Any Vacuum experts? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DC18 Dyson vacuum, where motor overheats and it shuts down after a few mins(4-5mins).

It doesn't happen immediately, brush rolls and its sound changes like it's about to die and then it'll shut off.

Cleaned all the wand, pipes, lower brush area and all filters. If I remove the whole cyclone and filter body, then turn it on there's a lot of suction on the hole which goes into the cyclone. While running, wand has very minimum suction.

I feel like, there's some blocking, maybe in the lower ball area, is there a way I can validate it? Thank you for the advise and help.

You can take the lower ball area apart for better access.
Fish a coat hanger all the way up the articulating hose from the brush to the connection.
Also fish one all the way through the clear hose on the back of the unit.
A small plastic obstruction is nearly undetectable otherwise.
Also, Dyson customer support is pretty good. Contact them for a service location or additional troubleshooting suggestions.

If you have a torx bit, you can take apart the cyclone section to clean it out. I used to service a bunch of these, and they get nasty in the actual cyclone section (you can't see it from the outside.

My guess is the cyclones are clogged if you aren't getting much suction at the wand.

A bunch of videos on youtube as to how to take apart the cyclone section.

If it is a ball you must check the valve at the base of the handle that switches you from floor suction to wand. I have had debris both block the passage and also simply prevent the seal from diverting the suction to the wand.

As stated above, thorough cleaning is the key. Be cautious about jabbing into the passages as Dyson has very soft seals that can be easily damaged...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
If it is a ball you must check the valve at the base of the handle that switches you from floor suction to wand. I have had debris both block the passage and also simply prevent the seal from diverting the suction to the wand.

As stated above, thorough cleaning is the key. Be cautious about jabbing into the passages as Dyson has very soft seals that can be easily damaged...

I think that's exactly what it was, I have disassembled the bottom part and cleaned a lot of debris. Not sure if I'll be able to put it back together again?

Oh, i thought you would have a Sebo or a Miele.

Sound like there is a clog in the 'ball" area.

There must be some youtube videos on how to fix this plastic fantastic.

I'm into vacuums as an engineer, amazing how terrible 99% of them are in design AND construction.

I'm still using a wand and rubber brush head from a late 60's Eureka canister on my Italian ERMER since the new ones are junk.

Good luck and don't loose any parts!

I've had 3 Dysons, and many others. Shark is the best, no clog, sucking is good, easy to take apart to clean.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I've had 3 Dysons, and many others. Shark is the best, no clog, sucking is good, easy to take apart to clean.

Agree 100% ^^^

Was able to put it all back together and it was a clogging in the wand area, causing it to cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back