Mechanic says it would be too much money. Is that a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would probably make more sense to put in a used good condition GM 350 like a Goodrich replacement out of a truck or abandoned hotrod project and swapping over the essentials from the old engine rather then trying to rebuild the current one. Even better would be if you could find an entire engine and outdrive combination from a wrecked boat, that combo are still used in some more modern vessels but finding a good condition setup from a totaled boat will likely prove challenging. What kind of clearance and room are you working with in this boat of yours?

Its a 24ft abermarle 24 express 1989 model. This boat new today is like $120,000 So even if I spend 15k on a new engine and rebuilt outdrive, I'm still way ahead of someone who bought a 21ft center console bat boat brand new in terms of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The marine 350 is a 4 bolt main, so you need one from a truck if getting a used one.

I have 1987 Cruiser Inc 24' with a 350 engine and Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive. There is nothing wrong with the boat but its old. The trailer might be worth more than the boat. The transom can have soft spots or rot around the cutout for the outdrive. The floor can also have soft spots or rot. Other parts like the stringers that hold the engine can be soft or rotten. Upholstery can be old and beat.

Dash can be beat, gauges unreadable due to sun damage over time.

I suggest putting your money into a yr 2000 or newer boat. Money better spent I believe.

When a mechanic tells you it'd be too much work/money, I'd listen to him because he's probably right.

A mechanic can instantly draw upon past experience when it comes to bigger, unrealistic, not practical, jobs. Those are the types of jobs that when you are "done" or "finished", you hand the boat/car over to the customer and something else breaks. Or when you're doing this massive job, other things break and the customer blames you, then bad mouths you and your business. Those are the worst customers to have...and those are the worst jobs to have.

It's not fun to get a motor in & out of a boat-you need an overhead hoist or big crane. I'm not even sure a standard wrecker could lift it high enough to get one out & back in. I seem to recall Volvo outdrives aren't cheap either (unl8ke aftermarket Mercruiser ones).

Originally Posted by Railrust
When a mechanic tells you it'd be too much work/money, I'd listen to him because he's probably right.

A mechanic can instantly draw upon past experience when it comes to bigger, unrealistic, not practical, jobs. Those are the types of jobs that when you are "done" or "finished", you hand the boat/car over to the customer and something else breaks. Or when you're doing this massive job, other things break and the customer blames you, then bad mouths you and your business. Those are the worst customers to have...and those are the worst jobs to have.

I think he was talking about a brand new outdrive of a different make.

I don't see replacing the long block unless it is worn out. It won't buy you anything.

Make sure the drive is seaworthy (even if that means R&R engine to work on it) and look at upgrades that would improve starting / running like electronic ignition and fuel injection.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Its a 24ft abermarle 24 express 1989 model. This boat new today is like $120,000 So even if I spend 15k on a new engine and rebuilt outdrive, I'm still way ahead of someone who bought a 21ft center console bat boat brand new in terms of money.
I want to repower my old boat by putting a new engine and outdrive in it with a newer updated one, but ...my mechanic...says that would be too much money/work I guess.

Well if a new one is $120k, and your mechanic thinks it's not worth sinking big money into the 30 year old version you have.

Maybe that tells you something...

Originally Posted by Imp4
I want to repower my old boat by putting a new engine and outdrive in it with a newer updated one, but ...my mechanic...says that would be too much money/work I guess.

Well if a new one is $120k, and your mechanic thinks it's not worth sinking big money into the 30 year old version you have.

YES because a brand new bravo 3 outdrive and global assembly is 15k alone.

You should dump the boat at a loss if you got to. I grew up a stones throw from Lake Erie and spent many hours on the lake. My dad has had different boats over the years. Despite that, the best times I've had on the water was on charter boats. Maintaining the boat, towing the stupid thing, launching it, getting it out of the water... takes away the fun and eats into the day. I'll pay the $80 a person for 5 hours on the water to be on someone else's boat.
Business idea for you?

YES because a brand new bravo 3 outdrive and global assembly is 15k alone.

Ok, so then you've answered your own question.
You still need to make the choice here.
What is your pick?

Originally Posted by Railrust

I think he was talking about a brand new outdrive of a different make.

Exactly, and a very big labor intensive job. When you spend that kind of money and invest that amount of time, customer expectations are that because of the money and time spent...their boat is now new. And it's not "new", it's an old boat.

If you're keeping it as an SBC I would choose an L31 crate over a Goodwrench 350. You want Vortec heads, they make a big difference even with a stock cam.

If you want reliability, ditch the carb and get a fuel injection set up. I think I would fix the outdrive and invest in a FI setup for the engine rather than replacing the engine. It shouldn't be too hard to find a marine FI setup for an SBC. You will never have carb tuning issues again. If you end up replacing the engine anyway, you will still be further ahead than if you kept the carb.

Originally Posted by Donald
The marine 350 is a 4 bolt main, so you need one from a truck if getting a used one.

I have 1987 Cruiser Inc 24' with a 350 engine and Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive. There is nothing wrong with the boat but its old. The trailer might be worth more than the boat. The transom can have soft spots or rot around the cutout for the outdrive. The floor can also have soft spots or rot. Other parts like the stringers that hold the engine can be soft or rotten. Upholstery can be old and beat.

I suggest putting your money into a yr 2000 or newer boat. Money better spent I believe.

This boat was under cover it's whole life and waxed every couple years. The hull alone is 7/8" thick.

Originally Posted by Donald

This boat was under cover it's whole life and waxed every couple years. The hull alone is 7/8" thick.

The hull is never an issue, it's the wood they used in the transom, stringers, floor and seats. Much is fiberglass covered. But water can still get in.

Boat builders have gotten better over the years with using treated wood or less wood. So less of a problem with newer boats.
Before you spend the money on new engine/outdrive maybe get it surveyed to look for any soft wood. If everything is good, then great, repower.

Rules of boating:
1. Never buy a boat.
2. Always invite your friends and neighbors onto your boat. That's what you bought it for.
3. Never ask for money for food, fuel, or drinks while hosting others on your boat. Have some class man...
4. Never complain about boating or upkeep costs. Boating is a luxury and people don't want to hear about how expensive your luxury is.
5. Never buy a boat.

Rules of boating:
1. Never buy a boat.
2. Always invite your friends and neighbors onto your boat. That's what you bought it for.
3. Never ask for money for food, fuel, or drinks while hosting others on your boat. Have some class man...
4. Never complain about boating or upkeep costs. Boating is a luxury and people don't want to hear about how expensive your luxury is.
5. Never buy a boat.

I'm not complaining, if you look at a boat in a business/investment aspect then you're in the wrong hobby. I just thought it was odd that the mechanic was like are you sure you want to spend all the money, bla bla bla. Most would do it no questions asked. I guess it's a good think. It means he probably doesn't really need your business either way. I think of it where it's going to cost me a certain amount every month. Right now it cost me $300/month Just for it to sit there and that's what makes me mad is when it just sits unused, cause then more stuff gets messed up.

Depends how impactful the loss of entire amount money sunk into boat would feel. If you feel it then mechanic right. If it would be aw shucks and move on then you can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back