2019 Mazda CX-5 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by madRiver
I think if it has a $5000 rebate a good buy potentially in warmer climate. I have yet to be in a diesel that does a below 0F cold start and offers heat/comfort to the passengers in a reasonable time compared to a gasser.

So youd buy a regular CX5 GTR or Signature with a 75hp and a torque penalty for the same price as one without it, if it gave you 3 to 4mpg more but required more maintenance? May I ask why?

Are you talking maintenance or exposure to repairs?

Compared to the gasser the only additional exposure to repairs is the DPF which in many states is warrantied well outside of the factor warranty. The vehicle does not use SCR.

Maintenance would probably be a secondary fuel filter every 2nd oil change or whatever.

Reliability could be an issue. Ya. I'd stay away myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I think if it has a $5000 rebate a good buy potentially in warmer climate. I have yet to be in a diesel that does a below 0F cold start and offers heat/comfort to the passengers in a reasonable time compared to a gasser.

So youd buy a regular CX5 GTR or Signature with a 75hp and a torque penalty for the same price as one without it, if it gave you 3 to 4mpg more but required more maintenance? May I ask why?

I would drive it around like a normal person eg 1000-1500 RPM shifts and see how either did in traffic.

Been happy with wife's "weak" Tiguan with only 184 hp and 227 ft-lbs of torque. I realize it is because it has peak torque at 1600 RPM which you can tap daily in normal driving. Yes it is gutless at top end but rarely use that compared to the low end which obviously constant.

So you'd like less low torque and more maintenance, more moving parts, along with @20 cent/gal higher fuel costs, at the same vehicle price point, in exchange for a few (3-4)mpg more?

How exactly do you "sell" this as a good thing?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Ws6

Are you talking maintenance or exposure to repairs?

Compared to the gasser the only additional exposure to repairs is the DPF which in many states is warrantied well outside of the factor warranty. The vehicle does not use SCR.

Maintenance would probably be a secondary fuel filter every 2nd oil change or whatever.

Reliability could be an issue. Ya. I'd stay away myself.

It has 2 turbos. That's 100% more turbo failure potential.
Mazda's 2.5T engine has a great track record for the last 4 years. Mazda's diesel 2.5's have a horrible track record in every country they're sold in for: Fuel dilution, warped heads, blown gaskets, overheating, etc.

All in exchange for 3-4mpg at the cost of higher fuel expense, worse low-end power, and a lot less horsepower. At a $5K/vehicle upcharge.

WHY!?

I like it - not sure why the fuel economy is so low. I would think a modern diesel in that size vehicle would be able to hit near 40 on the highway.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I like it - not sure why the fuel economy is so low. I would think a modern diesel in that size vehicle would be able to hit near 40 on the highway.

One would have hoped. What do you like about it?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Imp4
Soon to be a unicorn...

Yup, 15 years from now in some diner someone will be reading an Autotrader, and looking at it and "Wow! Diesel? Typo, eh?"

That's what I said when I discovered the Chevette was also offered with a diesel option!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a diesel.

I dig it.

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a diesel.

I dig it.

I just wish there was one with a carburetor and a manual.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a diesel.

I dig it.

A diesel with a carb...that's something I'd like to see too!

I'd prefer a gas burner with a carb. Give me all the refined interior with all the old proven tech that's stoopid simple to work on!

I am in shock that a mazda diesel actually made it to retail in the USA under current emissions and market conditions. I would stay away mainly because it wont sell and get Discontinued in a short period of time and be even harder to support long term. Take the nice gasoline turbo instead.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a diesel.

I dig it.

Surely you jest.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner

Surely you jest.

I'd honestly be totally down with an older and simpler drivetrain in a newer vehicle. Easy to own LONG term.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Surely you jest.

I'd honestly be totally down with an older and simpler drivetrain in a newer vehicle. Easy to own LONG term.

Are you having problems with your current CX-5?

Originally Posted by Ws6

Surely you jest.

Are you having problems with your current CX-5?

No, but if it had the equivalent of a sr20de and a solid manual, it would be a million mile vehicle. Just pop a new one in every 250k mi or so for $1200 including labor.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'd prefer a gas burner with a carb. Give me all the refined interior with all the old proven tech that's stoopid simple to work on!

In my experience modern fuel injection systems are way more reliable than carbureted engines ever were. I've never been stranded by a flooded injected engine.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by Ws6

In my experience modern fuel injection systems are way more reliable than carbureted engines ever were. I've never been stranded by a flooded injected engine.

I've never been stranded by a flooded carbureted engine. Temporarily delayed by a minute or two but not stranded and I'm still driving nothing but carbureted stuff 20 years later.

It takes a very basic understanding of how they work to get them to limp home if you have a problem. I've seen a brand new Ford focus at the dealership flood itself on a cold morning when my 86 Caprice started no problem. All the plugs had to be pulled out and cleaned to get it going, no idea why it flooded.

Carbs aren't perfect but there not like so many people seem to think they are.

My first motorcycle was carbureted and while it was fine in the summer, I hated sitting around waiting for it to warm up in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back