Why is Mobil Super so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it..why is Mobil Super so expensive? I thought M1 was the premium line from XOM? But M-Super is just as much as M1 EP... and M1 EP is advertised as a 15k drain, whereas M-Super is only 5k...so what gives??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well it's "Super." And probably because WMT screwed up the price on their website.

Imo, like it's predecessor Mobile Clean 7500, MSS is kind of an orphan oil for XOM. I've never seen either one make to the shelves of local WMs. I thought when MSS was introduced that would be the case here. Apparently in some regions of the country it may have made it to some WM store shelves. But yeah, might well go M1 especially when it's on rollback, even better when there's a rebate to stack.

The Mobil 1 product (bottom) is on rollback pricing. Wait till the rollback ends and check prices again.
I agree that the "super" should be less expensive considering the equivalent product offerings from other brands. Supertech synthetic 5w30 is way cheaper, and dexos D1G2 approved:
[Linked Image]

This is a marketing issue for companies like EM and Shell who are putting out multiple product lines with unclear definitions or purposes. For the oil conscious consumer, if they see different product lines at or near the same price they will generally purchase what they perceive as the best one.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Imo, like it's predecessor Mobile Clean 7500, MSS is kind of an orphan oil for XOM. I've never seen either one make to the shelves of local WMs. I thought when MSS was introduced that would be the case here. Apparently in some regions of the country it may have made it to some WM store shelves. But yeah, might well go M1 especially when it's on rollback, even better when there's a rebate to stack.

Right! M1 after rebate was like $8 for 5qts..who in their right mind would opt for M-Super over M1, rebate or not??

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is a marketing issue for companies like EM and Shell who are putting out multiple product lines with unclear definitions or purposes. For the oil conscious consumer, if they see different product lines at or near the same price they will generally purchase what they perceive as the best one.

True, I can see that happening. But heck..for $7 to $8 less you can get an equally good or better lube in QSUD, ST, Magnatec or ProDS. SMDH

Last edited:
Only Super is Chrysler certified and what Mobil puts on there oil finder. I ran Mobil 5000 and motor was spotless so I originally seen Super is what was recommended I looked at price then said no thanks.

The Rural King I shop at has Mobil Super Synthetic on the shelves for $17 and some change every day price. Mobil Super 5000 is $12.99 every day price.

Originally Posted by DGXR
The Mobil 1 product (bottom) is on rollback pricing. Wait till the rollback ends and check prices again.
I agree that the "super" should be less expensive considering the equivalent product offerings from other brands. Supertech synthetic 5w30 is way cheaper, and dexos D1G2 approved:
[Linked Image]

That price isn't right either. It's $15.98 for the 5qt jug of all ST full syn's.

Originally Posted by BigD1
The Rural King I shop at has Mobil Super Synthetic on the shelves for $17 and some change every day price. Mobil Super 5000 is $12.99 every day price.

Yep, its that pice at my Rural King

Last edited:
Being 1/2 Scot and 1/2 Pol I am an ardent penny pincher , but for the price of 2 gallons of gas that are gone in a day Im not worried about 6 bucks one way or the other.

Now if I had to use it for business or a fleet that would be another thing.

But yeah, the Super should be at least a few bucks under the M1. marketing wise - and seeing the tick marks for performance on the back label..

Maybe its leveling the cost for the 0W40 Euro and 0W20 EP that should be priced at over 40 bucks for 4 litres!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Being 1/2 Scot and 1/2 Pol I am an ardent penny pincher , but for the price of 2 gallons of gas that are gone in a day Im not worried about 6 bucks one way or the other.

Now if I had to use it for business or a fleet that would be another thing.

But year the Super shou'd be at leat a few bucks under the M1.

Maybe its leveling the cost for the 0W40 and EP that should be priced at over 40 bucks for 4 litres!

Right, $6 or $7 isn't going to change my way of life but I'm also not in the business of just throwing money away on a "lesser" product. I put lesser in quotes because while I'm sure M-Super is a fine lube, it's not M1 EP fine, is it???

Originally Posted by Imp4
Guys, it's a mismarked price.
That's all.

Well then they also mismarked the 5/30 HiMi as well. And the various other grades of M-Super aren't priced all that friendlier imo.
[Linked Image]

Ideally M Super Syn should be their "Family dollar" synthetic, priced a little different so it doesn't compete with Walmart or Autozone.

Walmart is too huge to get ripped off by not having the real brand name here. For "whatever reason" they carry both.

Remember 20 years ago when they merged with Exxon, and had to deal with all that orphaned Superflo product line? Maybe this is a distant grandchild.

Maybe they also have more synthetic basestock than they know what to do with, and don't want to interfere with their M1 "bloodline".

This seems like the [censored] child I'd get for $2/qt in an autozone clearance.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't get it..why is Mobil Super so expensive? I thought M1 was the premium line from XOM? But M-Super is just as much as M1 EP... and M1 EP is advertised as a 15k drain, whereas M-Super is only 5k...so what gives??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Super has a 7$ rebate but your better off getting the M1 and filter with the 17$ rebate oil and filter 19$ total incl tax

Originally Posted by tiger862
Only Super is Chrysler certified and what Mobil puts on there oil finder. I ran Mobil 5000 and motor was spotless so I originally seen Super is what was recommended I looked at price then said no thanks.

BiL 5.3L GM did 400k on that oil … but it was the cheapest oil change at the Mobil 1 quick lube …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back