Are all manufactures terrible now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by honeeagle
Originally Posted by atikovi
Remembering that most people in the old days didn't expect cars from the 60's and even 70's to make it to 100,000 miles, and that now, most 10 and even 20 year old cars can make it to 200,000 miles without major issues, would tell you if they suck.

This ^^^^
how old are you? not being disrespectful but your post revels a lack of perspective .
Cars used to be crap and I remember before we had japanese imports all we got were european.The import wave made the domestics sit up and pay attention, took awhile but they are all the same now (statisicly) you have to drill down into the .000% to find a 'stinker'.
The anomaly will be breathlessly reported endlessly and repeated endlessly on the internet.
I remember the days before the web when magazines were the only way and they were only available 12 times a ..............year.
think about it

No disrespect taken. Part of gaining perspective is discussing issues with others - the entire purpose of my post. I was not a car owner in the 60's, 70's or 80's....sounds like a dark time for cars.

I had to comment.

1982 Chevrolet Malibu Classic, bought new.

Engine computer and A/C failed, from the beginning.

The first power steering pump went out at 33k. This was one of three pumps that had to be replaced over the life of the car.

The carburetor had to be rebuilt at 55k.

The transmission, in this 175 foot pound torque monster, had to be rebuilt at 68k.

The engine required 89-91 octane pump gas, likely owed to it's high(er) for the time compression ratio of 8.6 to 1. The car didn't have a tach, but the engine likely redlined around 4800 rpms.

We went through a couple of starters and alternators.

The car died at around 86-88k.

In 1982, the car stickered at $8,500, largely because of a few dealer installed add ons. The base Malibu Classic could be had in the low to mid 7k range.

People knocked Chrysler's K cars, although they were a lot more reliable than GM's offerings at the time.

OP: The main issue today, revolves around the need for advanced/sophisticated powertrains. I do remember the time when an engine equipped with port fuel injection was seen as a useless expense, but the use of then advanced technologies was only applied to one aspect of the car. In other words, a cutting edge port injection setup would likely be adapted to an engine with an OHV configuration, cast iron engine/block, married to a three speed automatic. Yet today, every part of a drivetrain is expensive, be it the configuration of the valvetrain; the use of forced induction with a high compression setup; high rpm engines require exotic materials and manufacturing processes/tolerances; a multi speed 6-9 speed automatic; multiple airbags; multiple cameras; braking/steering aids, etc

There is no way to "hide" or "bury" the expense of widespread technological/safety aids.

Originally Posted by NDL

1982 Chevrolet Malibu Classic, bought new.

People knocked Chrysler's K cars, although they were a lot more reliable than GM's offerings at the time

GM was also going through an upheaval during that time too - organizationally, GM was a complicated entity. I think the 80s marked the downfall of GM. They've tried shaking up the company, implementing automation and even trying to learn from Toyota at NUMMI(now the Tesla plant). I think GM probably learned more from Toyota than shaking up their operations and trying their hand at automation.

Ford was starting to share technology with their European counterparts. The K-Car was the best thing to happen to Chrysler, they created a new category, the minivan by building it on the K-Car platform. Chrysler also embraced technology more than GM did and they made a big push for EFI and electronic transmission controls, even though they aren't without issue.

For me, the late 90s was the beginning of the end of the "can't kill it" cars, when a friend's 1998 $30,000+ Mercedes C-Class seemed to spend way more time in the shop than it did on the road. The car had "Mercedes" written all over it with styling and luxury car tidbits throughout, but seemed to have been stuffed full of lowest-bidder Chinese components that failed multiple times during his ownership. It's mortifying when you pull up to the steep drive leading to your downtown high-rise, and your Mercedes won't climb the hill, or allow you to roll down your window to wave people around. This actually happened to him as the car approached 3 years old. That car destroyed any thoughts I'd ever had about bulletproof Mercedes quality.

Having grown up in the era (1980s) where Honda was the perceived king of the hill in reliability, the early 2000s was a smack in the jaw when Honda Accord transmissions started dropping like flies. Then came Toyota's sludging issues. And my 2002 Nissan Altima was nothing less than a total POS. This is the era, in my mind, where the Japanese allowed their once-bulletproof stable of cars to let thousands of their loyal followers down. Where do you go when you're looking for something that's built better than a Honda? Honda wasn't just a car maker among the people I associated with back then. They were a cult with a loyal following of repeat-buyers.

