Anyone buy/run used tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get rid of my used tires on CL to save the disposal fee

i always put perfect for burn out use, spare temporary use(like just to get you by to pay day), or off road use only

as a general disclaimer.. even if they are in perfect condition with more then enough tread to mount..

It's called "Recycling"
smile.gif
smile.gif

it's the best thing to do with a perfectly good tire..

that is what i do with my window wipers i give them a second life on someone else car ( even if they are streaking bad they will work perfectly fine on another car as they have a different shape windscreen) and the magically work great again...(plus they are in better and working condition compared to the other wipers they may have)

Last edited:
A while ago, I posted a similar question. Not to use the used tires but out of curiosity, how much people actually save and if its worth the hassle. I concluded savings are not worth the trouble unless of course, you get them from a private seller who just wants to get rid of it.

I had 3 wheels dented over the period of years and I was looking for pre-owned wheels everywhere. Found a guy who wanted to get rid of the wheels as well as tires as he had sold the car. He didn't want to take efforts of removing the tires. I took them gladly and running now. I was going to change the old tires anyways. But I would not go out of my way to find used tires. Just a visit to Walmart gives you decent options under $65/tire. How cheaper can one find used tire from a business?

I sell my tires with about 5/32 that I use for Minnesota winters on Craigslist. I don't use dedicated snow tires, but tires like Continental Extreme 06 ultra high performance since I still "sport drive" in the winter and need a good handling ultra tire and still need tread depth for our snow. They are about 2 years old since I have summer tires and rims during the summer months.

When I was a kid we had a huge junkyard across the street and used to buy used tires that were like new for pennies on the dollar. One time I
snagged a like new pair of red wall tires. Those were sweet. I bought a used tire once for my wife Jeep because one was damaged and the others only had
2/32s of treadwear gone. On a all wheel drive they have to have exactly the same tread depth. The first one I bought was defective and the ebay seller sent me a shipping label to return it and then they provided me with a good tire that was acceptable. They were Goodyear Forterra's on the Jeep. I have since replaced them with the same brand however the replacements were brand new from discount tire. Used tires have their place but in most cases I wouldn't buy them. Sometimes you can buy like new take off's for a huge discount and there's nothing wrong with them.

Not really, but I have bought used cars that came with .... used tires. That I have driven without a care. I did buy a set of nearly new tires off CL for $100 for my car and that worked out great.

But in general I'm not scraping by and I will wear tires out, so it's worth my time and effort to buy new and be done. If I think the tire will age out first then I'll aim for a cheaper tire if need be.

If I lived next to junkyard and had a tire balancer I'd be more tempted. People act like any used tire is just waiting to explode and that new tires never ever have problems. We all have our differing levels of FUD I guess.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The tires on my Ford I got at a yard sale. Guy bought them new. Didn't like them and took them off 3 weeks later. I bought them the weekend after he took them off. They were still new.
He paid $900 for them. I paid $375 for them.

Now THIS is something I might go for!
That is a fantastic score!
I almost felt like doing this when I bought RT43s for "summer" use...they have none of the sporty qualities I was looking for and the winter capabilities don't mean much to me since I run snows.
They have been good all season tires for my wife and daughter, who don't drive during storms.
I do have to admit that they are pretty impressive in the rain on my vehicle, I have pushed them pretty hard in situations where I wasn't putting anybody else in danger to see how they would handle and they slip just a bit and never really break free as long as the water isn't really ponding on the road.

Yes but only for winter tires and installed on rims. I sell the winters/rims when near worn for winter to someone who does not know better on CL/FB.

The mounting costs/hassle would make me pause on risk of mounting them and finding they are junk. So easy to resell rims/tires.

Just an FYI:

As part of a lawsuit, the company I worked for bought 200 random used tires. Fully 1/3 of them should not have been sold - either too worn, too old, punctures, bad repairs, etc. Many of the people selling used tires do not care about your safety.

So if you are going to be buying used tires, know what you are getting. That means inspecting them for condition and damage.

I run used tires all the time.

