Anyone buy/run used tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here buy used tires to run, either from a used tire store or from a private seller?

I've had good success with used tires on my cars, got a set for my Cavalier years ago that lasted 4 years!

Looking to get two sets of used winter tires to outfit both my vehicles below, and keep costs down.

You guys?

I have, but I only buy them if less than 4 years old, no signs of tread rot, and seem to be in overall good shape.
I one time had a customer get rid of four practically new tires because of a nail. Patched that sucker and sold them on Craigslist.

Another lifetime ago while stationed at Ft Leonard Wood MO used re-caps and used tires. That was 55 years ago so it`s been that long. Have heard horror stories about used radials and good stories but not here ever again.

I've had decent luck with it so far. We have a used set of snow tires on the Leaseon and I'm running 3 "new" recaps and 1 "used" recap on my jeep.

I did once or twice on a beater. Good deals can be had if you know how to check for a good deal, and then the condition of what you're buying.

Not if I can avoid it.. I've bought a single used tire for a beater a few times..

with the not horrible offbrand such as radar or westlake coming in super cheap I'd give a hard pass to unknown used tires if buying a set.

I get used tires in an emergency, or one as a full size spare

Otherwise, you can get new tires for not too much more

Done it in the past to get me by... but i dont anymore. On my DD i wont cheap out. I had a very close call that made me realize its not worth my life. You can get lucky..but id rather not play that lottery. If you buy new and use them til tread is finished, its a much better deal...especially if you get a deal on them.

The tires on my Ford I got at a yard sale. Guy bought them new. Didn't like them and took them off 3 weeks later. I bought them the weekend after he took them off. They were still new.

He paid $900 for them. I paid $375 for them.

If you damage one of the 4 tires on a Subaru AWD you need to replace it with one with similar tread depth to the 3 that are left. I bought a used tire for that situation and it worked out fine. Alternative is to buy a new tire and pay extra to get it cut down to the needed tread depth. Or replace all 4 tires.

There are a couple of good used tire shops around here.
I have helped a few people whose money was tight.
It worked out well.

Yep more than several times. Upon inspecting them to make sure they're ok.

I have and it worked out really well. Inspect them before buying, it's pretty easy to see if they were run low on pressure or a vehicle with a bad alignment.

Considering it....I like the 4 year max age and no degradation.
thumbsup2.gif

There's also a guy with a brand new 4Runner that's getting larger tires put on....might have to take the "old", under 2000 mile tires off his hands....

For me, there's a time and place for used tires. Doesn't work out for me too often though.

For my Sonata, I'll run tires til they wear out. My biggest concern is a good ride quality and being quiet. Too much work finding that with used tires.
For my Jeep, it sees low miles and they'll dry rot off after 5 years (just replaced dry-rotted 5 year old tires on it). Have to buy new.
For my trailer, it has 235/75-15 car/truck tires on it. I thought about used but the ones I was looking at were too old. Then I realized I can just get decent Cheapies at Discount Tire for $55 each and replace every 5-6 years.

However, my coworker is trading in a 2009 BMW and had a bad tire, so we took it down to a corner Mexican tire shop and for $45 installed we got a halfway decent tire put on, good enough for a trade in.

Helped a Pakistani-ethnicity gentleman remove a set of 4 rims and tyres from a mid 2000s Honda Accord at the U-pull junkyard the other day.

The tyres were well worn, but I was shocked to see the date code on them being late 2017.

So a lot depends on condition. No reason to be afraid of 'used' simply because they're used, but "the devil is in the details". They were beneath my personal standards for winter use, but there was definitely some value in the tyre and rim combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back