2010 Honda Accord P/S pump talking a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
The P/S pump in my neighbor's 2010 Accord (111K) has become audible.

I've always heard to use Honda P/S fluid in Hondas. I'm OK with that but is there a "known & trusted" substitute?

I suppose the simplest route is the one to take first so I will get some Honda fluid.

My 06 started making some noise. Dumped all the PS fluid out and put new fresh fluid in, quiet it back down nicely.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
You're maintaining your neighbor's car?

You haven't paid attention to Kira's posts, have you? She maintains many friends' cars.

I turkey baste with every oil change. Use Prestone p/s fluid for Hondas. Never a problem. Bought it at Walmart.

Only Honda's power steering fluid is the right viscosity, of all the ‘recommended' ones I've seen.

Try replacing the fluid. If that doesn't work, many Hondas eventually need an o-ring replaced which allows air in and cavitation to start, which makes noise.

Idemitsu PSF is good. Napa has it at a good price.

Otherwise, any aftermarket PS that says Honda on the bottle. If you're near an O'Reilly, they have house brand Honda PS by the quart

Originally Posted by Kira
The P/S pump in my neighbor's 2010 Accord (111K) has become audible.

I've always heard to use Honda P/S fluid in Hondas. I'm OK with that but is there a "known & trusted" substitute?

I suppose the simplest route is the one to take first so I will get some Honda fluid.

Very Common problem..its probably the o-ring. Part number 91345-R70-A11

O-ring fails on the intake side..sucks air.

10mm bolt, put some rags under it to catch some spillage. I4 or V6 should be equally as easy and take less than 10 min start to finish.

Maybe one day I'll live on the edge and get a Honda and use regular PS fluid in it and see what happens.
smile.gif

I've used Red Line fluid in a Honda PS system before. It felt different, but seemed to work basically correctly. I didn't use it for all that terribly long, though, so I don't have comment re: system durability. I should note, too, that Red Line does not have a PS fluid they recommend for a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back