2019 Mazda CX-5 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there;

Over the weekend we were checking on some cars and stumbled upon this one.

It really makes me wonder what the corporate was thinking on this one; frankly, if there is a demand for such vehicle, especially after all fuel efficiency technology that is in the place and readily available nowadays or simply after the diesel fiasco by VW

Nevertheless, it is pricey but it is looking sharp; Personally I see this to be taken off the market in 3 years, the most

So, what's the BITOG community take on Mazda's CX-5 Diesel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The diesel is a $5000 option, so I don't see many takers at that price. Maybe it has to do with greater towing capability.

I'm a semi truck mechanic. Only someone who's a fan of diesel will buy this vehicle. The vehicle is an engineering "we made it" exercise for Mazda.Mazda knows the take rate will be low and the engine discontinued sooner rather than later.

I really want one, but the emissions systems scares me. Modern turbo gas engines have the same nice flat torque curve that diesels have enjoyed, without the DPF or SCR garbage to choke them down.

With SUVs like the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid crushing it on fuel economy, on cheaper gasoline, and being a great ride, the CX-5 diesel is an answer to a question that should have been answered 6 - 7 years ago.

Too late to market imo.

I really love the idea of diesel,but my 2.0L TGDI engine produces 270hp/295lb-ft

so for 2.2L 168hp/290torque seems weak when considering the massive surcharge for the diesel engine
and vast complexity of the emissions systems.(can you say lots of regens in winter anyone)

also gas is somewhere between 0 and 75cents cheaper per gallon here.

If they had that engine in a subaru forester with a stick shift. for under $32000 I'd bite hard. (lol right?)

Emission hardware has killed the diesel market. I really think that gasoline is cheaper in the long run.

The diesel market for consumers is dead in the US. Mazda does sell it in other markets. But it's bad timing.

Also, SkyActiv X should be their focus.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Is this the engine that the guys in Europe and Down under have had for years?

Yes, and it gets very good reviews. Diesel may be a waste of time in the US, but it's still popular elsewhere. We can get a diesel in the CX-3, the CX-8 (not sold in the US?) is diesel only, and up until recently the Mazda 3 and 6 were also offered in diesel.

Originally Posted by miden851
Hi there;

Over the weekend we were checking on some cars and stumbled upon this one.

It really makes me wonder what the corporate was thinking on this one; frankly, if there is a demand for such vehicle, especially after all fuel efficiency technology that is in the place and readily available nowadays or simply after the diesel fiasco by VW

Nevertheless, it is pricey but it is looking sharp; Personally I see this to be taken off the market in 3 years, the most

So, what's the BITOG community take on Mazda's CX-5 Diesel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's slower by far than the GT-R or Signature, it's got less power, it has an extra turbo, it has less low-end torque, it requires DEF, it costs $5K more. It has no features the others don't. In real-world testing it got low 30's at 75mph highway testing by C&D, I believe.

In short, it's absolutely stupid.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Soon to be a unicorn...

Yup, 15 years from now in some diner someone will be reading an Autotrader, and looking at it and "Wow! Diesel? Typo, eh?"

The biggest issue is the fuel economy is not significantly better than the gas engine. As a $5K option with the differential in fuel prices and fuel economy numbers between the diesel and gas there is absolutely no hope of ever recovering that additional cost. There will be a few takers who want something unique but yeah....this is dead in the water. Strange move and waste of resources for a small company like Mazda.

Last edited:
I think if it has a $5000 rebate a good buy potentially in warmer climate. I have yet to be in a diesel that does a below 0F cold start and offers heat/comfort to the passengers in a reasonable time compared to a gasser.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I think if it has a $5000 rebate a good buy potentially in warmer climate. I have yet to be in a diesel that does a below 0F cold start and offers heat/comfort to the passengers in a reasonable time compared to a gasser.

So youd buy a regular CX5 GTR or Signature with a 75hp and a torque penalty for the same price as one without it, if it gave you 3 to 4mpg more but required more maintenance? May I ask why?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by madRiver

So youd buy a regular CX5 GTR or Signature with a 75hp and a torque penalty for the same price as one without it, if it gave you 3 to 4mpg more but required more maintenance? May I ask why?

I would drive it around like a normal person eg 1000-1500 RPM shifts and see how either did in traffic.

Been happy with wife's "weak" Tiguan with only 184 hp and 227 ft-lbs of torque. I realize it is because it has peak torque at 1600 RPM which you can tap daily in normal driving. Yes it is gutless at top end but rarely use that compared to the low end which obviously constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back