How Long Should it Take to Clear on an 09 Suburban?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago I put a new set of injectors on my 2009 Suburban to replace the 178,000 mile stockers. Runs GREAT. The next day, driving home from the train station, I noticed the inspection sticker was expired. I took it in and went to work. Al calls me and asked if I cleared any codes recently. It hit me like a ton of bricks... I had the battery disconnected the day before. He gave me a ten day extension and we figured it would clear by then. I also forgot about my Range Technologies thing. I unplugged it and have been driving the truck as much as I can but I just don't drive a LOT unless I am traveling.

I check it with my Innova code tool and it gives me a yellow light and shows the evap and a few other things pending but no DTCs or check engine light. I have a slight problem now because I cant leave it at the station after tomorrow since I will not have a valid inspection. I will surely get a ticket.

Anyone have any ideas how I can hurry this process along?

You have to go through the drive cycle to get it into a ready state. You could probably look up the manufacturer to see what it takes to get to the ready state. Stuff like minimum speed, distance, time engine is running, time to cool off, etc. If you don't go through it, it could take a week or more in normal driving before you hit all the specs. Or if you know what they all are, you could do it in a day.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

For EVAP on GM you generally need between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas.

GMs like long coast downs in gear (not low, just drive/OD) from 50 to 20 mph without touching the gas or brakes.

A good blast on the highway is also useful.

Start with an overnight cold engine then go through all this. Don't shut it off mid-warm-up to add gas or anything.

Look into the NY process and if you can have a monitor or two unsolved. Many states are set up this way.

Eljefino and Wolf, Thanks. Ill get up early tomorrow and try that. I have 7/8 of a tank of gas right now. That cold start is gonna be problem. It just isnt that cool around here yet.

I know I can one or two flags. Right now I have four.

Last edited:
If you have a scan tool, check the obd readyness monitors. When you have 1 or less monitor showing incomplete, then it'll pass OBD inspection.

I can't say for the chevy, but on my old 1999 Deville, driving to Jones Beach from Queens and back was enough to set enough monitors to the ready state to pass inspection.

Being from NY I know the frustration of emissions inspections. The CEL can be on all the time for all I care, If it ever turns on or you disconnect the battery during inspection month, it can cause A LOT of headache.

Yeah, my scan tool tells me I'm not ready. Evap is flashing and three others are out. I drove to Island Dragway in NJ last Sunday and drove to work in Manhattan yesterday. After looking over the checklist Wolf359 linked up, I realized I didn't do all of those things. ESPECIALLY the coast down. Going to do those when I get home today.
I dropped the ball. My work schedule has been crazy the past couple of months.

So I went through the procedure on the list Wolf359 posted and still not ready yet. Looks like I have to do it a couple more times. Know how difficult it is to find a road on Long Island where you can coast down to twenty mph from 55?
Luckily, there's a big state park at the end of a parkway not too far from my house. I used that parkway after 9 pm. I mostly had the whole thing to myself.

I don't think it has to be COLD cold when beginning the cycle, just cold enough to go through the open loop "cold start" process. Overnight usually does the trick.

Having 4 Monitors not ready after all this doesn't sound normal for a 2009 Suburban.

How many miles have you put on the truck since code clear?

1. O2 Sensor
2. O2 Sensor Heater
3. Catalyst
4. EVAP

These are the only 4 monitors that require any kind of drive cycle to ready, And usually ready in the succession I numbered them. If you have some 1-trip failure/s with the O2 Sensors......It can stall the Monitors for a really long time!

Did the truck ever have a random DTC/SES that you cleared & never gave it another thought?

Clinebarger, No. Never. The last CEL I had was a TPS two years ago. I swapped out the throttle body and that was that.

The whole thing cleared up last night. I had to drive to a friend's house about 15 miles away so I drove with the scanner hooked up. It was yellow all the way to his house. When I started the truck to go home, it was green.

