Welding Rusted Control Arm Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

2005 Chevy Equinox. Coworker of mine had the control arm mount for the rear suspension on the driver side welded back on to the chassis at a small shop. A plate was welded on to the chassis and then the mount welded on to the plate. The plate is visible in the photo but, because undercoating has been sprayed on, not much detail is visible.

The plate I don't think was fabricated at the shop but, rather, bought. The plate is thick enough to make fabrication difficult. Dorman is who I thought might have supplied it but I cannot find it on the Dorman site. Anyone know who makes this plate?

Equinox.jpg

Can't tell much from the pic, no more distant shot for context, too little lighting, odd angle, and yeah the undercoating doesn't help either.

Is this a flat plate or simple linear bends like you could do on a big metal brake, or complex bends or curves bent to the contours of the vehicle?

Why don't you just ask the friend to show you the receipt with the parts list, or ask the shop?

Last edited:
Having owned a shop who did odd metal fab for rust, I doubt there is a dedicated Dorman part number for a plate to fix rust in this particular application ('05 Equinox).
It's most likely to be a fab'd piece, perhaps from plate stock.

The pics don't do the welds justice, IMO. They look like little boogers to me.

The plate has two linear bends, neither of them a full 90 degree, to make it conform to the chassis. The plate is about 3/16 in thick and the bends are nicely made on equipment a small shop would not have. The plate dimensions are 5 ins width and 7 ins length
I don't think a receipt was issued for the job..

I had a small shop and I had a brake that could handle 3/16. Maybe they did too.
I can't find any part number for that area of an Equinox.

I think a better pic of the repair area would be easier to assess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back