2008 CRV A/C compressor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the A/C compressor on my CRV. Its having clutch and/or thermal switch issues. Compressor its self cools great and doesn't make any noise when its running. Question is if the system hasn't leaked out, and the compressor itself is fine is there any reason to replace the condenser and the receiver/drier (getting to the drier involves removing the condenser)? I ordered a Denso compressor but didn't order anything else because in my mind at least there is no reason to replace either if the system is clean and only open momentarily.

Depending where you buy it you'll only get warranty on your compressor if you change other parts too.

Last edited:
Mothers 07 CRV was having the same issues. Replaced the compressor. The expansion valve and the desiccant bag needed to be changed too.

Are you sure its not electrical? I have a 2005 Honda Accord with air conditioning "compressor doesn't want to engage issue" that I was able to diagnose as a bad relay. Ordered a replacement for a couple bucks, and as good as new.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Are you sure its not electrical? I have a 2005 Honda Accord with air conditioning "compressor doesn't want to engage issue" that I was able to diagnose as a bad relay. Ordered a replacement for a couple bucks, and as good as new.

Not on the CRV. The compressors are ticking time bombs.

I had similar issues with my 03 Accord. The problem was the compressor clutch was worn. After clutch replacement, it performs well. I ordered the replacement clutch from Amazon due to none of the mainstream parts stores having it available.

My daughter has a 2007 Honda CRV and has a similar issue. Gauges show full charge and fuse and relay are good but clutch won't engage. Saw a youtube about this issue and there is an overheat switch inside the compressor that goes open so no clutch. Guy in video showed how to check the switch by bypassing it. That is my plan on her next visit. I suspect that is what it is. Stupid idea to sell parts and labor if you ask me to put it inside the compressor.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
My daughter has a 2007 Honda CRV and has a similar issue. Gauges show full charge and fuse and relay are good but clutch won't engage. Saw a youtube about this issue and there is an overheat switch inside the compressor that goes open so no clutch. Guy in video showed how to check the switch by bypassing it. That is my plan on her next visit. I suspect that is what it is. Stupid idea to sell parts and labor if you ask me to put it inside the compressor.

Its actually a replaceable part that is external to the compressor.. Here's an example

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-38908-RNA-A01-Thermal-Protector/dp/B00MXFKZO6

I honestly never knew it existed until I started messing with this car. I think the thermal switch was the issue with mine initially, then I put in a china special coil that is bad giving me 2 problems.. I also replaced the relay just for fun. Honestly I'm just tired of waiting for parts and fooling with it hence the compressor replacement. Replacing the clutch with the lines attached was honestly harder than pulling the compressor and doing a vac/fill. I picked up a desiccant kit today and I guess I'll replace it. Just a pain to pull the condenser to replace on this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back