Is Red Line 0w40 worth it over or Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JAG
As for protecting better, I don't know because that is hard to determine. For steel and iron wear, I put more faith in examining how much material an oil magnet catches than I do a UOA. UOAs are actually good at detecting corrosive wear because of the small particle sizes usually involved, and I have noticed that Red Line oils tend to have higher copper and/or lead UOA wear numbers than mainstream brands. That's not necessarily a problem. Whether it is depends on how high the wear numbers are, what the bearing materials in the engine are made of, whether it has a copper oil cooler, and prior UOA history.

As for lasting longer than those other two oils, I doubt it. Those oils meet very demanding oil specifications designed for long oil change intervals.

Great points.

Soooooo I suspected I needed a valve cover gasket This morning. Needed an oil change anyways....
Smelled a bit of oil on exhaust manifold-
my Z3 with 50,000 miles. It's a 2000.

I've been using Redline in the car since I got it with 32k on the clock
My mechanic said he never ever sees the valve train so clean at this mileage
as new
(I'll post pics later)

Originally Posted by BillyE
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Well it's very interesting how they get the high HTHS viscosities for each grade. In every grade, HTHS is higher than all other competitors. So either the formulation is different or their testing procedures are different. I had previously owed this to POE content...

Very high quality, shear stable VII's.

Do you know that or are you guessing? I have seen it stated by others as fact that most RL products contain no VIIs.

Their race oils don't, but their street oils do. The 0w40 has a lot of VII's, and the last time I checked, its temporary shear ratio was not as good as M1 0w40.

[Linked Image]

Reactions: a5m
Found on Red Line website interesting info about 5w40
Thicker oil film at operating temperature than a petroleum 20W50

Originally Posted by 330indy
Soooooo I suspected I needed a valve cover gasket This morning. Needed an oil change anyways....
Smelled a bit of oil on exhaust manifold-
my Z3 with 50,000 miles. It's a 2000.

I've been using Redline in the car since I got it with 32k on the clock
My mechanic said he never ever sees the valve train so clean at this mileage
as new
(I'll post pics later)

So could you share the OCI been used?

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Their race oils don't, but their street oils do. The 0w40 has a lot of VII's, and the last time I checked, its temporary shear ratio was not as good as M1 0w40.

Where did you get your redline composition information?

Redline 0w40 since acquiring the car with 32k miles as an 18 year old car. It super-cleaned it up after four OCIs with Redline. Now at about 50k miles, average interval is 4K
So clean
Redline is the stuff

Last edited:

It's been said many times on BITOG over the years.

Originally Posted by 330indy
It's not overkill for my valued not-inexpensive cars (BMWs)

Well maybe what is the documented tangible that its going to give your BMW over lets say a cheaper oil like QSUD?

It's been said many times on BITOG over the years.

And I've seen it stated otherwise. So which is right? Maybe it doesn't matter.

Impressive pics. Redline motor oil certainly keeps engines clean. But, at a cost. I rather purchase Redline oil than a bottle of alcohol. Priorities!

Reactions: a5m
me too. (regarding the priority over booze, LOL)
I go extended OCIs (by time) in a couple garage queens with 100% confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back