Aisin 09G transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems there are some folks that have answered my Volkswagen Tiguan 4Motion questions that have some prior experience. Here's another one. Thanks in advance. 40K mile transmission service, I have purchased the filter/gasket kit from Rock Auto and the specialty fill tube off of ebay. The next question is fluid, the OEM fluid is quite pricey and semi-synthetic it seems. The aftermarket fluids recommended but not certified run the gamut all the way down to $5 a quart for AcDelco fluid. Is this one of those Items I should use the factory fill, upgrade to a 100% synthetic or go for the lowest price. We are talking 6 quarts or so.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
It's just WS.

01.gif

You can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
It's just WS.

01.gif

You can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

My flavor of choice is Castrol Transmax Full-Synthetic Multi Vehicle.

Got a few cases worth at $0.95/qt during the last AAP clearance.

Sounds like it's not too picky then. Good. I will eye the shelves at Wally next time I walk through.

On my 12' Golf w/the Aisin 6-sp., the first transmission fluid/filter change (@ under 30k), I used a JWS Mobil 3309 fluid. This was a mistake and I could feel the transmission not shifting so smoothly (especially the 3 to 2/ 2 to 1 downshift.) Soon after I changed out the fluid to a JWS 3324. (Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF.) Much, much better. By the way, the magnets in the pan were way more coated w/metal shavings than I expected.) On the first fluid exchanged I used the draining port as the way to fill. What a mess and an absolutely insane method! I solved this by drilling a hole in the pan (above the fill line) and installing a Male to Female 45 Degree ELBOW Steel Fitting 1/8" NPT FasParts Fuel Air Oil. Then added a short transmission hose and now I was able to fill the transmission from the engine bay. Perfect. You could now have the car level on the ground, warmed up to temp and check the transmission level by unscrewing the transmission drain bolt and seeing how much fluid drips out. Also, changed out the spark plugs (NGK) and the fuel filter. What a huge improvement. Good luck w/your VW!

Purchased a new-to-me '14 Golf with 37K on the odo in April. 2.5L with Aisin 6 speed. Have been draining and refilling transmission when I can. Previous owner thrashed the fluid as it has been coffee-colored coming out. Originally started with some leftover Castrol IMV which should be a T-IV equivalent. Upon further reading, my model year seems to calling for WS equivalent so I have been doing Maxlife changes. Finally did pan drop and filter change. Before anyone chimes in to say just read the factory code, that sticker is conveniently missing in the trunk area (partially torn away) so I can't get the transmission code. The Castrol was too thick and it seems to shift better with the Maxlife.

Without pan drop, I get about 2 qts out which equals about 3 qts pumped in because of the absurd filling procedure.
With pan drop, an extra 1/2 to 1 qt came from mystery places. Magnet was slimy and the filter really is just a rock catcher.

Tightened bolts using my calibrated hand torque wrench (1/4'' ratchet holding by the head).

Pan drop is messy, no two ways about it. When you remove the filter, expect and be ready for more fluid to dump out.

Good luck and have a bunch of shop rags on hand.

There are two different fluids the dealer would sell. One is G 055 025 A2 and that one is Type T-IV. The second one is G 055 540 A2 and that one is WS. I had a Volkswagen with the first generation 09G and Toyota Type T-IV worked fine in it. I would expect similar results with my 2013 Passat and Toyota WS fluid. Either one of those two fluids is a lot cheaper than the fluids sold by the Volkswagen dealer. It is even worse when you look on eBay and find a bunch of frauds selling the fluids for crazy prices with crazy shipping fees. I truly hope those sellers got what is coming to them and no one has ever paid their prices. Byung fluid from such eBay sellers makes going to the Volkswagen dealer feel really cheap!!

That is two different fluids for these transmissons. There are other fluids for other transmissions in other Volkswagens too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back