Thoughts on the GM strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sell GM some stuff, and the lines are still running.... Semis still taking product out...

So I guess some of GM's plants are still in production? I was expecting a layoff because of this. 54,000 workers on strike, so GM has some non union plants in North America? Why am I still working, are they still building the trucks?

Last edited:
If you read the company prospectus you will see just how much the top echelon earns. If the rank and file use this to justify increases in wage and benefits we customers will pay. And so it goes.

IMO they will strike themselves right out of a job in the not to distant future, 53K jobs going to new plants in Mexico.
Old news, greed, strikes = plant closings but they never learn.

GM = Record Profits. "Temps" working 40-60hrs a week. UAW took concessions back when GM needed bail out money. Two sides to the story and usually somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Old news, greed, record profits = Workers again getting used for profits.
I think the Mexico job thing is changing..................

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
We sell GM some stuff, and the lines are still running.... Semis still taking product out...

So I guess some of GM's plants are still in production? I was expecting a layoff because of this. 54,000 workers on strike, so GM has some non union plants in North America? Why am I still working, are they still building the trucks?

I live somewhat close to the GM truck plant. As far as I know, they stopped production.

Couple of questions:

Do temps pay union dues and/ or are they members?

Do the workers work for GM or the union? What happens if you want to keep working during a strike?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Couple of questions:

Do temps pay union dues and/ or are they members?

Do the workers work for GM or the union? What happens if you want to keep working during a strike?

If anyone is working it's as an unrepresented union member, unless some union people are crossing the picket lines. Typically, managers can work in place of union guys. There are a lot of federal rules/laws about unions, strikes and contract negotiations.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Are those parts going to Canada or Mexico? To my knowledge, those locations are not on strike.

IMO temps should be hired full-time if they are temps for over 3 months or so. Obviously the need for their labor is there. GM needs to pay temps close to the same wage as full time to keep them from abusing temps for lower money. These big companies arent going to do much for their workers out of the pure goodness of their hearts.

Originally Posted by Trav
IMO they will strike themselves right out of a job in the not to distant future, 53K jobs going to new plants in Mexico.
Old news, greed, strikes = plant closings but they never learn.

Exactly! I'll leave it at that.

Couldn't care less. Havent got any new GM vehicles in at work so it's out of sight and out of mind
wink.gif

Have quite a bit of family in NY out of work on strike. Not tons of options for employment, so many of the guys work at the chevy plant.

My brother in law is out on strike, his family just lost their health care, with a 1 year old baby at home.

The UAW is kicking in to give them emergency health insurance at a very high deductible, but I guess better than nothing.

There is some risk to union jobs and this is it.

Ohio is not a right to work state. Can the plant workers in Mexico even afford to buy what they build? Would you wanna live and earn what workers do in Mexico?

Back when GM was in bankruptcy there was something called shared sacrifice. Both management and hourly took big cuts in both pay and benefits for the good of the company. The day they came out of bankruptcy management got everything back. Hourly is still at 2008 concession rates and benies. Hourly is not happy with that. The street should go both ways.

My heart goes out to the workers who want/need to work during tbe strike.

Can't cross the picket line for obvious reasons but how do they deal with the financial aftermath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back