I have a theory on why this took so long. My work schedule is a horror since July 1st. I have almost no time for anything else. As I mentioned earlier, I installed a new set of injectors on my engine to replace the originals. I had to disconnect the battery to do that. I also removed the air intake tube which has that little fresh air tube coming off the passenger side valve cover. I put it all back together, connected the battery and the truck ran great. At 4 am the next morning, I drove to the train station and parked for the day. On the way home I noticed the inspection sticker expired the last day of August. I dropped the car off the next morning but it would not pass. I took it home and removed the Range thing from my OBD port and figured I'd be good in a few days. After three days of mostly short commutes, I looked around more carefully and realized I left the tube that goes from the valve cover to the air box off. I reconnected that and a couple days later got the procedure list from this thread.
The truck has 178,000 miles on it. The 02 sensors were last changed at about 120,000.
Originally Posted by DGXR
I don't think it has to be COLD cold when beginning the cycle, just cold enough to go through the open loop "cold start" process. Overnight usually does the trick.

Last edited:
DGXR, I realized later on that I misread the temperature on the list. You are correct, it didn't have to be COLD.

I'm surprised the fresh air tube being disconnected didn't set some Bank 1/2 lean codes, Regardless.....Glad you got the monitors to ready!

If you don't mind me asking....Why did you replace the Injectors? The EV6 Bosch Injectors used in the GMT900 platform (Also used on Flex Fuel GMT800's) have been really good, Better than the Multec 2 injectors they replaced which were also quite reliable.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm surprised the fresh air tube being disconnected didn't set some Bank 1/2 lean codes, Regardless.....Glad you got the monitors to ready!

If you don't mind me asking....Why did you replace the Injectors? The EV6 Bosch Injectors used in the GMT900 platform (Also used on Flex Fuel GMT800's) have been really good, Better than the Multec 2 injectors they replaced which were also quite reliable.

Truck felt like it was struggling on big hills. Plugs, coils, wires, Air filter, etc were all good. It just seemed like the logical step. It definitely made a noticeable improvement off idle. It used to feel like you had to give it too much pedal to get moving in stop and go traffic too. Definitely smoother now.
Maybe our E10 gas in NY is hard on injectors?

Last edited:
Clinebarger, Also ONLY the EVAP marker was blinking on those last few days. Three others were not highlighted. I thought I was waiting for those. Now that all is back to normal, those same three are still out. I guess they don't apply to my truck.
The ones that are good are all solidly displayed now.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
DGXR, I realized later on that I misread the temperature on the list. You are correct, it didn't have to be COLD.

It doesn't have to be cold-cold but the air intake temp needs to be within a few degrees of the coolant temp.

Clinebarger, Also ONLY the EVAP marker was blinking on those last few days. Three others were not highlighted. I thought I was waiting for those. Now that all is back to normal, those same three are still out. I guess they don't apply to my truck.

My scan tools tell you which monitor don't apply to the vehicle by placing a N/A where the Complete/Not Complete is normally. Yours probably only highlights the ones that matter?

Components
Fuel system
Misfire
Catalyst
EVAP
O2 Heater
O2 Sensor

Should be it for yours, The last 4 being the ones that give issues.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

My scan tools tell you which monitor don't apply to the vehicle by placing a N/A where the Complete/Not Complete is normally. Yours probably only highlights the ones that matter?

Components
Fuel system
Misfire
Catalyst
EVAP
O2 Heater
O2 Sensor

Should be it for yours, The last 4 being the ones that give issues.

Thats how it seems It is pretty old

You get that cleared yet? Should take no longer than 3-4 days. Which is longer than a lot of other makes. Also if you have a code reader that does OEM enhanced codes there is another layer underneath that may be hiding stuff beneficial. My 06 Escalade has a few hiding that don't trip a check engine light. Like the tcc stuck open. Which is not good. But it's stuck open so... leave it alone for now. You might find codes like that. And that could be the reason the monitors are not coming ready if they are not by now

Leaky, I think it took so long because right now I have a six minute commute twice a day, six days a week. Just wasnt accumulating enough mileage to hit the tests.
It is finally clear and I have a new inspection sticker.
I bought my Innova code reader in 1999 or 2000. Im sure the new ones are better. Might be time for something more modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back