Castrol SRF Shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any inside line on what's going on with Castrol SRF? Every single vendor/company I know seems to be out of stock of this stuff.

Did it have die in it. They made them take the colored fluids off the market as they do not conform to the regulations.

Rod

You can get it from this British seller on eBay
smile.gif

Shipping seems to be $10 regardless of the number of bottles ordered

Give Motul RBF 600 a try. I tried SRF, but it was too expensive and hard to find, so I switched to Motul and it worked just as well.

No, do not. RBF600 is in daily cars, according statements from Motul itself, not quite unproblematic in daily systems (cars).
But RBF660 its
laugh.gif
(no idea why, but this IS so, Motul says). Therefore, if, better select 660 than 600.

I drive since many many changes (and years, all 2 years change) in my little daily/365days racer 50:50 Motul 5.1 and RBF660. This works, hitherto, BEST. + braided steel brake lines and I have never more a soft brake pedal. And works also impeccable with ABS and ESP.

Last edited:
I have used RBF600 in my Camaro for 16 years, in my Dodge for 10 years, and in my Corvette for 15 years.
600,000 miles of driving accumulated among the three.
200+ hours of track driving on the Corvette and Camaro.
48 US states and 6 Canadian provinces covered in the Dodge towing trailers year-round in temperatures ranging from -15F to 107F.
No problems related to brake fluid selection.
Just try to tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oliver88
We are using Endless RF650 fluid nowadays in the race cars. Impressive fluid.

I will have to look at the book again, but is that what Dan Binks said Corvette Racing used in his book "Making it Faster"?

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I have used RBF600 in my Camaro for 16 years, in my Dodge for 10 years, and in my Corvette for 15 years.

1.WOW^2. I didn't know that RBF600 is insomuch old stuff...
2. d... f... s...
21.gif
After crash Tb 3 yeras ago I lost more emails. Also a few I have correspond with Motul abouzt 5.1 and RBFs. That, whereat I spoke.
3. The only one what was and still is, are the actuelly datasheets:

"Specially designed to resist to high temperature of racing actuated brake (steel or carbon) and clutch
systems.
Exceeds DOT 5.1 and DOT 3 standards also, except for viscosity at -40°C (-40°F).

"Specially designed to resist to extreme temperature generated by racing carbonand ceramic brakes
allowing minimizingair entrance for brake cooling .
Can be also used with conventional steel discs and clutch systems actuators.
Widely exceeds DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 standards (except for DOT 5.1 viscosity at -40°C)."

4. RBF is, as mentioned, OK. But since 660 I see no one reason to use 600.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Originally Posted by A_Harman

1.WOW^2. I didn't know that RBF600 is insomuch old stuff...
2. d... f... s...
21.gif
After crash Tb 3 yeras ago I lost more emails. Also a few I have correspond with Motul abouzt 5.1 and RBFs. That, whereat I spoke.
3. The only one what was and still is, are the actuelly datasheets:

"Specially designed to resist to high temperature of racing actuated brake (steel or carbon) and clutch
systems.
Exceeds DOT 5.1 and DOT 3 standards also, except for viscosity at -40°C (-40°F).

"Specially designed to resist to extreme temperature generated by racing carbonand ceramic brakes
allowing minimizingair entrance for brake cooling .
Can be also used with conventional steel discs and clutch systems actuators.
Widely exceeds DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 standards (except for DOT 5.1 viscosity at -40°C)."

4. RBF is, as mentioned, OK. But since 660 I see no one reason to use 600.

I considered using RBF660 years ago, but I checked the wet boiling point. It was identical to the RBF600 at 204C. One should pick a racing brake fluid based on the wet boiling point, not the dry boiling point. Dry boiling point is only for advertising. Real performance on the track is governed by wet boiling point. After a brake fluid container is opened, and the fluid has been exposed to the atmosphere, dry boiling point becomes irrelevant, especially if you ever drive your car in the rain. So I decided to save a few bucks and go with RBF600. Many years later, I am still alive to tell the tale.

Yep. I know it all
wink.gif
(dry and wet boiling points).

From the emails (selfhypnosis just even...) 660 absorbing/attracting water little slowly than 600 and have less agressive pH.
True racing brake fluids must be changed in daily use every few months. Ok maybe not in Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico...

Track was not be mentionde by OP. Sorry if that is the topic.

So I decided to save a few bucks
Hmm... Why? You move Z51 Corvette on track, Z28 LS1, RAM 2500 etc.
wink.gif

ps:
Motul now with RBF700. Also with the "Can be also used with conventional steel discs and clutch systems actuators" passage. Like 660.
But not in 600 specs...

Last edited:

True racing brake fluids must be changed in daily use every few months.

Probably why Castrol was pretty proud of SRF/React due what their marketing material in Canada and the rest of the world claims "unique silicon ester technology" that allowed it to be less hygroscopic than most glycol ether-based fluids.

I have never understand SRF. With silikon, its Dot5-like. With ester, its LHM-like. You should both never put in Dot4/5.1 systems. But you may do it with SRF. Grab bag
laugh.gif
And very expensive. But i dont says, that cant works. It works. Grab bag...

Castrol says, longest using 18 Months. Conventional Dot4/5.1 fluids 24 to 36 months. Other racing fluids "few moths".

My next brake fluid for street racer is next year again 50:50 from Motul. This time with 5.1 and RBF700. I mean this should be enough for street
whistle.gif

I don't race, but my standard brake fluid is ATE SL6, Type 200 or Castrol GT LMA. I like being able to go as long as possible on brake fluid flushes.

Yep. I know it all
wink.gif
(dry and wet boiling points).

From the emails (selfhypnosis just even...) 660 absorbing/attracting water little slowly than 600 and have less agressive pH.
True racing brake fluids must be changed in daily use every few months. Ok maybe not in Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico...

Track was not be mentionde by OP. Sorry if that is the topic.

So I decided to save a few bucks
Hmm... Why? You move Z51 Corvette on track, Z28 LS1, RAM 2500 etc.
wink.gif

ps:
Motul now with RBF700. Also with the "Can be also used with conventional steel discs and clutch systems actuators" passage. Like 660.
But not in 600 specs...

OP didn't say track, but he was asking for SRF and has a Mits Evo 9 and a BMW M3, so I put it all together and assumed he was a trackhound.
One can't drive hard enough, long enough on the street to boil racing brake fluid without getting arrested. Castrol LMA is good enough for street or autocross.

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate. I figured out long ago that if I wanted to run with the big dogs on the racetrack without the benefit of large dollars, I had to do a lot of the work myself and look for value wherever I could. So I read deeply into the specs and think about what upgrades to pursue before prying open my wallet.
I've seen guys throw away high-dollar cars with all the best goodies built by the most expensive shops by assuming that the work was done correctly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oliver88
We are using Endless RF650 fluid nowadays in the race cars. Impressive fluid.

They were a minor sponsor of the M-Sport World Rally Team Fiestas a couple of years back (maybe still are??).

I wonder if they used this fluid over the SRF, since Castrol is a MAJOR sponsor of the team.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back