2016 H-D Limited FLHTK Spectro Golden 20W-50 Semi-Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA for this bike: 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK. I'm the second owner. Purchased May 2018 from original owner with 1024 miles on odometer. My first two oil changes I used Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 fully synthetic. Decided I was going to go Spectro Golden 20W-50 semi synthetic this spring 2019. I also use Drag Specialties oil filter part no. 0712-0021. The report pretty much speaks for itself and I'm very pleased. I'll do the next change @ 5,000 miles or close to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good-looking wear report! What's the cost on the Golden Spectro? I like the zinc and phosphorus numbers. And that flashpoint is outstanding. However...

I don't get it though... The sample of Mobil 1 20w50 VTwin I sent in a little over a month ago had "should be" values of 80 to 103. It came in at 93.6 after 5,065 miles, in a shared sump engine for that matter.

This Golden Spectro shows "should be" values of 75 to 90 and came in at 82.4 in a non shared sump. That's over 10 points below (for the used oil) the acceptable level they are saying for Mobil 1 VTwin.

The used Golden Spectro 20w50 looks like a thick 40wt by the charts I am looking at?

The wear report says it all, worked great. I'm just talking why are the numbers so different for an oil that should have the same rating?

Blackstone kind of did this to me with my M1 10 w40 4T two changes ago. They told me it stayed in grade when it had just barely falling out. Their reasoning or excuse was based upon the different beginning viscosity they adjust their scale from oil to oil. Meaning a thinner 40 weight at the start would have a lower bottom number in their eyes in order to still stay in grade. Relatively speaking with the 10w40 4T they are right, it did not lose much overall viscosity but it did drop below industry standards for a 40 weight by just a tenth or two.

Another terrific report on the Twin Cam engine. Love this engine and why I don't own an M-8 yet.
I use a 15/50 diesel semi syn which you most likely know already, numbers come in about the same and my viscosity runs lower then you, 6 UOAs I have done and the oil runs anywhere from 14.88 to 16.57.

Thanks for posting your UOA. Look like you get a fair amount of riding in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
Good-looking wear report! What's the cost on the Golden Spectro? I like the zinc and phosphorus numbers. And that flashpoint is outstanding.

Thanks! Spectro Golden 20W-50 prices vary from where you purchase it, to how many units you buy. I've seen prices from as low as $10 qt. to $12 and up. I'm no help on your comparison of oils questions.......sorry.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Another terrific report on the Twin Cam engine. Love this engine and why I don't own an M-8 yet.
I use a 15/50 diesel semi syn which you most likely know already, numbers come in about the same and my viscosity runs lower then you, 6 UOAs I have done and the oil runs anywhere from 14.88 to 16.57.

Thanks for posting your UOA. Look like you get a fair amount of riding in.

Thanks! I try to ride as many months of the year as I can. Last year after buying this bike it was off out west on a 5,000 mi. trip. Then one down south which put me in at around 8,000 mi. for the season. I'm laxing this year with just a little over 4,000 mi. now.

Last edited:
alarmguy said:

Same here. The 103 is a great engine. Stage 1 will go faster than I want. My indy Harley mechanic who have been working on Harleys for 30+ yrs think it's one of Harleys best.

Thing is, most indy mechanics have training on Evo/TC motors and, basically, none on the M8's ....

Originally Posted by troop
Thing is, most indy mechanics have training on Evo/TC motors and, basically, none on the M8's ....

True but Harley Davidson itself is in the same boat as the indy mechanics. They know the EVO/TC motors inside out and how to fix them.

The M8 engines have now been in production since 2017 and this model year 2020 Harley finally is building in some fixes for known issues since 2017.
Example,
1. They only came out with a solution for transmission fluid migrating into the primary in the late 2019 model year. Yes, transmission oil would migrate to the primary leaving the transmission with little to no oil.
2. There was also a major issue, with the lubrication system on some high performance bikes (CVO) or modified.

Completely new engine build, one expects issues, Staying with the twin cam until they issues were/are addressed isn't all bad.
By no means were all riders of the M8s affected, but some real heartbreaking stories out there and my god, the forums are loaded with them.
Again, issues being addressed and fixes are now developed, just saying doesn't matter if it was an Indy or HD mechanic as even HD themselves knew fixes for the problems at the time.

Last edited:
The Harley "oil migration" problem is nothing new and not exclusive to the M8 engines. Many TC engines had similar "oil migration" problems as well and can be confirmed with a Google search. Plus, I haven't even mentioned the spring loaded cam chain tensioner problems that plagued the TC motors for years until the Moco finally came out with the hydraulic tensioner "fix" in 2007. My 2009 TC at 43,000 miles has been bulletproof but I personally think the M8 will prove to be a big step forward for Harley over the TC engines.
49.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
The Harley "oil migration" problem is nothing new and not exclusive to the M8 engines. Many TC engines had similar "oil migration" problems as well and can be confirmed with a Google search. Plus, I haven't even mentioned the spring loaded cam chain tensioner problems that plagued the TC motors for years until the Moco finally came out with the hydraulic tensioner "fix" in 2007. My 2009 TC at 43,000 miles has been bulletproof but I personally think the M8 will prove to be a big step forward for Harley over the TC engines.
49.gif

I disagree with you and anyone can check google for what you are posting. Yes, the oil migration issue is new to the M8
Also, I am not comparing 10+ year old twin cam motorcycle engines with new M8 engines. I am comparing the twin cam engine that the M8 replaced and that would be the 2014 - 2016 Touring 103 HP Twin Cam engine even though you state your 2009 has been bullet proof.

Again, just comparing the Twin Cam that the M8 replaced, of course in time it will be a big step forward, it already is for the vast majority of riders, just a few too many unlucky ones out there. HD will get it right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back