Dodge Ram 2500 Transfer Case leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transfer case on my brother in law's Ram 2500 is leaking from this area. It is a NV271 transfer case. Anyone know what is inside the case behind this bolt? Some mechanic told me there might someone kind of tension spring there and also that there should be a washer there although I don't see one. I wanted to add / replace the washer but don't want to screw anything up.

If anyone has any idea what washer needs to go there and if it is ok to unbolt the bolt please let me know.

ram2.jpg

ram.jpg

There's a spring loaded plunger that sits on top of that. It keeps pressure on the shift rail. The tip of the plunger wears out, or the spring can break. So they are replaceable from the outside. I'm guessing someone didn't put the washer back on when replacing the spring or plunger.

100% okay to unbolt. The worst that will happen is you'll have to chase the 2 pieces that fall out.

The plunger looks like a bullet

The oil will drain itself once you unbolt it
lol.gif

Some will come out, not all. I'd just refill with the proper ATF once you have it fixed.

Originally Posted by Miller88
There's a spring loaded plunger that sits on top of that. It keeps pressure on the shift rail. The tip of the plunger wears out, or the spring can break. So they are replaceable from the outside. I'm guessing someone didn't put the washer back on when replacing the spring or plunger.

100% okay to unbolt. The worst that will happen is you'll have to chase the 2 pieces that fall out.

The plunger looks like a bullet

Is there any special way it needs to go back in once it is unbolted, for example the shift rail doesn't have to be in a special position?

Last edited:
Nope. It might be a bit hard to go back in because the shift rail/lever might move a bit. But if you tighten it down with the spring, as soon as you move the lever everything will click fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back