tips to avoid bringing back bed bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will be going on trip that i will be staying at 3 different hotels. all of them are 3.5 star or higher. on one of the reviews of a hotel a person complained of bed bugs. So what are precautions i can take to avoid bringing them home with me if there indeed are some.

would hate my home to be infested with them

Check the sheets and under the mattress with a flashlight, if you see a bedbug there are anywhere else, leave. Never ever put anything on the floor - put all shoes, clothes, suitcases, etc up on the desk, dresser, etc. Zip your suitcase closed while it's in the room. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

We have a pest control tech who takes care of our house every 3 months or so. I've had a couple conversations with him, since we frequently travel.

Bedbug registry is a decent source of information.

A good way to test is to take 4 quarters, warm them in the palm of your hand, turn back the bedsheets, set them on each corner of the bed, and breath on them. The bedbugs are attracted to the temperature and CO2, and you'll see them in a few minutes. Other obvious signs are blood stains and the bedbugs themselves.

He also advises calling a hotel and asking about their bedbug program. A hotel without a program won't answer the question. A hotel with a solid eradication program will be happy to show it off.

The bed should be checked with a light. You don't have to take everything off, but untuck the sheets at each side and make sure there are no bugs crawling along the "hem" of the mattress.

If you tend to sit on hotel couches (anything with cloth cushions), check those as well. There are other reasons why I don't sit on cloth hotel couches but rules here won't let me mention them.

Also if the hotels have a comforter that isn't inside a duvet cover, toss that aside and don't touch it. Again, forum rules prohibit me from explaining why.

And decorative pillows that don't have cases = don't sleep on them.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Other obvious signs are blood stains and the bedbugs themselves..

What sorta motels are ya staying at?...the sketchy type with the half lit sign out front?...‚...Any stains on the bedding and I'm oooooout!

OP, when I have to stay in a motel/hotel...I try and keep what I can in my luggage but if something must come out, i put it on a hanger. You can also pack along some garbage bags with twist ties for storage. If you're really paranoid consider a cheap plastic mattress cover. Bed bugs don't like light, so they're not going to be out in the open having a cigarette... think like they would, look under the mattress and in folds, nooks and crannies around the bed like a nightstand. To find the bed bug, you must become a bed bug!...

When you get home.. quarantine your clothes. Even the clothes you come home in. Strip down in the garage or foyer area...Everything goes into a trash bag and do that load of laundry at a laundry mat if you have one nearby. Don't reuse the plastic bag. The idea is to mitigate the chances of bringing them into the home. Check Yelp and the local BBB to see if there are any recent complaints.

Last edited:
I normally bring a lawn and garden bag, dirty clothes go in there. Then I'll leave that bag in the vehicle for a few days when I get back, this of course is during the summer when its 100+F outside and the inside of the vehicles get 120+F to kill them.

I'll then wash the clothes in warm water and dry on high for 10 or so minutes. Never had an issue.

Fun Fact: While motels and hotels have a bed bug stigma around them, did you know bed bugs can also be found in movie theaters? Didnt know that until an old Army buddy of mine started working for Orkin. Apparently some of their biggest clients are theaters along with hotels and motels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

What sorta motels are ya staying at?...the sketchy type with the half lit sign out front?...‚...Any stains on the bedding and I'm oooooout!

Since you're having a bit of difficulty comprehending, no, we don't stay at motels. Usually higher end resorts, but that doesn't automatically preclude the possibility of bedbugs. Since education is the real key, one should look for both the hidden and obvious signs of bedbugs in any hotel, motel or resort. Looking for obvious signs should be intuitive, but since the original poster requested information and doesn't seem to be someone who often travels, the obvious needed to be pointed out.

And no, I've never seen a bedbug, primarily because I understand all of the precautions to take which include looking for all of the signs of a potential infestation.

Comprend pequeño?

I have not stayed in a hotel/motel in a very long time. Reading this thread makes me want to continue with that. Otoh, if one has to stay it's good know what to look for and what to do to reduce chances of bringing them home.

Another reason to avoid close contact with people.
Getting a cold / flu and pick-pockets etc.

OP, I like the idea of putting all your cloths in a plastic bag.
If I was really worried, I'd then bug-bomb the bag, then wash the cloths and discard the bag.

Bed Bugs, Lice, Ticks, and Fleas.
I, like another poster said, NEVER make myself too comfortable on cloth covered couches.

Enjoy your trip.

We have a pest control tech who takes care of our house every 3 months or so. I've had a couple conversations with him, since we frequently travel.

Every 3 months? Isn't that kinda excessive?

Those bug bombs don't work. If possible, find a hotel with tile floors. Also, a lot of hotels have headboards that are screwed or bolted to the wall, that's usually primo living conditions for bed bugs. Bring a small LED flashlight, look for small specks, that's a tell-tale sign, around the head boards. Pull the mattress back and look under tags and any spots where bedding or mattress material overlap, bed bugs are nocturnal, they like it dark, warm and moist. Leave your AC on when you leave the room. Like others said, don't put anything on the floor if possible. Unpack in the garage or outside somehow and look over your suitcase. Store your suitcases in the garage or attic. If you live in a hot climate, storing suitcases in the attic can kill them if it gets above 120 degrees or so.

Originally Posted by supton

No 3 months is the standard treatment for homes down here. My lawn needs sprayed every 6 weeks, or the fire ants will come back. I fired my guy after seeing what little he does. I bought professional chemicals that the pros use, bought a professional sprayer, and I do the job myself every 3 months and do a WAY batter job than the pest guy every did. $400 a year for a company to do a bare minimum job? Or do it yourself for about $40 a year?

Since you're having a bit of difficulty comprehending, no, we don't stay at motels. Usually higher end resorts, but that doesn't automatically preclude the possibility of bedbugs. Since education is the real key, one should look for both the hidden and obvious signs of bedbugs in any hotel, motel or resort. Looking for obvious signs should be intuitive, but since the original poster requested information and doesn't seem to be someone who often travels, the obvious needed to be pointed out.

And no, I've never seen a bedbug, primarily because I understand all of the precautions to take which include looking for all of the signs of a potential infestation.

Comprend pequeño?

Wow, who peed in your coffee...I was being facetious. Funny, ya know?

And fwiw, high end establishments aren't immune to bed bugs... just look at Trump's Doral resort....

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by supton

No 3 months is the standard treatment for homes down here. My lawn needs sprayed every 6 weeks, or the fire ants will come back. I fired my guy after seeing what little he does. I bought professional chemicals that the pros use, bought a professional sprayer, and I do the job myself every 3 months and do a WAY batter job than the pest guy every did. $400 a year for a company to do a bare minimum job? Or do it yourself for about $40 a year?

You don't need an applicators license for professional grade insecticides?

Comprend pequeño?

Wow, who peed in your coffee...I was being facetious. Funny, ya know?

And fwiw, high end establishments aren't immune to bed bugs... just look at Trump's Doral resort....

Yeah, all it takes is for the previous guest to bring them in and bingo, instant infestation. Doesn't matter what the price of the place is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back