I had no great expectations of American cars during that time, because of what I witnessed while I worked at a Pontiac / Buick / GMC dealership. I didn't care about their "quality" because I didn't want one. But Japanese styling choices (like the current Civic - YUCK!!), combined with the American quality playing catch-up, swung me back to American cars around 2012, just in time to saddle myself with a Ford DCT. But the Focus still looked better than a Civic, Corolla or Sentra. The Japanese lost their edge with me when their quality dropped to "average", and their styling went in the toilet. Seriously, what blind, one-armed man did they hire to design their recent cars? There used to be nothing better, in my eyes, than a Civic. Now I wouldn't be seen in one.

I'm not sure there are any great choices to be made anymore, if you're shopping strictly for quality. Does anyone actually BUY a Mercedes, BMW or Audi anymore? I just assume with the astronomical maintenance costs associated with them, that everyone just leases them. But I really have no idea....I wouldn't even want to lease one. The Japanese used to be top of the heap, back in the good-ol' days (yes, I'm old), but they're all getting their components from the same Chinese manufacturers now, so I'm not sure if there's a way to win. I'll keep driving my Mustang with my fingers crossed. At least it looks good.

Originally Posted by supton
I'm waiting to see. I have one 1999 so it exemplifies 90's engineering. And I have a 2010 & 2011 so they too are examples of ... 1990's engineering. Err, nevermind... But I'm still going see how long these go and then I'll measure any new(er) vehicles by them. Unfortunately they're too new / too low miles to know if they are good or not; 155k, 190k and 212k, so I'm waiting to see. [The '99 has had a lot of work done to it over the last year so I suspect it's a good example of how the good old days weren't that good. The other two have been basically untouched, save for a serpentine tensioner and a brake caliper, so it too isn't that high quality.]

That 1999 car is at least 20 years old now. So that fact that it needed a lot of work at 20 years isn't surprising. The fact that it's provided decent service is found in that you still drive it today! It owes you nothing. I can promise you that the repairs you'll do on this 1999 model will be a lot less tedious and much less expensive then a car bought a decade later that is if you can repair it at all due to the extensive use of electronics and multiplexed systems.

The other cars are just 10 years old, get back to us in another five years, if you haven't already dumped them because they will be too expensive and complicated to repair if they can be repaired at all that is.
crackmeup2.gif

I've heard a lot of this "cars today are too high tech and you can't even fix them anymore, why can't they make em like the old days" stuff for 25+ years, and I'm sure they were saying the same things before then, too.

Meanwhile, cars just keep getting more reliable, in my experience. And I'll take diagnosing issues on a modern OBD-II car over trying to figure out why my 1988 Caprice with its electronic carburetor and maze of vacuum hoses would die at stoplights.

Originally Posted by brages
I've heard a lot of this "cars today are too high tech and you can't even fix them anymore, why can't they make em like the old days" stuff for 25+ years, and I'm sure they were saying the same things before then, too.

Meanwhile, cars just keep getting more reliable, in my experience. And I'll take diagnosing issues on a modern OBD-II car over trying to figure out why my 1988 Caprice with its electronic carburetor and maze of vacuum hoses would die at stoplights.

They are more reliable but when they break... and there's more of it to break too. Multiple computers, more wires, more gizmos.

Internet amplification might be a bigger problem than actual car repairs, but you have to admit, cars are expensive.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
That 1999 car is at least 20 years old now. So that fact that it needed a lot of work at 20 years isn't surprising. The fact that it's provided decent service is found in that you still drive it today! It owes you nothing. I can promise you that the repairs you'll do on this 1999 model will be a lot less tedious and much less expensive then a car bought a decade later that is if you can repair it at all due to the extensive use of electronics and multiplexed systems.

That 1999 model just passed 200k, and these days everyone says 200k is the new 100k. So when one of the more reliable models has the same failure modes as lesser ones, one has to question just how reliable it is.

