How to cook a burger in the kitchen without stinkin up the whole house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only do it once or twice a year, cook a burger in a frying pan on the stove, but yet again the whole kitchen and much of the house has that fried grease smell for days. There is a fan above the stove but it doesn't vent to the outside. What can you do to prevent this?

Not much can be done, other than to open all your windows and ventilate the place. Powerful, ventilated range hoods are the common solution.

I just type a big and good message - -and it got deleted by the stupid google tab system!

SO Sorry.

try a shorty again ....

I have a great recipe but ill have keep it to myself.

Skillet burgers are gross; dead animal musculature exposed to high heat
frown.gif

I 'd just get one at a Cafe instead.

Keep a lid on the skillet and take it out to the porch/patio to lid-off and flip

LID ON

and do it again at lid-off at the end of cooking.

#1 Really hot cast iron pan
#2 Carefully take hot cast iron pan outside and drop the burger on it. Let the residual heat sear it for bout 2-3 minutes then flip.
#3 Bring pan back in house and stick it under the broiler for about 4 mins.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Uhh Oven in deep cooking pan 350F/~20min (give or take a few min depending on size/desired doneness).

Funny we want to keep carbon accumulation low in our engines, but then go make a carbon burger on the grill and happily ingest it.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Funny we want to keep carbon accumulation low in our engines, but then go make a carbon burger on the grill and happily ingest it.

Because denatured proteins are usually considered tasty.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Not much can be done, other than to open all your windows and ventilate the place. Powerful, ventilated range hoods are the common solution.

Yep .

That grease smell is a lot stronger smell if cheap hamburger is used. Fry a pan of hamburgers, and end up with a 1/4 pan full of grease. If it keeps going like it is now, grocery stores will be selling 50%. The lowest I have seen sold in the stores around here is 73%, and that's a big pan of grease.

Anything smelly, like frying onions and other stuff, I do it outside on the patio using a small portable gas burner. You can feed it either one of those little 1lb camping propane tanks or hook it up to the standard 20 lb tank.

I'll gladly do it even in the midst of winter when it's 20F outside, just to avoid cooking smells that linger for days.

If anyone has this problem you must be borderline vegan!

I eat meat daily, and love the smell of food cooking. The only thing that I used to dislike was the smell of boiling a soup bone to make stock for soup.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
If anyone has this problem you must be borderline vegan!

I eat meat daily, and love the smell of food cooking. The only thing that I used to dislike was the smell of boiling a soup bone to make stock for soup.

I love the smell of cooking WHILE it's cooking. I don't love it when I have to smell it in the entire house for days AFTER it's finished cooking, which is often the case when you fry something and don't have good exhaust to the outside.

I have 4 great vintage cast iron skillets. I love the smell of meat cooking. Noting better than walking in and smelling onions, garlic, browned beef, Pork, chicken or ???

Originally Posted by atikovi
Only do it once or twice a year, cook a burger in a frying pan on the stove, but yet again the whole kitchen and much of the house has that fried grease smell for days. There is a fan above the stove but it doesn't vent to the outside. What can you do to prevent this?

If you want to do it right, then vent the fan to the outside. It's not hard to do. Otherwise open a couple windows and turn the air handler fan on for a while or just toss it on the grill outside.

I always grill my meat outside on a tabletop propane grill, even in winter. I developed that habit during apartment living, because indoor cooking would always fill the apartment with smoke and set off the smoke alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back