Simultaneous calls and data use on Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Verizon now lets you use data while on calls when you're on LTE. What about when you're on 3G, or 4G non-LTE?

Let's assume a brand new device, e.g. iPhone 11.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The Verizon feature that allows simultaneous voice and data is called HD Voice or Advanced Calling. Based on the info in the link below, they state that you "Must be in a Verizon 4G LTE coverage area."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206984/

^ Saw that.

The phone reps sung me a different tune. They said that for new-ish devices, their unlimited data plans allow simultaneous data and call use on any data connection, whereas other device/plan combos require LTE.

I even told one of them about that page on their site, which contradicted what she was saying, and asked if there was anything online with the info she was giving me. Or at least a PDF she could email me or something. She said no.

21.gif

I think all the Verizon towers transmit 4G now (also, there's no such thing as "non LTE 4G", they are the same thing). The only time a new phone might fall back to 3G is in a weak signal area. I have found that data seldom works at all in that situation, because the signal is weak and they don't care much for 3G users.

The 3G CDMA standard does not support circuit-switched phone calls, only IP traffic. The "HD Voice" feature converts phone calls to IP, so they could potentially go via 3G simultaneously with data, but see above about 3G data being unlikely to work in the first place. Making a non-HD call when LTE is not available will use 1X (aka 2G). That standard was optimized to carry phone calls on weak signals, so it works pretty well. But you won't have data at the same time.

Originally Posted by mk378
I think all the Verizon towers transmit 4G now (also, there's no such thing as "non LTE 4G", they are the same thing). The only time a new phone might fall back to 3G is in a weak signal area. I have found that data seldom works at all in that situation, because the signal is weak and they don't care much for 3G users.

That's interesting. To make sure I understand, are you saying the data connection with Verizon will almost always be either LTE or nothing?

The 3G CDMA standard does not support circuit-switched phone calls, only IP traffic. The "HD Voice" feature converts phone calls to IP, so they could potentially go via 3G simultaneously with data, but see above about 3G data being unlikely to work in the first place.

For what it's worth, Verizon told me they're basically all GSM now and their last CDMA networks will be "obsolete" by the end of the year. Does this change the calculus at all?

Making a non-HD call when LTE is not available will use 1X (aka 2G). That standard was optimized to carry phone calls on weak signals, so it works pretty well. But you won't have data at the same time.

Is this true of any network, or just Verizon/CDMA?

Verizon CDMA 3G is allegedly going away at the end of the year, then it's going to be 4G/LTE, 5G, or nothing. That's why I retired my old CDMA iPhone 4, and replaced it with an SE. I hadn't heard that Verizon allowed simultaneous phone & data, that must be fairly new.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I hadn't heard that Verizon allowed simultaneous phone & data, that must be fairly new.

It's been available on Verizon since at least 2014, but some iPhone hardware did not support it until some time later.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Verizon CDMA 3G is allegedly going away at the end of the year, then it's going to be 4G/LTE, 5G, or nothing.

Ah, so all of Verizon's GSM stuff is LTE and up?

LTE is from the same standards group that developed GSM, but LTE should be called LTE.

A phone with Verizon SIM may switch over to GSM 2G / 3G outside the US but they do not roam to the US GSM carriers.

LTE is from the same standards group that developed GSM, but LTE should be called LTE.

A phone with Verizon SIM may switch over to GSM 2G / 3G outside the US but they do not roam to the US GSM carriers.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification, and for all of your feedback.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back