Mixing Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some remaining in bottle of about 2L of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 (ACEA A3) and 2L of Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W40 (ACEA C3) oil. Can I mix them together for the next oil change? The current oil in in my motor is Motul one.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

I was able to find the video I was referring to.

Will Mixing 10 Motor Oils Damage Your Engine?

Thanks for posting. I enjoy PF videos without taking most of them to seriously, but in this case, he actually used a vehicle and submitted for a UOA to the most widely used company by bitogers. The results are clear...No issue mixing, even that cacophony of oils. I'd only be concerned (ever so mildly) if it was being done in extreme cold climates. But that concern might also be waning since the advent of SN Plus which has resulted in additive uniformity across brands.

Originally Posted by Rav4H2019
Thanks for the video. Quite good.

The video while interesting does nothing to be honest. It does not actually prove anything of substance. What does have substance however, is successfully passing ASTM D6922, which an API listed oil must do to prove that oils are miscible and will not cause damage in an engine when mixed. Understand though that the resulting mixture may not meet any approval or specification, SN+ or otherwise.

Why people think that some dude on YouTube has to invent some goofy "test" to prove something is beyond me. Do people think there is no standardized and specific test already in existence and instead has to be pulled out of the air?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Thanks for the video. Quite good.

The video while interesting does nothing to be honest. It does not actually prove anything of substance. What does have substance however, is successfully passing ASTM D6922, which an API listed oil must do to prove that oils are miscible and will not cause damage in an engine when mixed. Understand though that the resulting mixture may not meet any approval or specification, SN+ or otherwise.

Why people think that some dude on YouTube has to invent some goofy "test" to prove something is beyond me. Do people think there is no standardized and specific test already in existence and instead has to be pulled out of the air?

Why do you have to quote my one line for posting your views. Am I wrong to enjoy a video on YouTube ? Do you not have the confidence to post your opinions stand alone ?

I really don't understand your questions. Yes, I think I have the confidence to post my own opinions and they do stand alone, did my response not show that? The first paragraph was not opinion, it was fact. The second one was opinion, that's true. The reason I said that is because videos like PF are often viewed by some individuals as some type of proof when there are actual tests that do prove things, not some video that is produced primarily to generate income for the host.

I guess I do have a particular issue with people that think they know something but don't, I'll give you that.

I really don't understand your questions. Yes, I think I have the confidence to post my own opinions and they do stand alone, did my response not show that? The first paragraph was not opinion, it was fact. The second one was opinion, that's true. The reason I said that is because videos like PF are often viewed by some individuals as some type of proof when there are actual tests that do prove things, not some video that is produced primarily to generate income for the host.

I guess I do have a particular issue with people that think they know something but don't, I'll give you that.
Too bad the administration did not take action against you as requested by mr. Luke.

Wow, what on earth are you talking about?

Where did you see that an engine "fared better" on a cocktail of oils? That's not possible via a UOA.

On a youtube video on my TV.

Yeah, hmm.

Making stuff up just to create a post on Bitog isn't nice.

I didn't make anything up and your comment was uncalled for.
I reported your reply and hopefully it will be deleted.
I don't appreciate being called a liar and will stop with that, pending action taken by an admin.

Does this refresh your memory

Yes it does, I had no idea you were still harboring a grudge from some other thread. Why does a conversation with that other individual mean so much to you?

I asked for technical evidence that a cocktail of oils produced a better result, there was no UOA. I don't believe it, that's true. Even a link to the video would have been better. Where is the proof that a cocktail is better?

This is a board that is supposedly mostly technical information, not unnamed YouTube videos.

Yes it does, I had no idea you were still harboring a grudge from some other thread. Why does a conversation with that other individual mean so much to you?

I asked for technical evidence that a cocktail of oils produced a better result, there was no UOA. I don't believe it, that's true. Even a link to the video would have been better. Where is the proof that a cocktail is better?

This is a board that is supposedly mostly technical information, not unnamed YouTube videos.

Kschachn: mixing oils is not ideal. I have done it on a beater car but I used one brand instead of multiple oils. Thank You for your info and facts
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back