2008 Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, long time viewer; first time poster. I recently purchased a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.6 Duramax. I was looking for some insight on oil and oil filter combinations for my new rig. I was fortunate to have purchased the truck from the original owner who was a factory certified and trained GM tech. He kept the truck in pristine condition and all the maintenance was performed on-time. The truck has 49,500 original miles and has had the dpf delete, aftermarket exhaust, egr delete, and EFI live programming. The original owner did oil changes every 3,000 miles with Delo 400 and an AC Delco oil filter. From my reading on this site and various other Duramax forums leads me to believe that the Duramax isn't particularly picky regarding oil. Thus far I am leaning towards sticking with conventional (Delo, Delvac, or Rotella) because I plan on changing the oil fairly frequently; say every 5k or so. I'm assuming that synthetic would be overkill? I have also been going back and forth about which filter to run (Baldwin, AC Delco, Mobil 1). Looking for some suggestions/recommendations on what has worked well for others, or what some of you would do if you were in my shoes. I have previously had two Cummins 5.9's and had good luck running Rotella T6, and a Baldwin filter. Appreciate the help.

Any of the oils and filters you've mentioned will work fine in your Duramax rig.
You could even expand the filters to include Donaldson, Wix and Fleetguard as well.
Others will have definite opinions though.
Wait for it...

I own a 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD Classic with the previous gen LBZ Duramax. We frequently tow our 10k pound TT during the warmer months here in Idaho and I've run 10w30 year round. Oil choices were either Delo or Schaeffer's which is the current fill. Use any of your choices with confidence!

With the proper ratings oil is oil from the major oil companies. The same with filters, go oem to feel better.

Don't change anything. Do further research and you'll find Duramax to be the most boring engine when it comes to oil. Nothing dramatic.

But if I had a Duramax, I wouldn't spend a penny extra for a premium oil. In my experience with all-Duramax fleets, I've seen approximately 1 out of every 15 split its crankshaft. Supposed to be an unintended side effect of it's firing order. There's some company out there that makes a lot that changes the firing order to prevent this from happening again, cost a lot of money and requires a lot of work.

One of my clients has owned only 11 Duramaxes, and 2 split their crankshafts.

Not saying that yours is going to. I'm just saying that an investment in high ticket oil will likely be a waste in either case.

Thanks for all the info thus far; How does Delo 400 SDE stack up against Delvac 1300? I'm assuming that the truck mostly had Delo 400 LE but isn't it being phased out in favor of the newer CK4 SDE? How does it fair in comparison to the 400 LE? I read that the additive pack changed a fair amount.

The lowest temps we encounter here in the willamette valley are typically in the low 20's or at worst on occasion the high teens.

I like Donaldson filters but it likely won't matter if you use Baldwin, fleetguard, or OEM.

I use Valvoline 15w40 CK in my Ford 6.7 and it is fine. Probably any decent 15w40 will work great in the Duramax. I think it's a non stressful decision on this engine, lot of uoa on lots of different oil show this engine does not care that much.

Originally Posted by Firemedic15
Thanks for all the info thus far; How does Delo 400 SDE stack up against Delvac 1300? I'm assuming that the truck mostly had Delo 400 LE but isn't it being phased out in favor of the newer CK4 SDE? How does it fair in comparison to the 400 LE? I read that the additive pack changed a fair amount.

I've used CJ4 and CK4 Delvac Super 1300 15W40 and Delo 400 LE CJ4 and Delo 400 SDE in my Detroit Series 60 motor, and judging from the UOAs that I had done, there really wasn't a noticeable difference between brands, even between CJ4 and CK4. This was running a 15,000 mile OCI.

In my opinion, both Delvac Super 1300 and Delo 400 are great oils, and I'd simply use whichever is cheapest.

In fact, I've been using Phillips 66 HDEOs for over a year, but the guy I run for has a shop and he has bulk 15W40 Delvac Super 1300 that he'll charge me under $10.00 per gallon for a PM. In fact, I recently asked him if he could also stock 10W30 for use during the harshest months of the winter, and he was very receptive to the idea of stocking both.

I'll very likely be switching back to Delvac 1300 if he does.

