Toro 22" what size engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the neighbors Toro 22" recycler. Whenever you add gas it gushes out the filter lol. I can't find a model number, serial number anything that tells me what size engine so I can order parts. Any know by pics?

20190918_1235281.jpg

20190918_123641.jpg

That appears to be a Tecumseh motor, if the gasket for the bowl is good, I would clean the fuel tank, fuel line, and the float needle. I the float is not full of gas it should be OK then. If the oil has gas in it then get fresh oil in there, 30 wt or some multigrade like 10W30 or 15w40

I always like Tecumseh motors, they have good power.

Rod

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a personal pace 6.5 hp model. The one I had was the same flathead engine you have there. If I remember correctly it's around 180-200cc. Only difference on mine was the back wheels were bigger. Everything else looks exactly the same.

That carb that anonobomber suggested would probably be the way to go. The original carb probably needs a needle and seat, and cleaning up, but for the price, I think I would just get the whole thing. Also need a new air filter.

Originally Posted by wha232
Lift the bagger flap. The model sticker may under it

It was!. First time I looked I didn't push years of grass away from under the flap! its a 20005. Thanks.

That is a 195cc flat head Tecumseh. A total dog of an engine. I throw those things right in the garbage anytime I come into owning one. A durable and long lasting engine for sure, but doesnt have the power I require, in current modern times, to mow MY lawn.

How large of a lawn are you cutting(acres)?
I have a Toro 22" with a Kohler XT675 in which I mowed a two acre lawn with slopes on for years with no problems, I can't recall seeing more HP in a standard push w/o getting into a HUGE UNIT.

Most new mowers are not rated in HP anymore IIRC. I see them rated in TORQUE these days.
The Honda 190cc may be the better unit but, IDK if Honda supplies these engines for anyone other than themselves. I think you're going to fine it difficult/cost effective to find a large HP engine designed for a walk behind. 190cc is the most powerful engine on commonly available mowers

Maybe consider a XT675 or a Honda GSV/GXV Series. ~190cc GXV gives 8 and 1/2 lbs/ft which is more than most walk behinds you usually run into. They make most of their engines with a vertical shaft option, take a look on their site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
That is a 195cc flat head Tecumseh. A total dog of an engine. I throw those things right in the garbage anytime I come into owning one. A durable and long lasting engine for sure, but doesnt have the power I require, in current modern times, to mow MY lawn.

Jeez how high is your grass?
lol.gif
I've never had an issue with that engine power-wise, even the 4.5hp version on a 20" Murray mulching mower would chop up anything in it's path.

The only mower I've used that I felt lacked power was a 3hp Briggs Classic on a 22" deck. The deck seemed to be a bit much for the engine in tall thick grass.

It's the neighbors old mower and he uses it like a weed whacker to take down the yearly crabgrass, poison ivy, vines and weeds at the entrace to the street. Its half our property half his. He's brave enough to do our side, mowing down the poison ivy with the chute shut. So it's the least I can do keep it going. The lawn mower is taking a beating that's for sure. I took the advice above and bought a kit that includes the carb, air filter, spark plug and the hose to the gas tank. All for $15. I don't know how anybody profits making parts that cheap. I would have paid $50 and it's still a deal Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back