RIP Jessi Combs

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Out the bottom? Well then common sense says then have one that goes out the top. They did tests in the 50's and early 60's ejecting at ground level at over mach speeds on test sleds, if it was done then I'm sure they are way better at it now.
Looky here at about 1:14 or so looks like a jet car almost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpUZ6D6rdw
I would want that option myself in high speed vehicle.

It's not that simple. Again, most of those aircraft were performing in air shows, and were traveling at very low speed, not 600 / 700+ MPH. The pilots also had a relatively long time to make the decision to eject, then do it. Most of the supersonic ejection tests were performed with dummies, not pilots.

The one's that weren't were usually capsule type systems, like the one's used in the XB-70, supersonic aircraft. And when those aircraft initiated those type of high speed ejections, they were at very high altitude. Not at or near ground level.

You obviously did not see the jets on the ground at high speed in the video. They where not flying at the time of ejection, its not that simple? Well that is why the engineers figured it out, they made very simple. ????
09.gif

And you did not read my post. The ground ejections were either stationary, or else they were no where near the speeds LSR cars travel when breaking records. Do you think you're the first one to come up with this? If there was any way the top LSR teams could make an ejection system of any type a viable safety solution in their cars, they would have.

That's awesome they awarded her for it!

I remember the Peterson Automotive Museum had a little tribute to her on the top floor of the building back in September/October. They had a couple of her bikes on display. What a shame.

Back