Pennzoil Platinum Euro or Castrol EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC

Looking to change up the oil service for my 2012 Mercedes CLS63 (5.5l twin turbo v8, 518hp). It currently has 100,000 miles and consumes about 5 quarts between 10k miles changes and I'm told this is normal. Previous oil changes have been at the dealership with I assume M1, though I've just read that MB may have switched to Pennzoil. I'll be doing them now with a 12v extractor through the dip stick tube.

Living in Chicago the car sees regular 0-30 degree fahrenheit starts in the winter. Summer temps are generally moderate.

I've been reading and reading...and reading the past few days and my head has indeed started to spin.

I think I've narrowed things down to either Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40 (Walmart) or Castrol Edge 0w-40 A3/B4 (Amazon). The spec MB is calling for is 229.5.

Any reason to choose one of the over the other? I'm thinking about cleaning, cold starts and consumption and of course protecting the engine.

Thanks so much!

MB oil is not Pennzoil, even tho some dealers do use it.
Have you tried MB OEM 5w40? You can buy it on amazon

Among those 2 - go with Castrol.
But give a try to Pennzoil 5w40, OEM 5w40 or M1 Formula M 5w40

Originally Posted by ACC
I'm thinking about cleaning, cold starts and consumption and of course protecting the engine.
IMO, you won't notice any difference between these two oils when it comes to the above aspects.

Originally Posted by ACC
I've been reading and reading...and reading the past few days and my head has indeed started to spin.

Welcome to the club!
lol.gif

Maybe a 5w40 would be better given the oil consumption?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ACC
It currently has 100,000 miles and consumes about 5 quarts between 10k miles changes and I'm told this is normal.

crazy2.gif

Wow! who said that's considered "normal"?

With consumption that high, why even bother with OCI's?
Your essentially changing the oil by each quart you add (at least replenishing the additive packages!)

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by ACC
It currently has 100,000 miles and consumes about 5 quarts between 10k miles changes and I'm told this is normal.

crazy2.gif

Wow! who said that's considered "normal"?

Probably a BMW enthusiast. JK
Doesn't sound normal at all, of course
I've seen owners of the same model here on bitog were posting their engines don't burn any oil

Last edited:
I was initially surprised by the consumption but MB says 1qt/1000 miles is normal and reading forums seem to suggest that my consumption is consistent with others, if not on the lower end. The car is very polite about it and asks for the oil one quart at a time as it gets thirsty.

Since the car will spend this winter outside with daily cold starts, I was thinking the 0w-40 would give better protection compared to 5w-40.

It was actually a Pennzoil rep that told me that MB recently switched over to their product line. Of course they though the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40 would be the best choice for me. Anyway it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturers rep was wrong or misleading. Also I didn't realized MB had their own oil. I just assumed they used M1.

Originally Posted by ACC
It was actually a Pennzoil rep that told me that MB recently switched over to their product line. Of course they though the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40 would be the best choice for me. Anyway it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturers rep was wrong or misleading. Also I didn't realized MB had their own oil. I just assumed they used M1.

Well it's a hot debate on who actually produces MB oil.
It might be relabeled M1 Formula M 5w40, or might be Pentosin. Anyways I agree 5w40 might work better, search through rmeuropean.com, they have some good prices for Motul, Total and Liqui Moly as well

Doesn't he need a low saps oil with that much burning?
I'm guessing all Euro oils are low saps.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Doesn't he need a low saps oil with that much burning?
I'm guessing all Euro oils are low saps.

229.5 spec oil is not low SAPS.

That's a breathtaking oil burner...

My 100,000 mile S600 (twin Turbo V-12, 500+ HP) uses ZERO quarts between changes...

At that consumption rate, brand matters little.

For me the initial very good base oils of Castrol 0W-40, are now "migrated" to production of 0W-30 and also of FE/508 (BMW/VAG) oils. Completly, migrated.

And because I dont drive cars which must lubricate with thickly water, and I shall never do it, Castrol 0W-40 is no more a option for me.

Last edited:
I change the oil in my 2004 Tundra with 157,000 miles on it, every 15,000 miles and the dipstick is at Full mark when I change it. I use Castrol Edge EP. I would go the full 20,000 oil change if I could trust an oil filter to keep up with the Edge EP.

Originally Posted by wdn
[...] and the dipstick is at Full mark when I change it [...]
Very best properties to blend fuel in oil?
laugh.gif

(Joke. Joke?)

I had less burn-off with Castrol 0w-40 in my M-B's with m112 and m272 v6's. I would do 4k miles on Mobil and 6k on Castrol per quart. Different engine but we are in the same climate and traffic patterns. A quart every 2k is not great, but it's not horrible.

Originally Posted by ACC

Specific dealers may choose to use pennzoil that meets MB specs.

FWIW my local MB dealer uses M1 products. 0w40 in 229.5 and 5w30 esp for 229.31, 229.51, and 229.52. I cannot speak to what is used for other MB specific specs.

Hmmmm...well it sounds like I should really be considering switching to 5w-40. I just though with a handful of 0 degree starts and 3 months of 0-30 degree starts that the 0w-40 would protect my engine better. Am I wrong? Would the thicker when cold 5w-40 serve me better overall? I'm not concerned with the cost of the top ups, just want this thing to last....and yes the AMG M157 engine is no cheap date. She likes to drink! God forbid there is ever an engine failure, because that won't be cheap either!

Originally Posted by ACC
I just though with a handful of 0 degree starts and 3 months of 0-30 degree starts that the 0w-40 would protect my engine better. Am I wrong? Would the thicker when cold 5w-40 serve me better overall?

You'd probably have to get into the deep specs of these oils to determine which one at 0 degF gives you better cold start protection. They both flow at 0 deg F. Because of that I'd pick the 5w-40 which is probably more sheer resistant and gives a stronger viscosity on cold startups. Yeah, if you were starting up a lot at -20 deg F or lower, I'd use the 0w. If your car is still under engine warranty, I'd use only what grade the mfg recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back