2019 J.D. Power VDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this can't be accurate if a VW took first place in a particular category....
crazy.gif

Quite a few GM cars
shocked2.gif

[Linked Image]

I have had four VWs in the past ten years. One is a new 2019 Passat. The other one I own is a 2017 Golf All Track. Before that I had two VW diesels. None of these has ever been in for warranty work, all have performed flawlessly and all have had exceptional fit and finish. I have found the dealers in my area to be very good. Service is done well, in a timely manner and with the proper materials. I only wish the American made cars I owned over the years were as good as these.

Originally Posted by macarose
J.D. Power is the myth.

This is the reality.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Volkswagen.html

Problem with that, is that it has what seems like all models, all the way back to the 90's in it, and many companies have changed dramatically since the 90's.

Look at Mazda for example, it scores a "26", which is trash, but then you click on the model break-down, and exclude out of production models, and it would have scored in the top of the list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Boomer
I have had four VWs in the past ten years. One is a new 2019 Passat. The other one I own is a 2017 Golf All Track. Before that I had two VW diesels. None of these has ever been in for warranty work, all have performed flawlessly and all have had exceptional fit and finish. I have found the dealers in my area to be very good. Service is done well, in a timely manner and with the proper materials. I only wish the American made cars I owned over the years were as good as these.

Maybe they have improved. The fit and finish has always been good on VW's.

Originally Posted by Ws6
J.D. Power is the myth.

This is the reality.

Problem with that, is that it has what seems like all models, all the way back to the 90's in it, and many companies have changed dramatically since the 90's.

Look at Mazda for example, it scores a "26", which is trash, but then you click on the model break-down, and exclude out of production models, and it would have scored in the top of the list.

Good point.

J.D. Power is the myth.

This is the reality.

Not a myth but a reflection of different time frames. JD Power VDS looks at short-term reliability (3 yrs) of vehicles with original owners whereas your site looks at much older auction vehicles with varied number of owners and varied maintenance history and over 100k miles on the odometer.

One is not indicative of another. In other words your website is more of a lagging indicator of general reliability which for some people is irrelevant.

Last edited:
2004-2005 Toyota Tundra. Reliability score: 100. Exceptional. These are now 15 year old trucks.

Toyota does not win the Large Heavy Duty Pickup category, only because Toyota does not sell a large, heavy duty pickup truck.

Tiguan I had was impressive in off-road application. Although, I did not have it for long enough to assess its long-term reliability.

Originally Posted by wdn
2004-2005 Toyota Tundra. Reliability score: 100. Exceptional. These are now 15 year old trucks.

I wonder if the site looks at structural issues because IIRC Toyota just agreed to a big settlement over rust on a bunch of trucks from around 2010.

Why do some new vehicle owners constantly seek affirmation of their purchase decision? Is it due to buyer's remorse or something else?

Thanks buster. Everyone has their favorite review publication, I enjoy JDPower and trust it.

Dashboard Light, which is constantly inserted in these threads by a few other members, tests auctioned vehicles. Not for me but to each his/her own.

Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks buster. Everyone has their favorite review publication, I enjoy JDPower and trust it.

Dashboard Light, which is constantly inserted in these threads by a few other members, tests auctioned vehicles. Not for me but to each his/her own.

Funny thing is that site doesn't even test them. They only look at "powertrain issues" on auctioned vehicles. Then they make up some "Quality index" and spit it out. No mention of what the "powertrain issue" is or anything. The spammer that usually brings it up always forgets that piece.

For all the hate that Consumer Reports gets around here they seem to be one of the better ones as they list the various areas (powertrain, brakes, body, electronics, etc) so you can get a better idea of where problem areas lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back