'13 Camry, ATF replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by parshisa
car is being driven now, but annual mileage is still gonna be low - 3-5K tops I'd say

Do you plan to drive it more than that? It will go 150,000 miles on the factory fill. That's another 25 years before you have to worry about the ATF.

I bought a 2010 Camry with 39K miles earlier this year, and quickly replaced the transmission filter and consequently a drain and fill as part of that process. Now it's good for quite a while. So put me in the camp of, get rid of the break-in metals and keep it going with fresh ATF.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I bought a 2010 Camry with 39K miles earlier this year, and quickly replaced the transmission filter and consequently a drain and fill as part of that process. Now it's good for quite a while. So put me in the camp of, get rid of the break-in metals and keep it going with fresh ATF.

+1. Very wise. I did the same with my RX300. Afterward I knew where I stood.

...and it would have to go 3rd party. and the price tag is quite high

If it's more than $150, it's a rip-off or they're wanting to do a full flush. A drain-and-refill is all that's necessary. At a shop this should run under $150. Honda dealers were charging $89 but this was a few years ago. You're talking ~30 minutes in labor plus the cost of the fluid.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

If it's more than $150, it's a rip-off or they're wanting to do a full flush. A drain-and-refill is all that's necessary. At a shop this should run under $150. Honda dealers were charging $89 but this was a few years ago. You're talking ~30 minutes in labor plus the cost of the fluid.

A proper Honda drain and fill is 4 2-qt drops with 3 15 minute drives in between. That would be a heck of a deal for $89. Or $150. I suspect that is the cost of 1/4 of the job.

Most, if not all dealerships are in bed with 3rd additives and "services" vendor like BG, MOC, Granitize or Wynn's. They want to hook the car up to a machine or use the aftermarket fluid or add an "treatment" to the OEM service fluid.

A proper Honda drain and fill is 4 2-qt drops with 3 15 minute drives in between. That would be a heck of a deal for $89. Or $150. I suspect that is the cost of 1/4 of the job.

You only have to do the drain and fill once
smile.gif

The only time it would ever be necessary to do the 4-drain regimen is if was never changed after 200k, or if you put the wrong fluid in somehow

But for a normal service with the regular factory schedule, or even somewhat less often than that, a single drain and fill is sufficient.

No, a single drain and fill is just fine, even more so if you do it on a routine basis.

Originally Posted by Leo99
car is being driven now, but annual mileage is still gonna be low - 3-5K tops I'd say

Do you plan to drive it more than that? It will go 150,000 miles on the factory fill. That's another 25 years before you have to worry about the ATF.

^^^^This. With the current usage pattern, there will be other maintenance issues that will arise long before a trans service is needed. Tires that dry rot. Brakes that get sticky from caliper pin lube drying out. Sometimes low miles is as hard on a car as driving the wheels off. Save your money for the real problems that will surface. Unless you just like throwing money at it.

as you guys suggested, ATF is staying untouched. will get the brakes serviced/brake fluid and coolant flushed. thanks everyone for suggestions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back