The ones on my car now
smile.gif

I used to run takeoffs when I worked for ARCO in Chelmsford, MA in the 70's

Lost two of those in situations that should have killed me.

But I suppose you are not suppose to go over 100MPH for an extended period.

Ah, the reckless abandon of Youth!

My first car, a Taurus, would destroy tires. If I got 15K out of a 60K rated set, I was really doing something. I had it aligned numerous times , replaced parts in the suspension numerous times and it just would burn through them. Back before the economy crashed, I'd just go to the junkyard and grab a matching wheel with a decent tire and run that on the car until it was worn out. Back then, I could get a new tire mounted up for about $175 at a tire shop (buying online and mounting at Walmart wasn't a thing then), so it was cheaper to grab a $15 tire/wheel from the junkyard and run those.

I bought a used set of winter tires that were already mounted to wheels. The wheels were alloys that were actually nicer than my stock steel wheels, and the winter Michelins rode a lot better than the no-name summer tires that came with the car. I drove on them for one winter with no issues. Then the car got wrecked, I swapped my summer tires back on before the wrecker came to haul it away, and sold the winter wheels/tires to someone else.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
When I was young and poor and driving junk back in Pa. Here in the SW no way, unless it was a deal like Chris142 got on known basically new tires.

Anyone afraid to sell used tires?

I've sold several sets of used tires; never was afraid of anything. The tires I sold were still in good condition and perfectly safe. IF someone had a problem with them, they COULD (not "will," but "could") try to sue me (or at least threaten to sue, which is a bluff I would call every time). And IF they actually did try to sue me, that doesn't mean they'd win the lawsuit. (That's a LOT of "ifs," and the only time I'd have to worry is if ALL of those "ifs" actually happen) In fact they'd most likely lose. I sold the tires as-is with no warranty or promises made. The onus is on the buyer to make sure he's installing good tires. If you installed used tires that were bad, and you got into an accident because of it, do you think the excuse of "But, but, but, the guy on Craigslist said they'd be OK to use!" will actually work? Nope. Your fault, not the seller's.

That being said, I've also sold some wheels that still had tires mounted. The tires were bald junk, and I said so in my ads. That didn't stop one guy from trying to use the bad tire as a bargaining chip.
smirk2.gif
From then on, if the tire was junk, I'd drill a 1" diameter hole in the sidewall, and include a picture of the hole in the ad. That way nobody would think they could maybe still use the tire and/or try to negotiate a lower price because the tire was in worse shape than they thought. They knew up-front that the tire was completely unusable, and I was selling a WHEEL that just happened to still have the tire mounted.

I've bought lots of used winter tires. People buy a new car then buy winter tires and trade the car in the next year and have no use for them. I've gotten winter tires with less than 500 miles for $100 before.

I always buy new. Id rather at least keep my money keeping some rubber workers employed and have a warranty/road hazard . Also getting family discounts on new tires really helps.

Bought 3 tires on EBay last summer. They were from a used tire dealer. The tires were practically new and all of them had recent date codes. Turns out that one had a hole just outside the repairable area and the vendor was apologetic and sent another one right out. And credited me $15 toward the 2nd installation. Saved a ton of money. As others have said, every tire on your car is used. First time I've done it, but as long as the vendor is reputable, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about.

Originally Posted by supton
Not really, but I have bought used cars that came with .... used tires.

Haha ! That's an excellent point 'cause there are some folks who are just too good to ever use "used tires". Of course, the tires on every person's car here are used too. "But I know their history" or "I take care of them" and "I inspect them every single day" and so on.

Unless they were just put on, EVERYONE is driving on USED tires, and might even have a nail in the shoulder that hasn't poked through yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
Unless they were just put on, EVERYONE is driving on USED tires, and might even have a nail in the shoulder that hasn't poked through yet.

Further, everyone is walking around in used shoes.

I won't ever buy either product used.

Just reminded me to Cragslist the (two seasons used) Winterforce minus twos I have on steelies ( all from Tirerack) in the basement for my long gone Honda Fit. I keep forgetting. twenty-five bucks sound reasonable for the pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back