Colt Ceases Civilian AR-15 Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense. If you know what your buying in a semi-AR Colt is way down that ladder. They relied on their LE/MiL quality AR's to get people to buy the lower tier AR15's sold to the masses. LaRue, Noveske, DD, CMMG, Bravo, STAG, S&W, etc... Unless LE or Mil a Colt is not the best choice in this flooded market.

It doesn't really surprise me. FN won the US military contract and replaced Colt as the supplier for M4s. The Colts couldn't hack it early on in Afghanistan. Radical Firearms just won a contract with Brazil to supply the civilian police forces with their RF-15s. Of course, the RF-15s were built to Brazil's specs.

Last edited:
Colt suspends productions of all models except those with military (or LE) contracts. It's simply a capacity issue right now.

Please keep political opinions and commentary to yourselves.

Stay factual or this will end.

Pretty disappointed to see this decision made by Colt. In my opinion every collection should have a Colt AR simply because of the lineage. Sounds like that won't be possible going forward.

Will be interesting to see if they still make parts available to channels other than LE/Gov.

I've seen Some PD trade in Colt's pop up. I guess going forward the departments that do this will get a bunch more money for their trade ins.

It is NOT politics,

Colt sucked, still sucks at AR's(Armalite rifle) That is why they lost that contract, Colt is known for their pistols.

Purely a business decision, which some on this board can't figure out.
crazy2.gif

Honestly nobody is prying my beloved Rock River Arms Entry Tactical, come and get it from my hands!.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Colt is known for their pistols.
Yeah and somehow they managed to mess that up too by ceasing production on those. The days of the "snake" pistols were sublime. I sold all of mine a few years ago at 5x what I paid for them .

It honestly makes sense to me. They have been broke before. More than once I think. They typically are a little higher priced. The market is flooded with cheap AR's from other manufacturers and there are plenty of consumers that buy on price. They really aren't competitive in that space. The military/LE contracts are their bread and butter. If they were trying to make a statement about civilian ownership of the product I think they would just come out and say it. It's a business decision.

Lots of people have expressed opinions and plans related to these. I have expressed my opinions by not owning one. Simple huh? Break my door down at 2 am and you will find us ready without this kit. Simple huh?

Honestly, the "tactical market" is really over saturated. All these companies supplying gear for the "elite operator" are going to have to close shop! War is coming to an end, and only companies like Eagle Industries($$$) are going to survive.

War is ending, the "ban all guns" party is in chaos. I see low priced guns/ammo and companies going down, since we are not fighting real wars, just wars on Twitter.

Last edited:
The recent Georgia homeowner defending against 3 armed attackers will probably cause sales to spike. That may not make a difference to Colt, because they probably are tired of the lawsuits from the civilian market.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
War is ending, the "ban all guns" party is in chaos. I see low priced guns/ammo and companies going down, since we are not fighting real wars, just wars on Twitter.

Really, Vern? War is ending? Tell that to families in Austin, Englewood, and Garfield Park neighborhoods in Chicago, which already have some of the most restrictive laws in the country. Everything you want to know about violence in Chicago.

Colt is making a business decision, just like several companies in my industry have in the past couple years. They are "right-sizing" their overhead vs. capacity, nothing more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back