Do you use gas brand exclusively ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Are you referring to when I mentioned "Kroger" ? Never heard of them ? They're the largest grocery store chain in the US....
grin.gif
It's easy for us to spend a few hundred dollars there each month plus we get our prescriptions from there too. We normally get $0.30-0.40 off per gallon and often enough get $0.60 off per gallon. One time, and one time only I think, we've gotten $1.00 per gallon.

Not if you separate out all the brands under the "Kroger" umbrella. Overall Kroger isn't that large or well known until you add in the revenue from King Soopers, Ralphs, Dillons, etc. Only then does it become the "largest" by revenue.

If you look at number of stores, Walmart is significantly larger by nearly a thousand branded stores in the US that sell groceries.

My buddy Dave owns a local no-name gasoline station, he used to buy his gasoline from whatever jobber calls him with a good price.

His business wasn't doing all that well until he got hold of a bunch of those "top tier" stickers and put them all over his pumps and increased his price by 40 cents a gallon. Now cars are waiting in line to pay a premium price for his top tier gasoline. With all of this business he should be able to retire comfortably in a couple of years at this pace.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
His business wasn't doing all that well until he got hold of a bunch of those "top tier" stickers and put them all over his pumps and increased his price by 40 cents a gallon.

So he is committing fraud? And I'd think 90% of the public don't even know what top tier means.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Are you referring to when I mentioned "Kroger" ? Never heard of them ? They're the largest grocery store chain in the US....
grin.gif
It's easy for us to spend a few hundred dollars there each month plus we get our prescriptions from there too. We normally get $0.30-0.40 off per gallon and often enough get $0.60 off per gallon. One time, and one time only I think, we've gotten $1.00 per gallon.

Not if you separate out all the brands under the "Kroger" umbrella. Overall Kroger isn't that large or well known until you add in the revenue from King Soopers, Ralphs, Dillons, etc. Only then does it become the "largest" by revenue.
Kroger owns them. They could change the names to all of the others to Kroger tomorrow if they chose too. They simply choose not to.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
If you look at number of stores, Walmart is significantly larger by nearly a thousand branded stores in the US that sell groceries.
I specifically said "grocery store chain" for this reason. Walmart isn't considered a grocery store by the folks that determine this stuff. Yes, they sell groceries. So does Target but no one calls Target a grocery store.

Originally Posted by atikovi
His business wasn't doing all that well until he got hold of a bunch of those "top tier" stickers and put them all over his pumps and increased his price by 40 cents a gallon.

So he is committing fraud? And I'd think 90% of the public don't even know what top tier means.

How do we know it is top tier? - Well if there is a sticker saying top tier, it has to be top tier!

How do we know it is top tier? - Well if there is a sticker saying top tier, it has to be top tier!

This sounds like one of those, i know a guy who has this friend who went to HS with a girl who's husband sells fake gas and made millions......‚

Originally Posted by bbhero
Roll your eyes all you want....

There is a huge difference between top tier gas and welfare food stamp gas in terms of additives...

Shell and Exxon and BP lead the pack... By a wide margin over Speedway and Pilot....

Interesting find
Do you know where this data came from ?
I only ask because I buy Shell every time I can

Absolutely agree. Those looking for Top Tier know to look on the website for approved member brands. The average consumer doesn't just pull up to a gas station, see a Top Tier sticker on a pump and say to themselves, "jackpot, I found one! Who cares that it's a ridiculous attention grabbing .40c more per gallon. I'm all in!"

Most of the time I use Exxon; my card gives me .06/gallon back. That usually translates to several cents/gallon below Walmart's prices. I'm not a member at Sam's or Costco.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

There is a huge difference between top tier gas and welfare food stamp gas in terms of additives...

Shell and Exxon and BP lead the pack... By a wide margin over Speedway and Pilot....

Now that you've established that they have more additives, you now have to show that more additives are good for the car.

The EPA mandates a minimum amount of additives to keep injectors clean. If everyone going to the cheap stations got clogged injectors, you'd see them being replaced/cleaned a lot more frequently. Never did that to any of my fuel injectors.

Look at the valves...

