Update on my Stihl BG 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
My previous post was about my disappointment with the performance of my new BG 86 handheld blower. I did a bit of tuning and got it running perfect (no longer factory lean). Although better, but still not what I expected as it was not much more powerful than my husky.
On my way home from work I stopped by the Ace Hardware where I bought it and explained to the Stihl guy I was not impressed with its performance and I would like to return it and discuss a backpack unit. He was great and said bring it back and all you will pay is the difference.
So, I exchanged it for the BR 600 and this is the real deal folks. Although it was expensive, the BR 600 gets every bit of spider webs off stucco, around the windows, wet dirt off the floor, it will even push kids down our drive on their bikes and is light enough that my 9 year old can use it, I love it. Its everything I was expecting in the BG 86 but maybe my expectations were a bit high.
If anyone is looking for a backpack unit, look at the BR 600, its serious!

[censored] yeah! I have the BG 56 (similar to the 86) and the 600. The 600 is a serious machine... Stihl's landscaper marketed/commercial duty staple blower. You will not be disappointed!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a "4-mix" aka 4-stroke engine, that uses regular 50:1 mixed 2-cycle gas, complete with overhead valves, a cam, etc. They do need adjustment, the recommended time to do a valve 'check' is 135 hours. Do keep that in mind if you are using it heavily.

Last edited:
I have a BG-86 and I find it acceptable for my rural Florida yard (we don't have major leaf piles like folks up north) . However, like the OP has discovered, it's not the powerhouse that a quality backback blower is.

Keep in mind that handheld blowers with major power are very difficult and fatiguing to use, as the thrust pushes the users arm back. That may be one reason backback blowers are the only way you can get real power in a portable.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
[censored] yeah! I have the BG 56 (similar to the 86) and the 600. The 600 is a serious machine... Stihl's landscaper marketed/commercial duty staple blower. You will not be disappointed!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a "4-mix" aka 4-stroke engine, that uses regular 50:1 mixed 2-cycle gas, complete with overhead valves, a cam, etc. They do need adjustment, the recommended time to do a valve 'check' is 135 hours. Do keep that in mind if you are using it heavily.

That sounds overly complicated for essentially a 2-stroke blower.

Its really just like a 4t, you just rum premix, runs like one too. Smooth idle, starts easy. I also have a FS 111 Stihl trimmer and has the 4 mix, that trimmer is also a serious machine as well.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Its really just like a 4t, you just rum premix, runs like one too. Smooth idle, starts easy. I also have a FS 111 Stihl trimmer and has the 4 mix, that trimmer is also a serious machine as well.

That's just what it is. It is not a 2-stroke blower. They actually do have valves/cam/etc. They're super reliable and I'm just pointing it out of OP is a heavy user that is simply something to keep in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back