RAV4 Moose test - Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
+2 second penalty for the Mazda for taking out a cone
smile.gif

Originally Posted by javacontour
+2 second penalty for the Mazda for taking out a cone
smile.gif

The Rogue at 84 km/h would lose that game taking out a whole slew of 'em, lol!

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Most road obstacles are best dealt with the brakes, and not the wheel. This is one of the first lessons truckers are taught.

Hi there.

Most people are NOT driving tractor trailers to and from work.
Some people drive small cars, some drive small suv's, some drive large cars, others drive large suv's, other drive pickup trucks.

Slamming on the brakes and hitting the moose with a car will most likely lead to a dead car driver, as a very heavy animal crushes them.
Slamming on the brakes and hitting the moose with a tractor trailer most likely doesn't lead to a dead tractor trailer driver.

So, one should never drive a car like a tractor trailer, nor should one drive a tractor trailer like a car, other wise if someone tried to pull off the moose maneuver with the tractor trailer, you would have a flipped over truck, and destroyed cargo.

Hence why this test exists.

BC.

Notwithstanding this test, one has to be very circumspect in going off car reviews. If I did that I would never have purchased my current vehicle. A few of them mentioned the handling on the Yaris is poor. When I test drove it I thought to myself, man those guys are either dumb as a post or lazy parroting someone else's biased review. It's nimble, very composed in fast (relatively) corners, great throttle response and rock steady at 130 km/h in real world driving.

The Yaris achieved 76 km/h on this test with its skinny stock tires. Definitely not a world beater but better than perception.

The new RAV4 was built on the new TNGA platform Toyota is using to underpin the new Camry/Prius/Corolla and in bigger or more specialized forms, the new Lexus LC/LS.

I have a feeling the RAV4 was tuned for a softer ride and feel for American buyers and Toyota was too lazy to change it for the Europeans. Toyota had to tweak the Prius once or twice for Europe - the Touring package on the 2nd gen cars was the Euro-spec suspension. VSC calibration might be the easy way out but suspension tweaks for Euro-bound cars might be better.

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Notwithstanding this test, one has to be very circumspect in going off car reviews. If I did that I would never have purchased my current vehicle. A few of them mentioned the handling on the Yaris is poor. When I test drove it I thought to myself, man those guys are either dumb as a post or lazy parroting someone else's biased review. It's nimble, very composed in fast (relatively) corners, great throttle response and rock steady at 130 km/h in real world driving.

The Yaris achieved 76 km/h on this test with its skinny stock tires. Definitely not a world beater but better than perception.

I used to would agree with you, but when I look at the vehicles I've owned, every single one of them performs just as the conglomerate of reviews would have you believe it would. Sure, outlier reviews exist, but I mean the gestalt.

Originally Posted by nthach
The new RAV4 was built on the new TNGA platform Toyota is using to underpin the new Camry/Prius/Corolla and in bigger or more specialized forms, the new Lexus LC/LS.

I have a feeling the RAV4 was tuned for a softer ride and feel for American buyers and Toyota was too lazy to change it for the Europeans. Toyota had to tweak the Prius once or twice for Europe - the Touring package on the 2nd gen cars was the Euro-spec suspension. VSC calibration might be the easy way out but suspension tweaks for Euro-bound cars might be better.

From experience, generally speaking, Toyota isn't a good handling vehicle. Most, if not all European makes and all Japanese brands are better in that regard. Old KIAs and Hyundais were terrible too when they first started in Europe, but they improved massively. They are on pair with others today. Toyota not so much, that is probably why, in Europe, Toyota /Lexus didn't really become massively popular like they did in NA. There were some high performance cars from Toyota like Supra and Celica but they were more of an anomaly than standard.

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Most road obstacles are best dealt with the brakes, and not the wheel. This is one of the first lessons truckers are taught.

Hi there.

Most people are NOT driving tractor trailers to and from work.
Some people drive small cars, some drive small suv's, some drive large cars, others drive large suv's, other drive pickup trucks.

Slamming on the brakes and hitting the moose with a car will most likely lead to a dead car driver, as a very heavy animal crushes them.
Slamming on the brakes and hitting the moose with a tractor trailer most likely doesn't lead to a dead tractor trailer driver.

So, one should never drive a car like a tractor trailer, nor should one drive a tractor trailer like a car, other wise if someone tried to pull off the moose maneuver with the tractor trailer, you would have a flipped over truck, and destroyed cargo.

Hence why this test exists.

BC.

Hi there to you too.

When exactly did I ever tell anyone to intentionally slam into a moose?

I'm from the North, so I'm quite familiar with wildlife ending up on the road.

This test is not a bad test. But in reality it only covers the "moose standing still in the middle of the road" scenario. If the thing suddenly jumps out of the woods, swerving around it is going to get distinctly harder, since that thing is going to explode out of pretty much nowhere, and be moving. This is how most vehicle/animal collisions occur. Not sure vehicle Dynamics even figure into that situation. I don't care if every vehicle in the world were replaced with Miatas. If someone or something runs out into the road while a car is approaching at those speeds, they are almost guaranteed to get slammed. The long drives on rural roads in wildlife country are not exactly known for helping drivers maintain razor sharp awareness and reflexes. I'd bet anything that the impact would occur with wheels pointed straight ahead with barely any braking beforehand.

Throw cones out across the road at a non-professional driver who has no idea that is about to happen, and let's see how all of those vehicles fare at that Moose Test.

Where the "Moose In The Road" situation is concerned, high beams and brakes should get anyone paying attention out of that situation easily enough. People who swerve to avoid an animal have a nasty tendency of ending up well off the road. And if there's trees on both sides, take a guess.

It's a darn good test of vehicle Dynamics, however.

I brought up trucks to demonstrate the point that swerving that drastically at that speed usually does not end any better, whether car or otherwise. Not to literally say, "Just run it through!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back