The other cars are just 10 years old, get back to us in another five years, if you haven't already dumped them because they will be too expensive and complicated to repair if they can be repaired at all that is.
crackmeup2.gif

The truck will likely go away in a couple of years, before does need repairs. Too expensive to repair, and too big for me to work on by myself. The other Camry might stick around though. Wife can't find anything else she wants (within reasonable price). I don't see us owning anything for 20 years, that just seems unlikely, not with all the road salt up here.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
For me, the late 90s was the beginning of the end of the "can't kill it" cars, when a friend's 1998 $30,000+ Mercedes C-Class seemed to spend way more time in the shop than it did on the road. The car had "Mercedes" written all over it with styling and luxury car tidbits throughout, but seemed to have been stuffed full of lowest-bidder Chinese components that failed multiple times during his ownership. It's mortifying when you pull up to the steep drive leading to your downtown high-rise, and your Mercedes won't climb the hill, or allow you to roll down your window to wave people around. This actually happened to him as the car approached 3 years old. That car destroyed any thoughts I'd ever had about bulletproof Mercedes quality.

Having grown up in the era (1980s) where Honda was the perceived king of the hill in reliability, the early 2000s was a smack in the jaw when Honda Accord transmissions started dropping like flies. Then came Toyota's sludging issues. And my 2002 Nissan Altima was nothing less than a total POS. This is the era, in my mind, where the Japanese allowed their once-bulletproof stable of cars to let thousands of their loyal followers down. Where do you go when you're looking for something that's built better than a Honda? Honda wasn't just a car maker among the people I associated with back then. They were a cult with a loyal following of repeat-buyers.

I had no great expectations of American cars during that time, because of what I witnessed while I worked at a Pontiac / Buick / GMC dealership. I didn't care about their "quality" because I didn't want one. But Japanese styling choices (like the current Civic - YUCK!!), combined with the American quality playing catch-up, swung me back to American cars around 2012, just in time to saddle myself with a Ford DCT. But the Focus still looked better than a Civic, Corolla or Sentra. The Japanese lost their edge with me when their quality dropped to "average", and their styling went in the toilet. Seriously, what blind, one-armed man did they hire to design their recent cars? There used to be nothing better, in my eyes, than a Civic. Now I wouldn't be seen in one.

I'm not sure there are any great choices to be made anymore, if you're shopping strictly for quality. Does anyone actually BUY a Mercedes, BMW or Audi anymore? I just assume with the astronomical maintenance costs associated with them, that everyone just leases them. But I really have no idea....I wouldn't even want to lease one. The Japanese used to be top of the heap, back in the good-ol' days (yes, I'm old), but they're all getting their components from the same Chinese manufacturers now, so I'm not sure if there's a way to win. I'll keep driving my Mustang with my fingers crossed. At least it looks good.

I think the problem with today's Japanese cars is that they're not made in Japan anymore.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I think the problem with today's Japanese cars is that they're not made in Japan anymore.

The lines have been blurred, mostly. A Camry made in the US vs. one made in Japan is indistinguishable. Same thing with most of Toyota and Honda's lineup. Both of them are work-sharing between Japan and the US. Honda is involving their Ohio operations more and with Brexit looming, their plants in Ohio might be exporting the Civic and CR-V to Europe when Honda UK Manufacturing shuts down next year.

My parent's 2005 Lexus LS430 still has that expensive, luxurious feel that made Lexus great in the 1990s-mid 2000s. I sat in a new RX350 in a carpool(made in Canada) and was a passenger/driver in the newer ES(Japan). There was a drop in feel and finish with the newer cars. A friend just bought an 2018 GX460 and while it did have almost the same feel and finish as the older LS, there was some cheapness I can pick up.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Honestly, reading as much as I do it hard to not come to the conclusion that all car manufactures suck now. Every single one of them is riding the line between minimizing costs and maximizing profits. Contracts going to the lowest bidder crap and they are totally willing to accept 5% of component A will be defective from the supplier within 500 miles because they charge $X dollars less than the other supplier and it's a net gain in $$$ compared to the warranty costs. Yes, we all drove a car from a manufacture in the past for 200K miles with absolutely no problems - those days are over IMO. Between electronics, transmissions with too many gears, the need for constant innovation, manufacturing practices that penalize mistakes let alone actually stopping the line and fixing the problem immediately because it costs too much money, etc it has become nearly impossible to mass produce reliable vehicles with even a small number of defects.

