Which additive for best MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With $4/gallon gas looking like it'll be a reality here soon I want to try to get as much out of my gas as I can.

My commutes to school and work are both less than 5 miles but I still do some driving around town shopping and giving people rides every now and then.

My average MPG usually hangs around 15.5, highest it's been is 22 and that was driving from Columbus to Cincinnati doing about 80 in the left lane.

I've tried the Lucas "tune up in a bottle" and got 19mpg city with that stuff but its kinda expensive. I've heard good stuff about MMO but never tried it yet. Worth a try or no?

The best MPG is going to be driving style.

Your statement about going 80MPH and wanting the best MPG isnt going to give you the results you want.

By the way..the money you spend on additives negates the cost/gallon/fuel consumed.

Driving with saving gas in mind, a good tune up, and making sure the tires are properly inflated are the best things you can do to boost mpg. Additives? I won't comment about pros or cons.

Put some real synthetic in that thing and leave it for 10K.

That will save you fuel and oil.

Then Adjust your driving style.

If I was 5 miles from work it get a 250CC DP motorbike

for Spring thru fall commutes.

Do you have to "look good" when you get to work?

Tire pressure, excessive weight in the back, make the most of your outings by combining to do's into a single trip. Change your oil, air filter and plugs on time. Use a quality fuel like a TT brand. Try to avoid excessive idling and stop/go routes.

Just a few things...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
My average MPG usually hangs around 15.5,

In a CR-V??? Do you always pull a U-Haul trailer behind you?

I suspect around town just won't get better. But run the math: if you're getting 15mpg but only doing 1,000 miles of this short trip stuff around town... will any attempt to get mpg pay off? It sounds like your short trips are just that, and not the bulk of your bill.

Now 80mph on the interstate, I'd expect a bit more, but at 80mph everything does "poorly". Try 70mph or even 60mph. Try to drive during outside of rush hour if that is what it takes to avoid getting run over.

In the end, IMO, this might be as good as it gets, and any attempt to do better will likely cost you more in the end (additives, mpg boosters, different car).

what they said...re-train your brain, and your right foot.
or...do what i did, buy a used hybrid... they're cheap.

In my Sable, i was like you only a 5 mi commute, 15-16 around town. but setting cruise to the posted speed limit i was able to tickle 30 mpg on the HWY( not bad for a 2 ton brick)
traded it in on my c-max. and the only change being the car, I've doubled my town mileage. it's consistently around 30, and mid to high 30's on the hwy.(these are dash indicated figures, not calculated)

the other day, on a particularly straight and level stretch of back road, with the cruise set @ 55mph(legal speed limit), it got an indicated 42mpg without the electric motor. purely on the gas engine.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
My average MPG usually hangs around 15.5,

In a CR-V??? Do you always pull a U-Haul trailer behind you?

+1

That sounds really low for a CR-V. Even when driving like an A-hole in my BMW I still don't get under 20 mpg with a 6 cylinder. I'd drive more conservatively and instead of additives spend money on tune-up parts like air filter and spark plugs which might need refreshing. Also make sure your alignment is good and your tires are at the proper pressure.

Ohio troopers are notorious for writing speeding tickets. How does the OP avoid them at 80?

I will admit I am a bit lead-footed and need to work on that for sure.

About the MPG I get currently - I have a competition sound system in the trunk which weighs at least 300 pounds if not more. However, even if I drive without that in there (sometimes to haul large items I'll take the speaker box out to free up my trunk space) my average still hangs around there just driving the car in it's "stock" state.

I replaced the spark plugs and air filter summer last year. I did not however replace the ignition coils yet. The tires are all properly inflated to the spec of 30psi which honestly sounds low because my mom has an Element which specs 34 psi.

Next OCI I will switch to synthetic for sure.

Inflate tires to max sidewall, or as close to it as you can handle (on our "wonderful " OH roads), try to stay under 70-it'll make a difference. Thinner synthetic oil (no thinner than your engine is rated for), proper alignment, a clean air filter, new O2 sensors, no dragging brakes. All will make a difference, but the loose nut behind the wheel makes the most difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back