Replace tires before selling car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
You're never going to get back the money you put into the tires.

+1

Also new tires on a car that you are selling can make potential buyers believe you are hiding an alignment or tire wear problem. If I'm looking at a car and the tires were replaced a few months or a year prior, no issue. If they were replaced last week, red flags start popping up.

This is true.
Well worn (or almost done :) but with regular wear pattern tires are better selling point than brand new ones.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Tires would be middle of the road, about $300 installed Nokian Entyres fwiw.

Instead of you spending $300 on new tires, I'd give the buyer a $150 discount off the car's selling price in consideration of it needing new tires, and let the buyer get their own tires according to their budget and preference.

I suspect the average car buyer isn't a bitog'er. They'd rather see new tires and "know" they won't have problems for a long time to come. Us, we'd rather it come with tires that prove that alignment isn't needed, and are worn out, so we can justify buying the tires we wanted in the first place. If it came with new tires or was pressure washed under the hood, we'd see it as a detriment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back