Toyota 90915-YZZD1 Cut Open (Sludge?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came from my sister's old Sienna that was totaled. I forget what year it was, but it was an '04 or '05. The filter sat around for a year or two but was just cut open today. The center tube fell out without touching it. There was a lot of gunk on the base plate and some sludge on the bypass valve and inside the center tube, it seems. Either that or possibly moisture/coolant contamination? I didn't really see anything unusual between the pleats. I do not recall how many miles were on the filter, but I remember it was on the van when she bought it from the dealership. It seemed to be very well taken care of, so I'm surprised there was a lot of sludge in the filter. I don't believe it was a sludge prone year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You must be bored to cut open a 2yr old filter, from a car that is out to pasture ...‚

That said, that oil and filter look like they've seen better days.

The center tubes slide out on those. Looking inside from the thread end, no glue is seen. Beautiful design.

Doesn't look like sludge to me. In the past, had a couple of old filters lying around, and they looked like that one after sitting for a year or two… Even though they may have been totally clean when removed. I would think that moisture and contaminants from the atmosphere get into it over time.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Doesn't look like sludge to me. In the past, had a couple of old filters lying around, and they looked like that one after sitting for a year or two… Even though they may have been totally clean when removed. I would think that moisture and contaminants from the atmosphere get into it over time.

Moisture contamination was my other thought. Strange that my other filters that were also sitting around for a long time did not have this issue.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You must be bored to cut open a 2yr old filter, from a car that is out to pasture ...‚

That said, that oil and filter look like they've seen better days.

I'm bored too so that's why I cut open used oil filters. We all have our addictions
smile.gif

OP: thanks for great quality pics and c&p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back