Who has gone Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question is, who has gone "Mobile 1" ?
laugh.gif

I use Mobil 1 original from time to time. I'll buy it when it's on sale or there are some good promotions going on. I'll buy it over Pennzoil Platinum anytime. I like the 11.0 viscosity of the 5W30.

Mobil 1 vanilla 5W30 is horribly boring at turning out clean engines and good UOA's out to 7,500 miles in well maintained engines . I recently bought some Castrol Magnatec 5W30 to try and in the end I instead will use it in my wife's Sedona PFI grocery getter while my Sonota GDI engine will get the Mobil 1 5W30 for a 5K mile OCI at which time I will have a clean engine and good wear protection . If Mobil 1 is good enough to be chosen as the motor oil for Corvette then it's good enough to run in my 2.4L GDI engine .
M1 , PP , PUP & QSUD are my mainstays ... I keep the door open for Castrol synthetics but still not sure about EDGE vs. Magnatec ? I have a current fill of Valvoline Advanced and while it appears decent - it never goes on sale , so my other choices are cheaper .

Originally Posted by JoelB
These threads always bring out those who believe it's a fact that Mobil 1 creates more iron and noise. Lets make a Pennzoil one so we can talk about how it contains wax!

It's called statistics. If you'll ignore facts maybe it'll go away by itself (it won't)

Napa runs Valvoline synthetic on sale several times a year. I mean specifically Valvoline branded synthetic, not Napa synthetic. They tend to rotate Castrol and Mobil 1 month to month, and do a Valvoline sale when Mobil 1 is on sale.

Hmm .. not many statistics on BITOG ... not the kind real engineering teams would keep .., QAQC and all

Maybe one guy I can think of ...

Many years ago there few thing what made me a fan of Mobil 1 .

There this mechanic that did a test on both cars . Using regular Mobil 1 ( way before hm or EP or any Mobil 1 version . Just plain vanilla Mobil 1 ) and other oil . He run both cars then shut off and let alone for 2 years . He tear down both engine and found Mobil 1 oil still coat all the top engine part really well . Where other engine top of engine is bone dry .

2: if you advertise your car using Mobil 1 oil , you boost your chance of selling the cars faster lol. That show you how normal peoples think of Mobil 1 .

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by JoelB
These threads always bring out those who believe it's a fact that Mobil 1 creates more iron and noise. Lets make a Pennzoil one so we can talk about how it contains wax!

It's called statistics. If you'll ignore facts maybe it'll go away by itself (it won't)

Present your facts and statistics, I have no issue being proved wrong id there is real conclusive data. Even though in this case there isn't of course.

Been using it as my main oil in my dailies for 10K intervals for several years now. I have stepped up from the FoMoCo recommended 5W20 in my last couple of cars to 5W30, but that's about it. I generally just use the plain Mobil 1.

I'll occasionally use another brand of synthetic if I run across it on sale and it's significantly less than Mobil 1, but I consider Mobil 1 my default oil.

Old flat tappet stuff gets high zinc conventional-usually VR-1, but sometimes other brands.

I use Mobil 1 because of the super low cost after rebate, also because it is a trusted brand, also because it works great in my vehicles.
Always used it in the Corvette. Switched the Tacoma to Mobil 1 at 120,000 miles and extended the interval from 5k to 7.5k.

Originally Posted by Red91
I've never noticed one particular oil to be noisy versus another. I think that's a symptom of ocd, not of oil quality. I have however noticed that some engines are noisy, and there's nothing you can do to quiet them down besides shutting them off.

Agree with this and ran it for decades … members here can "parrot" often and led me to actually dB tests
It's not all I run, but use it often …
For gear oil, I find Delvac 1 to be stout and can buy it for less …

You would have to have Helen Keller not to notice the difference between oil made by Smitty's Supply Super S oil and the Federated Auto synthetic blend... The Super S was loud from the get... In fact when I started the Camry right after changing the oil the car was noticeably loud like it had been for a half second then... A whole, whole lot quieter. It was very obvious. Like I said you would have to have been deaf like Helen Keller not to notice the difference.

Last edited:
I've used it many times (mostly during their rebate runs) otherwise I'm not brand specific (right now I'm taking advantage of Rottela Gas Truck rebates, prior to that Pennzoil Platinum).

Unfortunately the last time I was using Mobil 1 my engine started consuming oil, it probably had nothing to do with the oil...engine had over 100,000 miles...still I wasn't expecting that, as I was using Mobil 1 for quite some time at that point. But I'd still buy Mobil 1, I don't blame them.

I have probably used more M1 5W30 than any other oil in my FXT, but it has PP 5W30 in it right now. I do have M1 0W30 AFE ready to go for its next change.
Think I have M1 0W20 AFE in my daughter's Impreza right now, but I have also run PP in that car.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but wasn't there almost a universal dislike of Mobil 1 some years ago in these forums?
Anyway, I've used it on and off over the years and I think it's a good oil. Probably there are better oils but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major synthetics.
I exclusively use Mobil 1 EP 0w20 in my wife's Honda mainly because it is on the thicker side and has a decent amount of PAO.
Mobil 1 0w40 in my GTI is definitely a bit noisier at idle than Castrol 0w40. Does that matter? probably not.

Originally Posted by harrydog
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but wasn't there almost a universal dislike of Mobil 1 some years ago in these forums?
Anyway, I've used it on and off over the years and I think it's a good oil. Probably there are better oils but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major synthetics.
I exclusively use Mobil 1 EP 0w20 in my wife's Honda mainly because it is on the thicker side and has a decent amount of PAO.
Mobil 1 0w40 in my GTI is definitely a bit noisier at idle than Castrol 0w40. Does that matter? probably not.

There has certainly been plenty of M1 bashing here...there have also been users who are very high on it the whole time I have been a BITOGer.
When I started learning about the LSPI issue in DIT engines not long after buying one, I also learned that M1 5W30 was probably the only US mass market oil in that grade to feature a low calcium/sodium formula that helped prevent LSPI. I felt pretty good about deciding to use M1 5W30 after my car was recalled for LSPI.
Now, most any d1G2 oil will have a similar chemistry, but I still buy a lot of M1 5W30 due to attractive rebates...I do not use M1 exclusively, though.

My parents have a 2004 Silverado 4.8L that has only run Mobil1 5w30 since new. No leaks, no unusual noises, and it does not burn or use any oil between services. If I ever bought a new car and wanted to use only one oil for the life of the vehicle, I would use Mobil1.

However, I have only owned and driven worn out POS cars that use/burn oil. I can fix leaks, but it is almost never worth a tear down & rebuild to fix worn piston rings. Mobil1 classic tends to exacerbate oil burning.

I've used it in various flavors in different cars since the middle 80's when I had my SAAB 900S. I admit to trying other brands at different times, but consider all of the oils I've used to be quite good (M1, GC, PU, PP, Edge). I've tried to stick with LL-01 for the BMW, but now that the approvals have been dropping, I've just figured 229.5/A40 is certainly good enough for a 20 year-old 5 series. That said, just yesterday I did an OC and swapped out Edge Euro for M1 Euro because of the generous rebates from Mobil and Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back