Gas theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $2.20 a gallon here in New Hampshire this week. Some of you guys live in the wrong state.

Originally Posted by ms21043
How is your gas being stolen? Due to rollover valves siphoning doesn't work anymore.

+1

There were a few instances of gas being stolen around here a few years back, but due to the valves the thieves just took a drill bit to the bottom of the gas tank. Real nice of them.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Then it's official. Gasoline in California costs more than in Canada. It's all about tax,

In the US, taxes (normally imposed by each state or not imposed) on fuel (mentioning taxes does not equal politics !!) are the primary reason for price differences across the country.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by ms21043
How is your gas being stolen? Due to rollover valves siphoning doesn't work anymore.

+1

There were a few instances of gas being stolen around here a few years back, but due to the valves the thieves just took a drill bit to the bottom of the gas tank. Real nice of them.

That seems like a risky proposition 🤔

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Yup. I'd never shoot someone for siphoning gas. I might take someone drilling my tank as a life threatening hostile act.

Right!.. things could go horribly bad🔥💥 for them and your ride/home in a jiffy!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I needed/wanted to drain a full tank of gas from a newish('04) car that I owned.

IIRC, I was finally able to get access to it by removing one of the rear seat cushions, but it wasn't exactly straight forward and wasn't something that could have been done quietly. I'd have been happy to siphon it out of the tank, even if I'd had to let it go all day(provided that I could watch it close enough to swap cans when one got full) but there was no working a hose down the filler neck.

Of course, that's in stark contrast to my MG, where I had a tank phase separate a few years ago and needed to empty the tank. I popped the trunk, disconnected the short flex pipe that ran from the filler neck to the top(filler neck) of the tank itself, then shoved a gasoline rated battery powered pump down in it. I think that was a 10 minute job. That car can be siphoned also-the big leaded filler gives plenty of working room to shove a BIG hose down in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Over $4/gallon? It's was still around $2.10 this morning around here.

I just park in the garage, but in our area I've never been concerned about any theft of any sort. Everyone knows everyone else, and we don't have to live in fear of someone stealing gas.

Thanks for cool story about Mayberry. It helps answer the OP question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back