Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Blackstone should run another VOA analysis at no charge. Show them PQI America's test for comparison; the two don't match up at all.

This why I have been saying that if you are going to be using this oil, get a VOA before doing any UOA's in order to get a baseline, because formula's can change without notice.

Castrol has been messing around with their add-packs for a bit now.

They USED to use high Mg/low Ca add-pack; now they have reverted back to a Ca-only detegent add-pack.

With the excption of Ti; this add-pack looks a LOT like the early Pennzoil Ultra add-pack - remember when PU was advertised as a 15k oil, and it came with over 300ppm of Boron?

Go back and check very early PU add-packs, you will find they are the same as what's here, and they claimed the same 15k interval...I have no doubt they can both do it.

Originally Posted By: arsing116
So I had some Castrol Edge EP 5w30 gold bottle left over and decided to see how it compared to this voa.

Almost 1:1, IMO.

Take in mind that I made a misprint in a very first post. It should be 22 of titanium and 0 for potassum. I mentioned there a little bit later, but probably not everyone saw that.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: arsing116
So I had some Castrol Edge EP 5w30 gold bottle left over and decided to see how it compared to this voa.

Almost 1:1, IMO.

Take in mind that I made a misprint in a very first post. It should be 22 of titanium and 0 for potassum. I mentioned there a little bit later, but probably not everyone saw that.

I did see the correct.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I picked up some of this oil in 5w20 at the latest AZ Clearance. I'll use it in my Focus for probably 10K (15K seems too long for any oil, IMO). Some of the oil I bought has the original gold jug and label and some has the updated (newer) label....are the oils the same?....it doesn't mention 15K OCI's on the older labeled bottles.

Buster,

It has been completely re-formulated since then as can be seen by these new VOA's.

Now it has no Mg and high boron.

What lab has the fastest turn around time? I'd like to send off a sample of the latest Edge EP 5w30 oil for a VOA.

Originally Posted by buster
What lab has the fastest turn around time? I'd like to send off a sample of the latest Edge EP 5w30 oil for a VOA.

Prolly Blackstone. Please obtain KV 40, TAN, all that good stuff. VI calculation. Harmon Index. It's a thing.

smile.gif

BSLabs is pretty slow. I nearly always get same night results from Lab One. I drop samples off in person, though.

All these UOA's of Edge EP are completely meaningless now.

All oils have been re-formulated to 'TGDI' and Dexos 1 Level 2 specs.

They will have high Mg/low Ca detergent, and will have some Ti in them now.

Originally Posted by addyguy

In my observations, Ti is the least used of the 3 "common" EP additives... with Boron being 1st followed by Moly. Most use either boron or moly, or a combo of Boron and Moly (moron?...‚)... unless you're talking about a specific brand like Kendall or Castrol, which it's not uncommon to find all 3.

Phos and zinc are usually in the 700ppm and 800ppm range respectively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by addyguy

Not all have Ti. 3 that I know of and the Ti Castrol uses is in-house. It's different. It's been awhile since I've seen a baseline for EDGE EP which is why I was curious.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
BSLabs is pretty slow. I nearly always get same night results from Lab One. I drop samples off in person, though.

Tell me about it! I mailed a sample on 09-02-19 and haven't heard anything yet from BS......

Is this the new SN+ soon to be D1/G2 rated EDGE EP rated to 20K miles now ? Add pack looks a bit pedestrian ... In mixed driving I would run a 10K mile OCI .

Originally Posted by bulwnkl

I've only ever seen slow results at Blackstone when someone is using the free mailing. Like your results with Lab One, I have always received same-day results from Blackstone (I drop off tonight after business hours in the drop box, when I get home from work tomorrow the results are in my email waiting for me to digest). TestOil, while delivering a great report, has always been two business days after known delivery of the sample to their lab.

Therefore, I posit that any real delays in the majority of oil labs' processing is mainly due to your (or the lab's) choice of mail carrier. The determining factor for me is focus and relativity: Blackstone is a mainly passenger-vehicle driven customer base and therefore has oodles and oodles of data to paint a perspective picture for your vehicle and oil choices and their suitability; nearly all other oil labs present your data "in a vacuum" in that they only look at your sample vs. its virgin data, and do not trend based on vehicle, engine, etc etc... and therefore leave more of the interpretation to you.

I do agree that Blackstone could really corner the market by streamlining their process and reducing the additional cost of some of the tests; when Wix/NAPA can provide 90% of the same data for 33% of the cost, it makes one wonder why there is such a premium. In other words, if you can interpret your own UOA, there is little to dissuade you from using a $9-11 test from Wix/NAPA with TBN vs. a $38 test from Blackstone or the nearly $50 test from TestOil, with most other oil labs falling somewhere in between the Wix/NAPA and Blackstone costs and essentially the same sample data.

However, since Blackstone reports universal averages right with your results AND is very willing to share the anonymous data for your vehicle that goes into their database, obviously part of their costs are associated with a higher level of personalized attention. But IMHO, if you're not exceeding your OLM/OM recommended OCI by at least 50% (i.e. 15k OCI on a 10k OLM) you're almost assuredly just throwing money away. OP, remember that a VOA only serves as a reference point, and the UOA simply tells you if the oil was suitable for your OCI... UOAs are not designed to or capable of determining "what oil is best for my engine".

It appears to me that BSL's model is about making people feel good with a few lines of prose. That prose frequently is well off target, so in my view it has no technical merit.

I expect that if I were running the lab and my target market was consumers I'd also charge at least what they do, though, simply because the consumer market is a PITA as compared with the industrial market, and a huge pile of one-at-a-time samples onto which I have to have someone throw some stroking prose is simply more expensive than running the tests and sending the reports 10 or more at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back