Castrol magnatec intelligence and noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed Castrol Magnatec with intelligent clinging molecules in my car a couple days ago. I can't tell if it's any smarter or not but what I do know is it's not any quieter which is disappointing since the engine is pretty noisy and I'd read so many posts on here that Magnatec was a quiet oil. Who here actually experienced a noise reduction from using this oil?

Last edited:
Last time I used Magnatec(winter of 2018), my engine was noisier for the whole OCI. I changed it out early to my go-to oil, QSUD and the quiet was back. I'm sticking with what works for me.

Last OCI, Magnatec 5W-30 ran quietly in my cheap Equinox.

This current OCI, Rotella GT 5W-30 is just as quiet.

In my Silverado's 5.3L engine, QSUD 5W-30 is VERY quiet.

I have changed oil in my vehicles since the 70s
I have never had one oil make any engine quieter than another to any extent I could determine
The only engine failure I have had is on a riding lawn mower engine with really clean oil in it and the
failure was not oil related
And I do not select oil hoping it will make an engine quiet. I select it for other reasons.
Too bad you are disappointed but I think you were expecting something out of that oil that was not possible
It is a really good oil and will perform nicely keeping it lubricated and functioning

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Last time I used Magnatec(winter of 2018), my engine was noisier for the whole OCI. I changed it out early to my go-to oil, QSUD and the quiet was back. I'm sticking with what works for me.

I should add to be unbiased here that, this same Magnatec oil in the same weight, purchased at the same time, and used in the same time frame in another vehicle, ran perfectly quiet.

I installed EDGE EP a week or so go ago. No difference in noise from OE fill.

Google any brand and "noise" and you'll see so many opinions on different brands and engine noise. It depends on the engine and brand.

QSUD is on my list if I don't like EDGE EP going forward.

Originally Posted by buster
I installed EDGE EP a week or so go ago. No difference in noise from OE fill.

Google any brand and "noise" and you'll see so many opinions on different brands and engine noise. It depends on the engine and brand.

QSUD is on my list if I don't like EDGE EP going forward.

Valvoline Advanced in a 30 grade!

I was one of the first Magnatec adopters at the initial release in the Semi-Synthetic form was quietest for me. It was not a good winter oil though. But otherwise a complaint free oil. Not easy to come by.

The first try of the full synthetic Magnatec (again in a 5w30) was a big step backwards - the magic was gone. Same car engine and filter brand.

I'm back with Magnatec in the Subaru and its OK. Nothing Spectacular. The prior Valvoline Advanced 0W20 gave a spectacular 9K mile UOA.

And whatever the dealer put in my VW doesn't even approach the factory fill in my VW. If they put Castrol Prof 508 in - that was NOT the FF. Not noise but responsiveness and recovery from stuck rings. FF was likely a real synthetic It sure ran like one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Last OCI, Magnatec 5W-30 ran quietly in my cheap Equinox.

This current OCI, Rotella GT 5W-30 is just as quiet.

In my Silverado's 5.3L engine, QSUD 5W-30 is VERY quiet.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet. We're lubwicating ENGINES!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
HA! Elmer!

I can just imagine Elmer Fudd trying to change oil on his hunting truck or Jeep, and Bugs Bunny fouling things up in his inimitable style.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I installed Castrol Magnatec with intelligent clinging molecules in my car a couple days ago. I can't tell if it's any smarter or not but what I do know is it's not any quieter which is disappointing since the engine is pretty noisy and I'd read so many posts on here that Magnatec was a quiet oil. Who here actually experienced a noise reduction from using this oil?

I'm running Edge which apparently only has moron particles, and it keeps my engine quiet.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by dogememe

I'm running Edge which apparently only has moron particles, and it keeps my engine quiet.

lol i installed a new audio system now i don't have to hear the pitiful four cylinder engine noise. i guess i should have bought the dumber oil.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
I have changed oil in my vehicles since the 70s
I have never had one oil make any engine quieter than another to any extent I could determine
The only engine failure I have had is on a riding lawn mower engine with really clean oil in it and the
failure was not oil related
And I do not select oil hoping it will make an engine quiet. I select it for other reasons.
Too bad you are disappointed but I think you were expecting something out of that oil that was not possible
It is a really good oil and will perform nicely keeping it lubricated and functioning

I have. My LS1 was much more refined with 0-30 German castrol than it was with anything else. Other vehicles? Not so much. That LS1 though...

And you just happened to have selected good engines …

Some companies need to quiet down their DOHC engine …
but just opt for insulation and more plastic under the hood …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back