Offset print oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this forum has the techs who work but a long shot.We engage in www.deluq.com mostly to India, link is basic but directional. Most of these machines mainly Komori or Hedelberg we always use regular conventional lubrication oil tear down or set up but hear a lot about H1 high-performance lubricants. Any one here who does machinery install or have experience with printing or packing machinery oil usage especially given some of them are used in food industry?

Why would you need a Food Grade lubricant unless your print products come into direct contact with food products?

Originally Posted by Matt_Pill
Not sure this forum has the techs who work but a long shot.We engage in www.deluq.com mostly to India, link is basic but directional. Most of these machines mainly Komori or Hedelberg we always use regular conventional lubrication oil tear down or set up but hear a lot about H1 high-performance lubricants. Any one here who does machinery install or have experience with printing or packing machinery oil usage especially given some of them are used in food industry?

Why not use what is recommended in the operation manual?

if there was ever a time to say "just use any 10 to 30 weight oil it would be now. These are not tough applications for lubrication.

I managed the maintenance department for a large web and sheetfed printer for 12 years. On the web side it was Heidelber/Harris M1000 and Komori System 38 presses. Sheetfed presses were Heidelberg Speedmasters and MAN Roland R700 series. We were a Mobil house. In the oil room we had MobilGear SHC 627, 629, and 630 oil, alongvwith a Mobil Vactra #2 and various DTE oils for balers and flat cutters.

I know the M1000s were SHC630. I believe the sheetfeds were 627 and 629 depending on manufacturer. Anytime we'd get new equipment I'd give the OEM oil name and specs to my Mobil rep and they would cross reference to a Mobil product.

Although our SHC oils had similar numbers, they were not interchangeable. One Sunday night the press crew was doing a full press oil change on our six unit M1000. The pressrooom forgot to order SHC630, so the press helper saw the 629 and thought, 629, 630 they got to be almost the same and filled all six print units, 38 gallons each unit 629. We had to drain, flush and refill all units with 630. Both oils ran about $15/gallon! That was a $7000 mistake. The oil room was locked after that incident.

As far as food grade greases, contact any of your local printing suppliers (Prisco, etc.). They have multiple food grade options for delivery chains and such.

CB

Thank you, your response is the most practical and experienced. We use Mobil all day on all machines as well but apparently there are new age lubricants being pushed from Japan and Germany. Wow, that that helper issue is so unfortunate, probably lack of training.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Why would you need a Food Grade lubricant unless your print products come into direct contact with food products?

Well it does, depending on the printing use. Some of the packaging in less strict countries just goes directly wrapping the food products, eitherway thats what the customer wants!

Here is some info on the classes of food grade lubricants (FGL):

Food Grade Lubricants

I would find out from your customers exactly which Category of FGL you must meet so you don't purchase overly expensive FGL's you don't need.

Companies such as Lubrication Engineers, Schaeffer Oil, Amsoil, and others produce FGL's.

Last edited:
The new machines require ISO-VG68. Mobilgear 600XP68. Same as it has always been. The oil in the press is not an issue, the grease, and ink and other chemicals are, those MUST be food grade.

As to inks, i think most ink oils these days are either soy or soy-ester based ink oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back