Any BMW LL04 recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 for my diesel which requires LL04 oil but I've finally run out of my stash. It seems there isn't much to pick from except from the dealer who sells the BMW branded oil. Is there any better? It seems I can't find any LL04 oil the local car parts shops so it looks like I'll have to order online. How do Motul, Castrol, Pentosin, etc rate amongst themselves? Any help would be appreciated

Total Ineo LongLife can be had on Amazon in the three pack for a decent price. Also Ravenol VMP in the 20L box in on a good sale right now at BlauParts.

PP Euro L is LL-04 and available at Walmart in the 5qt jug
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

This is good choice too. For some reason I was thinking this is hard to get in USA but maybe that's only true for the LX.

smile.gif

What is the price of this oil?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
smile.gif

What is the price of this oil?

About $25 for a 5qt jug. A single quart is about $7

That's interesting on the Pennzoil. And it's advertised as full synthetic. That's probably the stuff the dealer sells.

What about pentosin super performance III? How does that rank? I'm not really concerned about price as I change oil maybe once or twice a year

BMW switched to Shell a couple years ago so it's likely the BMW oil is the same as the Pennzoil.

I've never used Pentosin oil but have used other fluids. If it carries the right approvals, it's good to go.

Last edited:
I have no understanding of the way oils are made, so how is Pennzoil able to sell that oil so cheap? And the bmw branded Pennzoil is about $7 (obviously a major markup but still very cheap). That's probably less than they charge for windshield washer fluid. Has me confused

I don't know what it costs them, but every major manufacturer typically has 5 quart synthetic jugs for around $18-23 each, depending on the product line. You can pay more for boutique oil if you want, but it doesn't guarantee a better product.

Also you can actually get an online rebate for that oil too, making it dirt cheap.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prom...eS9TcHJpbmdNSVIxOS9zdG9yZWxvY2F0b3IuY2Zt

Last edited:
Originally Posted by M3m3x5
I have no understanding of the way oils are made, so how is Pennzoil able to sell that oil so cheap? And the bmw branded Pennzoil is about $7 (obviously a major markup but still very cheap). That's probably less than they charge for windshield washer fluid. Has me confused

Same oil cost 40€ for 4 L over here. But its name is shell helix ultra ect 5w-30.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I don't know what it costs them, but every major manufacturer typically has 5 quart synthetic jugs for around $18-23 each, depending on the product line. You can pay more for boutique oil if you want, but it doesn't guarantee a better product.

Also you can actually get an online rebate for that oil too, making it dirt cheap.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prom...eS9TcHJpbmdNSVIxOS9zdG9yZWxvY2F0b3IuY2Zt

PP Euro L Typical properties is pretty darn good

Originally Posted by M3m3x5
That's interesting on the Pennzoil. And it's advertised as full synthetic. That's probably the stuff the dealer sells.

What about pentosin super performance III? How does that rank? I'm not really concerned about price as I change oil maybe once or twice a year

PP Euro L is not the same as BMW TPT 5W30 LL04. Different pour point, and BMW TPT has extremely low NOACk (6.8%).
Pentosin Super Performance III is true synthetic oil, and you really cannot go wrong with it. It is step up from PP Euro L. Now, is it worth the price difference, that is questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back