Who has gone Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Mobil 1 since 1994 and never used anything else. No reason to switch since Mobil 1 is a proven oil and many OEMs use it as their factory fill. If the OEMs use it, why switch?

I used Mobil 1 until the post-Katrina reformulation and the subsequent Engine Sequence IVA wear test failures. I'm sure that things are much improved, but the situation left me with some lingering doubts.

There are easily a half dozen great name brands and a half dozen great less known oils in just one pass down the aisle
However, many base stocks come from the big boys … and additives from another short list of companies … therefore much of the good, better, best is perceived these days, but it was not always that way

Originally Posted by 4WD
There are easily a half dozen great name brands and a half dozen great less known oils in just one pass down the aisle
However, many base stocks come from the big boys … and additives from another short list of companies … therefore much of the good, better, best is perceived these days, but it was not always that way

+1

Kind of what I've thought honestly. Plus current api specs and manufacturer specific specs have made oil formulas more similar. The biggest differences are type and grade, not so much the brand. Of course, when you realize that, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

I will use it if it is cheap (the M1 EP in the Scion was some $2/qt clearance oil).
I did recently buy 20 qts of M1 5w-30 HM using the Mobil rebates (~$0.75/qt after rebates).

I am not brand loyal when it comes to motor oil.
I am however price loyal.

Originally Posted by 4WD

+2

Been using M1 since the 90's in my Panthers,Impalas,Caprices Cadillacs and now in my Tahoe. If I am at the dealer for a recall [or for something else] will use their ACDelco Full Synthetic oil if I am due for a oil change at that time.. As I recall it is made by Mobil.

M1 5W30 D1 / G2 rated synthetic doesn't show any glamorous add pack but turns out decent OCI's out to about 6,500 to 7,500 miles and a really clean engine as a bonus !
Mobil is a powerful oil formulator - one of the first and still one of the best , probably has goodies in the oil that don't show up in a OCI or in product data sheets either . I still have two jugs of M1 5W30 in the oil stash which I use in between PP , PUP , QSUD , Castrol Magnatec and Castrol EDGE oil fills ... M1 is like the 'ol girl you go back to - solid , steady and dependable !

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I buy it because the rebates that are commonly offered make it as cheap, if not less expensive, than anything else comparable.

They make it easy for me to continue to purchase their products and know that I am getting a quality oil at an exceptionally good price.

Seconded. I've been using M1 HM in my Odyssey for the last 20,000 miles or so and I'm happy. I plan to use M1 AFE in my Civic when the time comes. Great prices, great oil.

Used M1 since the '70's. Now using M1EP. Over 250K on every car we've owned that used it, excepting those that we sold off as our family grew. The only engine issue we've has is an oil burning Subaru, but it was recalled for defective rings.

I used it in the early 2000's but haven't since. I now use whatever other than I have stayed with Motorcraft in the Mustang.

Originally Posted by Red91
The acdelco fluids we get in my area are Phillips products at this time.

I will dump it out at around 5K miles then go back to M1 EP. Any 0w20 Full Synthetic with Dexos [0w20 is what the 2016 Tahoe calls for] should be good for 5K miles. The 5.3 in the 2015 plus Tahoe's [even though it is Direct Injection] does not seem to be hard on oil.

I used to be SOPUS for my Sonata (QSUD, PP).
My GF Accent was a mix of what ever I had on hand not to expensive. Mostly SOPUS (QSGB, VWB, used Castrol Edge once, VML...)
Since the accent was switched to an elentra, the only oil I found on sale was Mobil1.
For my Subaru, Mobil1 AFE.

I have used M1 since 2004 on the advice of this site for help with my 97 Camry sludge engine. M1 solved my issues and cleaned the engine very well after 3 oil changes over 14 months.
That hot-running engine was running well when sold in 2017...! In 2004 they claimed to handle up to 400F, and I believe them.

I switched to M1 EP when it was introduced. I typically have 6 month OCI, but recently went 11 months without worries.

I have a 2000 Odyssey with 206K miles - using M1 since 2004. Valvetrain is spotless. No leaks or oil consumption.

I buy the 5 qt jugs on rollback/ rebate and use them slowly over time, sometimes over 1.5 years. Never occurred to me to shake them, and I pour them into a perfectly clear measuring cup to measure exact qty needed for each vehicle. M1 is always consistent to the last drop, with no evidence of additive fall-out. The container is always very clean inside - older members will remember Mr. Peterson's findings in big drums. Of course, I don't know about micron-level contamination...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back