Clock radio lights failing on '08 Honda CR-V

First the pre-set button lights failed. Now the face lighting where the time and station is displayed is starting to fail. When that goes the radio will be totally dark and since most of my driving tends to be in the dark, that's going to be a problem. This the factory radio/CD player and everything else is OK and works. Is there a way to replace the lights or does the entire radio need to be replaced? If so, is that a job that can be done by a guy with some skills but not an overabundance? Thanks for any insight that can be provided!

When I need a car radio, I buy them from Crutchfield. Just input your ride on their website, and you will have many choices to choose from.

Grab a Kenwood or JVC of your liking from wally-world and get a Metra or Scosche dash kit, wire harness and antenna adapter from Amazon.

Like BigD said, if you buy from Crutchfield, it will come with absolutely everything you need to install, with directions. However, you do pay MSRP when shopping at Crutchfield in order to get the niceties like free adapters and instructions. If you're not very well versed in car radio installation, it's hard to go wrong with Crutchfield, and they have GREAT service!

My '08 Pilot has the same issue, but it isn't exclusive to the stereo. Some climate control buttons are dark, as well as the moon roof and dome light controls.

There is a lot of stuff on owner forums and YouTube about folks replacing the button lights, but so far I've just lived with it.

The downside with many aftermarket radios is they lack the simple info that the factory radio offers.

OP, I'd recommend doing more research on the subject.
There are many hobbyists who've experienced the task of changing radio lights etc.
Some even offer the service of replacing the lights for you (after you send them your radio).
You can also have the brightness, or color of display/buttons changed as well.

Or you could just pick up a used radio on eBay. They seem to be in the $50-$100 range.

Pull the radio, open it up. There may be bulbs or LEDs you can replace. If they are integrated into the LCD display then don't try to remove them as they may not be replaceable, but there should definitely be something you can do about the buttons.

The skills you would need might range from nothing other than being able to pull outward or unscrew a light bulb, to needing a soldering iron and maybe a multimeter.

If all the preset button lights failed simultaneously, there is a good chance you just have a circuit board or solder joint crack and only need a soldering iron and maybe a scrap of wire to bridge a board trace crack, or a 10 cent resistor or something if a crack tore one up.

Although you'd think that by 2008 everyone would use LEDs for the backlights, if they're burning out you probably have "grain of wheat" incandescent bubs that are soldered in.

its hard to believe but i still see bulbs in modern stuff.
likely only because they are cheap and to add planned obsolescence.
and i replace with leds.
depending on what it is you can even pick your color.
and yes i have had ricers request a cluster,radio,and hvac be done in color changers.

my guess is burned out backlight bulbs. I still see them in some modern components. They won't be "user serviceable," could could be "advanced hobbyist serviceable."

I like afterrmarket, but they are never perfect. Daytime display brightness will be subject to concerns, and if they daytime is good enough, chances are it will provide too much glare at night. If the '08 has any display integration such as backup camera, integration with the dash screen (not sure when that started with honda), then it's not worth aftermarket.

Check out rebuilders. Maybe someone like X-modex re-lamps these.

Does your car radio have an AUX input? It is a 1/8" stereo jack that looks like a headphone jack but it is for input. Do you listen to a lot of AM radio or is it mostly. FM? Let's hear your answers because I have some solutions that do not require you to remove the radio or replace it much less money around under the dash with new wiring harnesses. Does you car have buttons on the steering wheel to control the radio and do you rely on them.

If your gal is as simple as it sounds which is to listen to music at night and control your radio at night no need for overkill. There may be much cheaper and simpler alternatives.

To all that suggested Crutchfield...Thanks! Got a Pioneer radio /cd player, dash kit, trim panel tools, and the pre-assembled wire harness for about $115. Installation was pretty easy. Putting the dash kit together was the hardest part. The optional pre-connected wire harness for $24 was absolutely worth it! Once finished, everything fit perfect and had a "factory" look. Going with Crutchfield was definitely the right decision. Looked at the factory radio once out and those lights would have been impossible to replace myself. Maybe could have been done by someone skilled in electronic repair but that might have cost the same or more than what I paid for new. Thanks again for the advise!

Although you'd think that by 2008 everyone would use LEDs for the backlights, if they're burning out you probably have "grain of wheat" incandescent bubs that are soldered in.
My problem is the dash lights . Seems like 2 back lights behind the speedometer is burnt. Would you by chance know what size bulbs i can replace them with? Already tried 74s but they are so dim. I think i need a different size

A few of the backlight bulbs in the factory radio in the Safari had gone dark. I replaced it with a JVC unit (which I hate more than I hate Delta faucets). I wanted to put the factory radio back in. I sourced standoffs, white LED's (they actually look more blue than white coming through the faceplate) with current limiting resistors built-in. Replaced all the incandescents.

Delco Radio Lamp Replacement_02a.jpg

Back