How Do You Listen to Music ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in car ,radio rarely CD's...home, usually I guess you call it a boom box that I bought at a yard sale years ago

Originally Posted by Warstud
Todays survey is "How Do You Listen to Music" ?

1) In my car it's mostly the radio sometimes the Cd player.

2) At home on the computer it's mostly YouTube or Slacker.

In my vehicle via XM or rarely, Pandora. At the gym, via Pandora.

Had two different iPods in the car, kept them tucked away where they were difficult to access so I didn't take them out very much. Neither one lived very long, I'd assume due to jostling and temp cycling...when the second one died, I realized that I had used a an old work email address I couldn't access anymore to set up iTunes. That was a big mistake, and Apple customer support told me too bad and that was it when I contacted them about my issue...guess I don't really blame them, but it was irritating nonetheless. I now stick to Sirius XM and CDs in the car, although I am thinking pretty hard about canceling my XM subscription.
At home I play CDs and watch videos on YouTube.
Don't listen to music at work anymore...

I definitely don't enjoy music like I used to, it was so important to me as a young man and now I find it hard to concentrate on it as I have so many other things on my mind. I did really enjoy a video of the Kruger Brothers playing "Watching The Clouds Roll By" a few days ago and there are a few old Social Distortion videos on YouTube that can still get me going...

My daughter just started using Apple Music and LOVES it....

When I was younger I was somewhat of an audiophile. McIntosh amps, pre-amps, tuners, Klipsch or Polk speakers, direct drive turntables with the best Shure cartridge made at the time. And a huge vinyl record collection. The sound was amazing.

However, because my ears are now 71 years old the quality of the equipment is wasted on me as my hearing has deteriorated. I now listen to digital music at home using quality earbuds or Sennheiser headphones on my laptop, and SiriusXM or Pandora in my car. I also listen to live bands at concerts and clubs regularly.

Originally Posted by jhs914
When I was younger I was somewhat of an audiophile. McIntosh amps, pre-amps, tuners, Klipsch or Polk speakers, direct drive turntables with the best Shure cartridge made at the time. And a huge vinyl record collection. The sound was amazing.

However, because my ears are now 71 years old the quality of the equipment is wasted on me as my hearing has deteriorated. I now listen to digital music at home using quality earbuds or Sennheiser headphones on my laptop, and SiriusXM or Pandora in my car. I also listen to live bands at concerts and clubs regularly.

That right there is the Gospel truth!

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
With both ears..is there another way?...‚

Beat me to it!

In the car I might get bored and flip through the FM stations. I spend about half my driving time in silence, the other half is split between NPR and flipping through stations.

At work I often will listen to youtube. I put on EDM so as to have a beat to listen to, but I try to avoid anything that has a video, or is music that is too interesting--it's meant to help me focus energy, not focus away from work. At home I will sometimes do the same. In the evening I might watch some youtube videos if I feel like relaxing and not reading; I rarely read and listen to music at the same time, but if I do it's some sort of "chill" music.

I do have a few albums I've bought over the years but in general I don't "invest" in music, not unless if it's on sale and for just a few bucks. There are very few artists that I feel a need to run out and buy; if I wait long enough I bet I can find anything I "have to have" on sale at a garage sale.

I wait until nobody else is home, then I put my Allman Bros/Grateful Dead/Widespread Panic CDs in, then blast them through the big old Cerwin-Vega speakers. My wife and kids are not not big fans... So it doesn't happen very often.

1) XM. Can't live without it.
2) My phone via bluetooth in a couple vehicles (work included).

I probably own 2,000 CDs and still buy 1 or 2 a year. Moved all the songs I like to digital last winter. It took months.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Originally Posted by jhs914

That right there is the Gospel truth!

Though my hearing starts to roll at 7Khz now, I can still hear phase problems, cone and box resonances, and other distortions from 40hz . 6Khz.

You can get used to compressed audio but it is not HiFi.

Mac has decent build and resale but I always found the sound lacking resolution compared to Electrocompaniet or Spectral or Berning or Levinson. For sure, I wouldn't bypass a Mac 225 if I saw it in a window for a good price!

I do check out youtube for some music fixes whilst I'm on the internet. Lots of vintage performances there. But in the morning, I have classical music 99.5 FM radio playing through my refurbished Boston acoustic compact bookshelf speakers powered by a SHARP digital(!) desktop receiver.

Last edited:
Google play subscription 100% of the time (comes with youtube red also.) I would love an audiophile set of music and sound system but I can't justify the cost nor can I stretch a proper system out in the townhome I live in.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
1) XM. Can't live without it.
2) My phone via bluetooth in a couple vehicles (work included).

I probably own 2,000 CDs and still buy 1 or 2 a year. Moved all the songs I like to digital last winter. It took months.

I had XM but dropped it earlier this year due to the royalty fee increase. I kinda miss not having Stern anymore...but Amazon on demand ain't bad and it's affordable for a family plan with my kids using it too.

Otherwise I don't have anything really bad to say about XM.. the reception can get sketchy in some places but that's the nature of the beast with satellite.

Otherwise I don't have anything really bad to say about XM.. the reception can get sketchy in some places but that's the nature of the beast with satellite.

Interesting, I don't have satellite (I have Spotify streaming) but I thought that was the selling point of satellite that it worked everywhere. Sometimes Spotify drops out in cell phone dead areas. I recently drove from Wisconsin to southern Texas and there were some pretty big holes in rural Arkansas and northern Texas.

Originally Posted by supton

I do have a few albums I've bought over the years but in general I don't "invest" in music, not unless if it's on sale and for just a few bucks. There are very few artists that I feel a need to run out and buy; if I wait long enough I bet I can find anything I "have to have" on sale at a garage sale.

Honestly with on demand I haven't bought anything in a while now. If I'm feeling like some blues, I just dial up a blues mix..if it's Zeppelin or some Black Flag, I do the same. On demand playlists are the bomb!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Interesting, I don't have satellite (I have Spotify streaming) but I thought that was the selling point of satellite that it worked everywhere. Sometimes Spotify drops out in cell phone dead areas. I recently drove from Wisconsin to southern Texas and there were some pretty big holes in rural Arkansas and northern Texas.

It is supposed to be the selling point and 99% of the time it's reliable... I'm just the type that complains about the 1%...‚...but read the FAQ for XM. I just know on really cloudy days my service would get choppy. But remember I live on the edge of a forest too...so maybe that has something to do with it. Dunno..

But all that said, that's not why I dropped it. It was their outrageous, IMO, addy fees. But I loved the wide selection of channels... it's hard to beat on that count.

Originally Posted by supton

Honestly with on demand I haven't bought anything in a while now. If I'm feeling like some blues, I just dial up a blues mix..if it's Zeppelin or some Black Flag, I do the same. On demand playlists are the bomb!ðŸ‘

Indeed although I don't have anything Apple, and I don't have a cell phone plan, so nothing works in the car unless if I've already ripped it to a thumbdrive.

I prefer silence at home, work or driving but on long drives it's Tune-In radio stations from all over the world streamed to the car. In places with spotty internet coverage, stream my music collection on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back