Using welfare gas vs better gasoline... That is top tier.

Ray Charles obvious.

EPA don't mean jack...

That is a bare minimum...

This is analogous to beef purchasing...

Any difference between rolled beef vs say Grade A top choice beef ?? Ahh yeah... Big difference.

And a big difference between Top choice grade A and beef graded Prime...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Interesting find
Do you know where this data came from ?
I only ask because I buy Shell every time I can

God's truth... I forget where I exactly found that information. I know it was on a thread somewhere on here... And I found it outside of here from some other site.

A television station did the work up on the gas. They we're the ones who produced the graphic with the additive results.

99% of my gas is from ARCO or Chevron, both are top tier brands although Chevron has the Techron proprietary additive that works so well. I wonder what additives ARCO is using to achieve top tier cleanliness.

I can't imagine anyone (especially a no-name store) would risk committing fraud by placing top tier stickers without selling the product. If caught, the fines are massive. This story is either hogwash or the store owner was very ignorant (or simply stupid).

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Now that you've established that they have more additives, you now have to show that more additives are good for the car.

The EPA mandates a minimum amount of additives to keep injectors clean. If everyone going to the cheap stations got clogged injectors, you'd see them being replaced/cleaned a lot more frequently. Never did that to any of my fuel injectors.

Look at the valves...

Using welfare gas vs better gasoline... That is top tier.

Ray Charles obvious.

EPA don't mean jack...

That is a bare minimum...

This is analogous to beef purchasing...

Any difference between rolled beef vs say Grade A top choice beef ?? Ahh yeah... Big difference.

And a big difference between Top choice grade A and beef graded Prime...

Beef is not gas.

Show your work.

If you're making the claim that more is better, substantiate it.

Yeah hoss I ain't got a laboratory...

There is photographic evidence out there capt...

Look up the difference...

Not rocket science...

And yes whether you like it or not... There a is a difference.

And yeah... Go enjoy your welfare rolled beef... It is not the same either genius.... Not like top choice grade A...

Last edited:
Yeah hoss I ain't got a laboratory...

There is photographic evidence out there capt...

Look up the difference...

Not rocket science...

And yes whether you like it or not... There a is a difference.

And yeah... Go enjoy your welfare rolled beef... It is not the same either genius.... Not like top choice grade A...

Unlike you, I don't drink gasoline. I just put it in the car and it gets me from A to B.

Basically those test don't reflect real world conditions. It's one thing to run an engine on just cheap fuel all the time, but the question is how much of it do you really need on a regular basis? Once a month? Once a year? Never? Also engine designs vary from one maker to another, what may be beneficial for one doesn't translate to all.

You basically need a good study with some good methodology. Do you know what that is?

Originally Posted by DBMaster
You will all love this. I prefer to get my fuel at QT because the station near me is one of the very few in my area selling E15.

that's why I'm getting antsy for the new Casey's I drive past going to and from work to open.

they're the only ones in the area with "unleaded 88" (e15).

QT is building like crazy down here. Cheapest gas in town and Top Tier.

Whats interesting is most of their stations have a no ethanol option as well, for about 25 cents more than their ethanol premium 93 octane product.

They run a good business, actually decent food and coffee for a gas station.

Shell has good gas and a rewards program, but most of the stations are so dumpy I don't even want to walk in to get a soda.

Wawa is spreading here. Their subs and coffee are great... which alone entice me to fill up there at times.
wink.gif

https://www.rapidrobertsinc.com/

Several nearby locations. Lots of people pumping away so new stock constantly added to the tanks. Conoco gas with an additive package described on their Web site main page. Minimal price differential between Rapid Robert's price and the cheapest joints in town. Though I use a credit card at the pump (after inspecting for added-on card reader placed by nefarious folks) sometimes I wander into the sizable convenience store and proclaim I just did a fill-up and ask for a free coffee. Results vary but when gals are present they regularly give their assent. One of the benefits of being a hunk... even at my advanced age.

Conoco is a Top Tier gas and though opinions vary as to effectiveness in comparison to non-Top Tier using the stuff does not appear to have any negative effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back