Construction - Vintage Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
A also remember when Car Dealerships would shine WW2 Spot Lights into the air to announce the arrival of 'new' model year cars.

I haven't seen spot lights in the sky for the last 20 years or so. I wondered what happened to them.

Smudge pots were awesome!! That fiery eerie glow in the night around road construction. I remember them being used everywhere back in the early 80s along with pylons,back when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. We were fascinated with them!!

Originally Posted by Kestas
I barely remember them in the early 60s. They used them in our neighborhood when repairing the sidewalk.

Your comment brought back a memory of the big 1965 earthquake we had here. Damage was extensive and these pots were everywhere as streets had large cracks and many buildings downtown were severely damaged.

https://www.historylink.org/File/1986

I remember them very well but didn't know they were called "Smudge Pots". We just called them road torches.

The spot lights... They're still in use around here. There's a shopping center, car dealer and local 1/4 mile race track that use them.

Originally Posted by iahawk
The wild thing was that the light came from a small flame and the illumination was all from the giant mirrored reflector in the spotlight.

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Look again.... they used carbon rods and an electric arc!

Yes, there was a small flame where the arc was formed between the carbon rods... but the electric arc was bright as he!!
The ones I remember had old "Flathead 6" Chrysler engines in them.

It's how modern HID lights get their heritage.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I haven't seen spot lights in the sky for the last 20 years or so. I wondered what happened to them.

I think the FAA may have had something to say about it. Especially around large cities and metropolitan areas. I know that is something pilots would not be too happy to get hit with on final approach. Or any other time for that matter.

I believe when the Luxor in Las Vegas wanted to go with their large spotlight on the tip of their pyramid hotel, they had to get special permission from the FAA before they were allowed to proceed. This was due to it being located so close to McCarran International Airport in downtown Las Vegas. Pilots as far away as Los Angeles have reported seeing it on clear nights.

I'm sure other cities like Los Angeles, that have many commercial airports in a relatively confined airspace, have rules regarding these things shining everywhere in the night sky. Air traffic today is much greater, and far more congested than it was back in the 50's and early 60's, when these things were everywhere.

Originally Posted by Errtt
I recall them here and there.
Also seem to recall rows of them used in orchards for some odd reason.

They were used in orchards to prevent frost damage.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by Errtt
I recall them here and there.
Also seem to recall rows of them used in orchards for some odd reason.

They were used in orchards to prevent frost damage.

Citrus orchards used what were called Salamander Heaters. They were much larger than the roadside "bombs", burned a LOT more fuel, (usually Diesel), and had very high BTU outputs. Some were over 400,000 BTU's. They took a while to get going. But once lit up, and heated to operating temperature they sounded like a jet engine. The burner stack would glow cherry red.

The whole idea was to warm the air in the orchard just enough to keep frost from forming on the leaves of the citrus trees, killing them. Naturally, they only worked on very still nights. Any breeze or wind would render them ineffective.

Citrus Orchard Smudge Pot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back