How to cook a burger in the kitchen without stinkin up the whole house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mix 50% lean ground beef with 50% lean ground pork, add a bunch finely chopped onions, garlic, montreal steak spice, a bit of cayenne pepper and paprika. Mix it all together, shape into patties and fry it up. You'll want the smell to stay in your house forever. I cook these up year round on my BBQ. -30C in the winter, no problem, crank up the BBQ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cdlamb
If anyone has this problem you must be borderline vegan!

I eat meat daily, and love the smell of food cooking. The only thing that I used to dislike was the smell of boiling a soup bone to make stock for soup.

As a former Sask resident, I understand your point of view. The only way they know how to eat a meal is with a giant slab of meat.

Once I decreased my meat intake to one meal every few days, I felt much better (more energy, less sleep needed etc).

But yes, I too enjoy the smell of meat. Bone broth (soup stock) can be a little hard to handle, but with herbs added to the mix it nicely changes things (smell and taste).

I find the smell and taste of food noxious past meal time.

The only solution we found was an outside vented hood insert that was 900 CFM and cost us $700. Well worth the money. Now I can sautés scallops in wine reductions, make stir fry or even cook pulled pork overnight with crock pot under vent and not stink up my home.

Not sure what else you can do beside vent or cook outside.

Originally Posted by atikovi
the house has that fried grease smell for days.

You say that as if its a BAD thing... :)

I'll take a house that smells like burgers or bacon any day. No if you were cooking broccoli or cabbage... eww. My wife loves oven-roasted broccoli, and I have to admit it TASTES good myself, but while its cooking it smells like death.

Seriously, the only thing I know to do is exchange air to get rid of the smell. Connect the stove hood to an exterior vent, or buy a window fan and put it in a kitchen window (blowing outward) while you're cooking. I have one similar to the third (Lasko dual) one on this page that I use whenever I'm painting or sanding, and it works well. And very affordable, especially versions without a thermostat (not needed).
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Fans-Window-Fans/N-5yc1vZc4mm

Stove fan not vented to the outside? I have heard of this but never seen one. I'd say that would be a worthless fan. I'd fix that before anything else.
I cook my burgers outside on the grill.

Only do it once or twice a year, cook a burger in a frying pan on the stove, but yet again the whole kitchen and much of the house has that fried grease smell for days. There is a fan above the stove but it doesn't vent to the outside. What can you do to prevent this?

Cover it while cooking.
thankyou2.gif

Only do it once or twice a year, cook a burger in a frying pan on the stove, but yet again the whole kitchen and much of the house has that fried grease smell for days. There is a fan above the stove but it doesn't vent to the outside. What can you do to prevent this?

GrubHub next time.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Stove fan not vented to the outside? I have heard of this but never seen one. I'd say that would be a worthless fan. I'd fix that before anything else.

Such ventless fans are very common in rental apartments, and you can't easily "fix it" either because you're just a renter.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Blkstanger

Such ventless fans are very common in rental apartments, and you can't easily "fix it" either because you're just a renter.

Won't a Sawzall fix it even in a rental??

Originally Posted by Donald
Won't a Sawzall fix it even in a rental??

Not sure if serious or joking.

Maybe, if the fan is located on an exterior facing wall. In the places I've seen, that was not the case, so you would have to run vent piping across the whole kitchen.

It's a house and the stove is in middle of the 60's kitchen. The hood has a filter but they don't do anything anyway. Not worth it to vent to the outside for the few times I may need it.

It's a house and the stove is in middle of the 60's kitchen. The hood has a filter but they don't do anything anyway. Not worth it to vent to the outside for the few times I may need it.

No gas grill outside?

cook outside.

Grill-gas,electric,charcoal

burner,gas,electric, electric-induction etc.

Firepit.

Foreman grill..but ur real issue is ur fan not venting outside.

You dont cook other foods that smell?..ie onions etc?

Foreman grill near an open window.

Last edited:

It actually is worth it to do it right. You'll pull the smells out, but you'll also draw any atomized grease that's in the air through the filters and it won't end up coating the cabinets and walls. The charcoal filters cut down on the smells as well, even if it's not vented to the outside. Let me guess-you've never cleaned or replaced the hood filters, and don't even run it when you're cooking, right?

You just toss the filters in the dishwasher 3-4 times each year and replace them on occasion.

It sounds like you REALLY dont want it.

Go to a Copper Door chain they have decent aged sirloin burgers..
Bring a FAT wallet.

Like I said if you access to a porch or patio door

Lid the skillet - and just take it outside to flip teh burger and then to take the lid off at the end of cooking.

I would recommend a thin flat patty with some onion S&P and a pinch of nutmeg.

Last edited:
Once or twice a month I'm perfectly fine with a Whopper or Roy's bacon cheese combo for $5-7. Can't fathom spending over $12 at one of those "premium" burger joints for a burger, fries and drink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back