Even the supposedly most reliable like Toyota/Lexus have there issues. The 8-speed Aisin transmission used in their transverse mounted vehicles has been a source of widespread complaints since it's it's introduction in 2016. I was recently reading the comments of someone who wrote a tune for the 8-speed and his comments were basically, "Wow...I'm not saying the factory tune was rushed but clearly this was done on a budget and/or with limited time as the tune was simplistic with many shortcuts." This was for a transmission that has been used in Toyota/Lexus' best selling vehicles. Lexus just recently released an updated ECU flash to deal with the drivability issues of the 8-speed THREE years after it's introduction.

I seems every manufacture is choosing cost control over quality now.

Unbelievable..........

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

Man, you hit the nail on the head with the current Civic. Could they have made it any uglier? I don't think so. I just can't imagine whoever is in charge of allowing the new models to go into production looking at that car and saying "yep, that's a good looking car right there."
37.gif

any of you remember the days of old ,when you lent your car to a friend?
there were questions that needed to be addressed - how to start it .
yes back then it was -pump the gas twice and twice only ,then 1/2 way down before you crank it, that's from cold ,hot was a completely differant book.
and
never mind if it keeps running after the key is off ,it will stop eventually.
almost infinite variables
we got it good today

Haha I remember cars from the 70s that would keep running for several minutes after they were shut off.

yes back then it was -pump the gas twice and twice only ,then 1/2 way down before you crank it, that's from cold ,hot was a completely differant book.
and
we got it good today

Yep, and doors that creaked and groaned when opening or closing. Some cars required the person to lift up on the door handle slightly to close it. The hinges would sag.

Hole in the floor from rust? Take a empty coffee can, cut it and flatten it. Place over hole, lay rubber floor mat over that. Simple fix. Leaky windows were harder to deal with. Leaking trunk lid? Drill a hole for the water to drain.

Bump or get get bumped by another car and get the bumpers locked up? Have fun bouncing.

Today's cars are way ahead in reliability and upkeep than the cars of yesteryear.

Originally Posted by PimTac
[

Yep, and doors that creaked and groaned when opening or closing. Some cars required the person to lift up on the door handle slightly to close it. The hinges would sag.

Hole in the floor from rust? Take a empty coffee can, cut it and flatten it. Place over hole, lay rubber floor mat over that. Simple fix. Leaky windows were harder to deal with. Leaking trunk lid? Drill a hole for the water to drain.

Bump or get get bumped by another car and get the bumpers locked up? Have fun bouncing.

Today's cars are way ahead in reliability and upkeep than the cars of yesteryear.

However when that modern day reliable car breaks, and it will, it will be difficult to repair and outrageous costly too. At least with older, more simplistic cars you could fix them cheaply and easily.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
However when that modern day reliable car breaks, and it will, it will be difficult to repair and outrageous costly too. At least with older, more simplistic cars you could fix them cheaply and easily.

So the year is 1969 and you blew the motor in your mustang GT. How much did that cost to repair compared to having a current-gen 5.0 blow up, including inflation?

Not to mention the whole book of emissions and safety standards now.

Cars today have air bags so if in accident car is toast and older days I hooked car between 2 trees with come a long. Pulled until gaps looked good and drove for years. We used string and level to do the alignment and was able to get parts at the junkyard. I miss those days.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Cars today have air bags so if in accident car is toast and older days I hooked car between 2 trees with come a long. Pulled until gaps looked good and drove for years. We used string and level to do the alignment and was able to get parts at the junkyard. I miss those days.

Were any of those the one that had the missing radiator off the boat?

Originally Posted by tiger862

Cars of today? Airbags have been around since the 80's. Junkyards still around, and you can pull it yourself to save money. In the old days, they wouldn't let you in the yard to take parts off. And of course there is Ebay and carparts.com so you don't even have to leave home for most parts.

and
we got it good today

This posted cracked me up. I had a ‘79 Powerwagon like this...

lol.gif

You had to put it in neutral and rev the rpms while stopped if it was too cold outside. And it choked out with too much throttle during a turn... not the ideal time to lose power steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back