Fram Ultra worth it over OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
Considering how many failed Frams we have seen here I would say: avoid at all costs.

X2

Show me a failed Fram XG cartridge filter. Or even an Extra Guard, for that matter.

I've torn one from my Jeep apart and was shocked at how strong it was and how much force was required with pliers and leverage to separate the pleats from the frame and ends.

They've performed well for me. Good filtration and excellent construction and materials.

I'd spring for the Fram every time.

Last edited:
Considering how many failed Frams we have seen here I would say: avoid at all costs.

Such misinformation!

I haven't seen any difference running the Fram vs OEM. The Fram filter itself looks more robust but that is in no way scientific. I have a Hengst on our VW now, but have an Ultra ready for for the next change.

Are you reading posts that I haven't or something?

There have been a few failed Ultra cartridges posted here, most of them on BMW's.

If you're changing the filter every change, then IMO no point in using an Ultra for the extra cost.

I had debated an Ultra on my Hyundai with a top mounted cartridge. At the time, Fram did not have an Ultra for it, so I stuck with OEM.
I plan on sticking with OEM regardless now that I have seen the construction of them, and no point in buying an Ultra for a 5,000 mile interval (I just can't make myself leave an old filter on when I drain the oil).

Originally Posted by Reddy45

Such misinformation!

Really. I've been using Fram oil and air filters for over 50 years. I have never had one fail....... Ever.

Please share, I'd love to know how many failed. Especially since I use Fram filters in everything I own.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Please share, I'd love to know how many failed. Especially since I use Fram filters in everything I own.

He's specifically talking about cartridge Ultra filters and how the end caps have been found separated from the media.

I wouldn't trust them either and no they are not worth it over OEM.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

He's specifically talking about cartridge Ultra filters and how the end caps have been found separated from the media.

I guess I'm lucky. When I start seeing them fail like Purolator filters were I'll certainly be making a change. Point taken and well noted.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

I guess I'm lucky. When I start seeing them fail like Purolator filters were I'll certainly be making a change. Point taken and well noted.

It may be not only cartridge specific, but p/n specific as well. The Ultra cartridge for her Volvo is $27 at Walmart (Mann and Mahle is around $4.50) so I won't be trying them anytime soon for both reasons. Lol.

To me, a failure is a failure. Both (Puro and Fram) arguably allow unfiltered oil to be bypassed and both take a hit on the filter's structure.

Fram Ultra is at least just as worth it.
I have heard of a lot of Fram's failing, but it must be old news, because I haven't seen such significant evidence in at least the past 3 years.

Who makes the OEM and why would they be made better? (also, why would they be made worse?)
How well is the OEM supposed to be made/ what operational time-in-use is the OEM designed for?
How well is the Fram Ultra supposed to be made/ what operational time-in-use is the Fram Ultra designed for?
Food for thought.

Last edited:
Too many aftermarket cartridge filters are poorly designed or poorly manufactured. They are often too long and will buckle in service.

Stick to Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Purflux.

And even if the Ultra was OK to use, it's not worth it for 7-8k. Those filters are best used for a very long OCI like well over 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back