High Mileage Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I so so so miss these bulletproof Civics.

I think up until the most recent ones with the 1.5 turbos, most generations of the Civic are pretty bulletproof. My 2006 has given me almost 8 years of virtually trouble free service so far and still has a lot of life left in it. The one thing I really like about the R18 engine in my Civic is that they switched to a timing chain instead of a belt.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Some people seem to crash their car every 25,000 miles, my guess that is where they go

That, or rust gets them. Here in CA you see a lot of '90s and even '80s cars every day, but in other parts of the country they would literally fall apart.

My FIL got rid of an old '80s Toyota pickup at 500k miles because it wouldn't pass emissions anymore. That's another thing that gets old cars off the road here in CA, if your car still drives but won't pass emissions the state will pay you $1,000 to crush it which probably exceeds the value of the vehicle at that point and makes selling it impractical. We took advantage of this with my wife's old Cavalier that had 237,000 miles on it, transmission was failing, paint and interior we're both trash. Worth about $0, fixing it would be a losing proposition, but we got $1,000 just to get it off the road.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

1993 Civic

I saw a article awhile back about a million mile 2005 Crown Victoria. Original engine and transmission.

Ran it's whole life on 5w20 synthetic blend. OCI was every 7K-7500 miles.

The only vehicle in my family that I've seen wear out it's engine/drivetrain before the body/chassis was in a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder 5spd 4x4. It lived most of it's life in NJ and it's final 3-4 in the Buffalo NY area. ~260K miles on it until a valvetrain issue took out the engine. We've had some imports approach 200K miles until the bodies were too shot on them.

My grandparents have 359K on their 2003? Toyota Avalon. I usually just keep a car 2-3 years, something expensive AF fails, and I dump it around the 100-120k mile mark. My current car has a 150k bumper to bumper warranty though, so maybe I will get 5 years out of it.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Man people drive a lot.

I got my current truck with 168,000 miles on it in 2013, in 6 years I have put 28,000 miles on it.
I may hit 200,000 miles on it this year. At my current rate, it would be around 27 more years till the truck hit 300,000 miles.

My Scion has 48,000 miles in 6 years. So maybe in 7 years it will hit 100,000 miles.

I know none of my family has any vehicles over 200,000 miles on it (a few are in the 150,000 - 175,000 mile range).

Lol! Dude, why waste money on a car? I'd just walk that or call an Uber. I drive at least 600% as much as that, and I only work 3x a week.

I used to have a 1992 Toyota Celica. It had 290,000 miles, it was a standard, so my dad was driving it. He dumped the clutch because he loves driving fast. When he did that he took the transmission out. It was a well running car too, and for a little 4 cylinder,
57.gif
It had the power. Me and my dad are taking it to the junkyard and splitting the money 50/50.

My 05 Liberty has 204k on it, no rust whatsoever on the chassis or the doors. Looks new other than off road pinstriping. Had to rebuild the trans at 150k, but that's been the only major repair knock on wood. Looking to get something to take over winter duties for it to keep it clean.

07 LR3 is at 185k and has no rust or mechanical issues. Doesn't use a drop of oil between 6-7k OCIs.

Sometimes it is not a bad thing to get a car with high miles. I would recommend using high mileage additives every once in a while, if the engine hasn't been replaced. Sometimes getting a car with high mileage is good though because you say for example got a LeSabre with 502,683 miles on it. The original engine, and transmission gave out 20,000 miles ago, and they sell it to you for $1,000, and the body is in good shape. The engines in the LeSabres are known for reliability, so you are basically getting a new car for 1,000 dollars that was from the factory about 21,000 dollars. That is a deal to me. The mileage on a car is just an illusion. How it was taken care of, and how good of shape it in is very important.

my 99 outback has 294k on it. my son has been driving it for the last couple of years before we got him a new ride last week. clear coat on the hood it bad but no rust seeing its pnw car and we don't use salt. still runs well, but has couple of oil leaks i am too lazy to fix. trying to figure out what to do with it.

our 2002 BMW 330 i had 193k when we sold it a few months ago. everything worked and original engine and trans and good body. Sold it to a couple that don't know how to fix cars. i feel sorry for them.

a old car can nickel and dime one to death if they don't know how to fix them. both of the 2 cars above the parts are not expensive, but the labor is if taken to a mechanic

I think it really depends on location. Here in the salt belt, lots of cars with fairly low mileage that have rusted out. It's a shame and I think one of the big reasons why a lot of people here are car poor. They spend big bucks for a new car, then by the time they pay off the loan (sometimes before) the thing has already rusted out and needs to be replaced. A local mechanic was telling me how bad he has seen rust on only 5 year old cars and trucks, many of them well over $50k when new.

I have a high year/low miles vehicle, a 98 Silverado with 44k actual miles. It was my dad's truck and it only had 22k when I inherited it in 2010. Things are starting to fail on it just because of age, like rotting or rusting brake lines. I had to replace the tires not because they were bald but because two of them literally exploded from dry rot. One of the brake lines failed while I was towing a 4000 pound tractor.

I really didn't want to drop 28K on a new truck but I like to fish in Alabama and Florida and don't love the thought of truck failure + having to deal with a boat hundreds of miles away from home. Now it's just a farm truck, but the nicest looking farm truck you've ever seen.

I sort of wish I drove it more but at 15mpg that's not really a responsible choice.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by blupupher
Man people drive a lot.

I got my current truck with 168,000 miles on it in 2013, in 6 years I have put 28,000 miles on it.
I may hit 200,000 miles on it this year. At my current rate, it would be around 27 more years till the truck hit 300,000 miles.

My Scion has 48,000 miles in 6 years. So maybe in 7 years it will hit 100,000 miles.

I know none of my family has any vehicles over 200,000 miles on it (a few are in the 150,000 - 175,000 mile range).

Lol! Dude, why waste money on a car? I'd just walk that or call an Uber. I drive at least 600% as much as that, and I only work 3x a week.

My parents have 2000 Tundra 4wd full cab they acquired in 2008 with 100k for $9500. They only have 127k now. I would hardly call it waste hanging onto a paid for vehicle. They likely average $350/year on registration, oil change(s), inspection and occasional repair/maintenance.

I have done the 200-225k range then simply tire of my cars. They get sold privately no idea what happens to them. My current oldie is a 2007 MDX with 194k. The only planned repairs are to make it pass state inspection and oil changes.

I tire of my cars typically between 60-75K miles and 3-4 years...that's just me.

My 2009 F150 has almost 140K. It's clearly going to last much longer. However, 13mpg is getting old, when my 3.5 eco boost gets 17 and my 2.7 eco boost gets 19. Both of which are faster than the 5.4L V8.

Im not tired of it, and don't want to replace it, as it actually drives more pleasantly than the newer versions. From the V8 smoothness to the far better steering and throttle response.

However another 100k miles are 13.1 mpg is hard to justify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back