Injector Cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running an injector cleaner that uses a kerosene carrier is NOT the same thing as adding straight kerosene to the crankcase - as the original comment is implying.

The "Techron in Chevron" statement is fine for folks in the U.S. but it doesn't apply to us here. However both Petro Canada and Shell Canada gasolines are in the Top Tier program so they do have more additives (although I don't know what they are).

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Quote:
ok, what everyone needs to see is that techron is already in chevron's gasoline when you pump it into your car, same with shells clean system gasoline it already has the additives in it. thats why their gas is more expensive not just because it's name brand gas. the only time you should use the EXTRA injector cleaner is when you go to a mom and pop or fast stop discount gasoline. its not that their gas isn't as good as the name brands its just cheaper because it doesn't have the additives and your engine can gunk up after repeated use of those kinds of gasoline. but thats after years of use not just a tank. it won't rob you of performance after one trip. when you dump a bottle of the injector cleaner or engine gas treratment in your car you are pretty much dumping straight kerosine in your car. because believe it or not kerosine is a great old fashion and fast way to completely clean your internals, I have seen it done.
people would drain the oil from their car and then put a little bit of kerosine in their and let it idle for a minute or two, drain it and put new oil in. that injector cleaner is basically the same thing just not as strong. you can't drive with the kerosine in or else you'll hurt your seals so you just let it idlle. but again thats only for people who have like 200,000 miles on their car not 10,000 miles on a year old or brand new car. thats what those additives are made for. if you keep putting stuff like that in your car when you don't really need it, your gonna end up with oil leaking from your gaskets.

What do you think about that ?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Those Gumout MSDS PDF's that I referenced for that data have both been changed in the last few days.

Now, both the Regane and Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner list this.

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Identity CAS No. Concentration
Kerosine 8008-20-6 60.00 - 70.00 %
Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
64742-54-7 30.00 - 40.00 %
Blend of kerosine and additives.

Did they go and change the formula on us?! First Chevron did it with the Techron, and now Gumout....

I'm going to have to order some Redline SI-1.

Many companies are redoing their MSDS to be less specific as to protect their formulas - I wonder if this is the case or if they have actually reformulated with another ingredient other than PEA.

Johnny - any insights here on the Regane as it would be a shame if they have cheapened it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
My source tells me that they are still use PEA in the REGANE and the Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner.

Then it is probably so, and good to know. I haven't re-checked those MSDS but I looked just a couple days ago, so the change must have been recent.

Too bad they are taking away probably the primary reason we have been relying on to use their product - you'd think if they had the good stuff in there, they'd want people to know it.

If true this throws into question the compositions of many other cleaners that have not listed PEA on their MSDS. Also it makes it look likely that the Techron change a while back might have been only to the MSDS and not to the formula - it too probably still contains PEA.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I have no mufflers on my car, which lets the exhaust flow pretty freely through the cats. That might contribute to the problem by making the cats less efficient.

Not a chance of this sir. Not a chance. The cats are FAR more restrictive than the mufflers are. They pose a much greater restriction to the flow of exhaust than mufflers do. Which really isn't much anyways.

This is why removing the factory H-pipe and replacing it with an off-road one on a Mustang yields an HP gain (and so do high-flow aftermarket cats) and replacing the mufflers but leaving the factory h-pipe does not.

Quote:
My source tells me that they are still use PEA in the REGANE and the Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner.

I know this to be true, but I seem to get better "seat of the pants" results with Regane than the Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner.

I can't explain it.

Last edited:
Lucas is a very known car product. I use the oil stabilizers because the origin of my Bonneville is that someone took very good care of it, and hardly ever drove it, but it was stolen, and sitting in a field for five years. I just bought it from a commissioners auction about a year ago. I knew it was hit or miss whether it would run right then, and there. I put a battery, and 5 gallons of gas in it, and it started right up. It was always losing spark, so I went to dollar tree, bought their additives, and it stopped losing spark. Then I put Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in and it seemed to run better. A year goes by I put every fuel additive from the dollar tree in their because it was having acceleration, and idling problems. After I put that in it ran great. I am currently having trouble with cracked valve seals, and I am thinking about oil changing, and putting more Lucas in there. But I think Lucas works very well. I just don't know if it works that well.

I was originally talking about Lucas's injector cleaner, but then I told the story of my 92 Bonneville. It now has a problem I don't know if Lucas can help or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back