I think DNewton will ring in soon, he has a lot of data on Duramax oil analyses. It's not a challenging engine to lubricate. A good quality conventional 10w30 would work year-round. Spend a few extra dollars on a synthetic-media filter, such as a Fram Ultra and get finer filtration. Extend oil change intervals to at least 6000 miles. 3000 miles is SO 20 years ago!

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I think DNewton will ring in soon, he has a lot of data on Duramax oil analyses. It's not a challenging engine to lubricate. A good quality conventional 10w30 would work year-round. Spend a few extra dollars on a synthetic-media filter, such as a Fram Ultra and get finer filtration. Extend oil change intervals to at least 6000 miles. 3000 miles is SO 20 years ago!

That pretty much sums it up.

There is only one decision to make here ... is this about what you want, or what the engine needs?
The engine has shown absolutely no proclivity for any brand/grade/base-stoke whatsoever, since 2001 when it first came out. Ditto for filters. After studying nearly 600 UOAs on this engine series, in all iterations, the conclusion is that you probably care far more than the engine does. All the engine needs is a CJ-4 or CK-4 and a decent filter brand you like. You can spend more on higher-end products, but it won't mean a thing to the wear rates. Given your low mileage, that thing will rust away far sooner than stop running. Since it's been deleted, there's no reason to change oil more often than 10k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman

Does the Synthetic-Media Fram Ultra have a cardboard seal like the regular FRAM filters apparently still do?....

There is no "cardboard"; the TG has fiber end-caps while the Ultra has metal end-caps. They have different media, but essentially the same efficiency.

2018 L5P Duramax w/ 43k miles owner here. I have a few UOA posted on this site, go check them out. None of the oils I've used have performed any better/worse than the other, and that's switching between synthetic and conventional. I'm currently using Rotella T6 5w40 because I get better mileage and way more miles in between Regens using a bit thinner oil, at least that's what I'm gathering so far.

I'm also starting to extend my oci since dumping the oil at 7,500 miles has been a waste of money (verified by Blackstone labs). You can see from my UOA tbn has been in the 7-8 range even after 7.5k mi. I usually use either an acdelco or Mobil 1 oil filter since they are easy to find. Both seem to be working well.

Good luck op, let us know what you decide on and enjoy that beast!

Originally Posted by oakaro68
2018 L5P Duramax w/ 43k miles owner here. I have a few UOA posted on this site, go check them out. None of the oils I've used have performed any better/worse than the other, and that's switching between synthetic and conventional. I'm currently using Rotella T6 5w40 because I get better mileage and way more miles in between Regens using a bit thinner oil, at least that's what I'm gathering so far.

I'm also starting to extend my oci since dumping the oil at 7,500 miles has been a waste of money (verified by Blackstone labs). You can see from my UOA tbn has been in the 7-8 range even after 7.5k mi. I usually use either an acdelco or Mobil 1 oil filter since they are easy to find. Both seem to be working well.

How many hours are you going on an OCI? Are you following the OLM? I've put ~6,000 miles on my L5P and it's still showing about 20% oil life remaining after about 350 engine hours. It was showing 84% oil life when I bought it in December. GM has a bulletin on the 2019 L5P's for the OLM counting down too quickly, they recommend 7,500 miles, 300 engine hours or once per year.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
Originally Posted by oakaro68

How many hours are you going on an OCI? Are you following the OLM? I've put ~6,000 miles on my L5P and it's still showing about 20% oil life remaining after about 350 engine hours. It was showing 84% oil life when I bought it in December. GM has a bulletin on the 2019 L5P's for the OLM counting down too quickly, they recommend 7,500 miles, 300 engine hours or once per year.

I think around 7500 miles the olm is reading in the single digits. I'm not sure how many hours though, maybe I should start tracking that too

Again, I appreciate all the input. I think that I have decided to go with the Delo 400 SDE and an AC Delco filter at this point. I will have a UOA done and share the results when the time comes.

My work vehicle is a 2009 2500 Express van with the LMM Dmax. I average 6,000-10,000 miles a month with lots of idle time. I've tried several oils from the cheapest to the most expensive with UOA. The cheapest oils reports looked the same wear wise as the expensive oils. I change my oil every 10,000-12,000 miles, roughly 600-700hrs. It's fully deleted and runs clean as new. These days I just run a good M1 303A filter and cheap oil. Whatever's on sale. I've never had iron over 9ppm on a 10k oil change. Couldnt get much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back