Typical generic TPMS install costs

I called the Lexus dealer for new tmps install. He said $212 for the 1st tire and then $173 for the others which included sensor, relearn ids to ECU upload and breaking the bead. No balancing included. That is a grand of $731.

I did some research and I could buy an eBay Autel TS508 TPMS tool & senior kit which includes 8 TPMS for $320, I would clone the Lexus ids into the new Autels and do a valve stem replacement at the local independent garage for $40. That grand total is $360 plus I would have a tmps tool to do good deeds with and four 433mhz Autel sensors valued at $120,

If I sell the sensors at $100, my net costs would be $260.
For $220 the breakdown includes 4 sensors and a TS508. This would mean I paid $100 for the tool. Not bad.

My wife says I should not do this since the local garage mechanic needs to feed his family and buy shoes for the kids.

She is probably right, but I think I will keep on dreaming,

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend the aftermarket offerings.

I would however recommend building a TPMS canister/pipe bomb.
Very popular mod over on the Lexus boards. If my sensors were failing, that's the first thing I'd think of!
IIRC, once you convert to the canister setup, you can run regular valve stems in your current wheels (no more need to remove tires to replace the sensors etc).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
My wife says I should not do this since the local garage mechanic needs to feed his family and buy shoes for the kids.

She is probably right, but I think I will keep on dreaming,

Devils advocate, if something goes wrong in the shop, they fix it and have a warranty. If it goes wrong on your own, you are your own warranty.

But we're talking about a 2009 Lexus right? What warranty exists on a 10 year old vehicle, besides the one that would come with a $731 TMPS replacement job?

Discount tire did them for my sonata for $45 each.

They had to do the job twice because the first manufacturer was not compatible with my system.

Let them do it.

Lexus is probably Denso, probably cheap.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
But we're talking about a 2009 Lexus right? What warranty exists on a 10 year old vehicle, besides the one that would come with a $731 TMPS replacement job?

Warranty as in something happens with the current sensors.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

I assume the Lexus parts warranty is similar to the Toyota parts warranty of one year,

Originally Posted by JustinH
Discount tire did them for my sonata for $45 each.

They had to do the job twice because the first manufacturer was not compatible with my system.

Let them do it.

Lexus is probably Denso, probably cheap.

That's a bargain. Do u know what manufacturer they put in?

Lots of tire shops have the tools to do all sorts of cars. Just call and ask. And they probably just charge the normal $5-$10 to rebuild them. I think when I was at Costco and had a bent rim, they only charged me $15 to swap the sensor. I suppose if you just bought the right sensors, a tire shop should be able to swap them and program them for you assuming they have the right tools.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

You could always do what my wife does: just let the light stay on all the time
smile.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
There are a set of 4 sensors on Ebay for around $50.

And the hacked techstream software plus cable for another $20.

"Pacific" brand = Denso = OE.

I bought VDO sensors off of Amazon for $52 for a 2-pack (they're currently $67) and Discount Tire installed them. I want to say it was about $20/tire, which also included programming the sensors and (re-)balancing the tires. Walmart's tire center will do them as well. The one near me was about $10/tire plus $19 for programming or $60 total. I ended up at Discount Tire - where I always buy tires from - because WM wasn't "convenient" (said I'd have to leave my car and it would be 4-5 hours before they could get to it). I was in and out of DT in under an hour.

Here's the VDO part for a Lexus ES350: https://smile.amazon.com/VDO-SE1000...;qid=1568772008&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Originally Posted by Mackelroy
Why do they have to rebalance the tires, you only half to break down one sidewall to replace, tire doesn't move on the rim.

Some shops take the entire tire off the rim to install the TPMS.

Researched local Pa TPMS install prices per tire. (No tire balancing is done)

Lexus. : $212 Denso Sensor, upload new ids, do ECU relearn
AAA : $114 Mohawk Sensor, clone id, no relearn
NJ tire : $90 unknown Sensor, clone id, no relearn
HomeBrew: $37 Autel Sensor, clone id, no relearn includes tire installer cost to install new sensor

Update:
AAA NJ : $224 unknown sensor, clone id, no relearn

Last edited:
$212 for a sensor is highway robbery. My genuine Denso was 30-something and my generic Pacific (indistinguishable) right around $20.

Maybe call a yota dealer.

Originally Posted by eljefino
$212 for a sensor is highway robbery. My genuine Denso was 30-something and my generic Pacific (indistinguishable) right around $20.

Maybe call a yota dealer.

@eljefino Agree!
Where did u buy your sensors from?

TireRack recommends Thompson Toyota who will mount/install a new tire, Hunter Force balance, and includes TPMS service for $45 per tire. Add a Rockauto OE Denso 500-0130 for $35, and you are out the door for $80.

Always looking for the most cost effective method.

I just purchased an Autel TS508 and looking forward to cloning ids for my four winter tires.

Last edited:
Allow me to add to the TPMS pricing hysteria which is totally laughable to the knowledgeable and financially painful to the greater gullible general public. Without a doubt or pause, my wife belongs in this category.

Called a local PA Toyota dealer in Montgomery County, and asked for 2014 Toyota Venza TPMS replacement.

Labor 1hr $130 + $80 Toyota Sensor
The service advisor said the labor was for re-learn.
Total $210

Insane pricing.

Back